Aligned my ZJ today - looks okay? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Aligned my ZJ today - looks okay?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 01-13-2014, 12:11 PM   #1
stevekris73
1993 ZJ 

Aligned my ZJ today - looks okay?

Got my car back from alignment today. As expected, the toe-in was pretty off and the workshop adjusted it. My ZJ has a budget lift 2-3" (guess) - unfortunately it was installed by a previous owner and I don't know too much about it.

Got this data sheet from them, and as alignment isn't my strongest sid
…does it look okay - considering the lift?

The reason I've gotten in aligned in the first place is i suspected the toe-in was wrong as I've changed a lot of steering/suspension parts lately (as it was, and is adjusted) but I also feel the car "follows the road" too much - especially on winter/snowy/icey roads.

I suspect my steering gearbox is worn (on the will-change-it-soon list) and that may be the problem - but I worry about the lift (although a small one) having a negative impact on caster/camber etc- hence the question about the data sheet

Thanks in advance for any inputs guys!

stevekris73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2014, 06:04 PM   #2
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

No expert, but the camber is out of spec on the right front tire. Not sure if it's enough to worry about.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2014, 11:56 PM   #3
stevekris73
1993 ZJ 

Roger that. Anyone knows/have a link to what the specs should be for reference?
Unread 01-14-2014, 12:12 AM   #4
stevekris73
1993 ZJ 

According to several threads, including this http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/a...stion-1570826/, castor should be 6.5-7.5. Should I have the workshop adjust it - or just leave it?
Tried the jeep on icey roads this morning, and the toe adjustment helped alot btw.
Unread 01-14-2014, 09:19 AM   #5
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Caster is fine, even tho it is slightly out of spec. Due to the lift.

The camber being off could cause a pull to one side, maybe a little uneven tire wear. Looking at the numbers again I would say don't worry about it. It's less than a half degree off. Good to go IMO
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 11:39 AM   #6
stevekris73
1993 ZJ 

Thanks, thats good to know! Guess I'll leave it as is then and turn my attention to my really worn steering-gearbox and trackbar to try improve my wandering jeep a bit more:-)
Unread 01-27-2014, 02:30 AM   #7
love2offroad
1994 ZJ 

I thought my bad steering was due to a worn gearbox too... considering after lifting it and trying various suspension parts didn't seem to help. I bought new tires and the guy at the shop was doing a shake test and there was tons of movement. He had no idea what it was. I took a look and saw the whole upper arm moving. Needless to say I replaced the upper arms with adjustable arms to get rid of play, AND fix my pinion angle that was binding my new driveshaft u-joints. Problem solved. Look into it before you replace the gear box and realize you wasted a bunch of money.
Unread 01-27-2014, 03:08 AM   #8
stevekris73
1993 ZJ 

Thanks for the tip, I'll be sure to check that out!
Its btw a LOT better after alignment, and I do think the steering box is shot, the car got 221K miles on it and typically adjusting the adjustment screw pretty much solves it but just for a while...

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2offroad
I thought my bad steering was due to a worn gearbox too... considering after lifting it and trying various suspension parts didn't seem to help. I bought new tires and the guy at the shop was doing a shake test and there was tons of movement. He had no idea what it was. I took a look and saw the whole upper arm moving. Needless to say I replaced the upper arms with adjustable arms to get rid of play, AND fix my pinion angle that was binding my new driveshaft u-joints. Problem solved. Look into it before you replace the gear box and realize you wasted a bunch of money.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.