Alarm issue, please help? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Alarm issue, please help?

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 03-27-2013, 05:51 AM   #1
RaevynCarrion
1996 ZJ 

Alarm issue, please help?

Hi guys, I've got a 96 ZJ, Laredo with the 4.0L I6 motor and for the most part she's been wonderful to me. However, last night the alarm triggered for no apparent reason, and when I went out to check everything was running fine and working as usual. However, I locked it and went back to bed and the alarm triggered a second time. This time, though it seemed mostly okay and with still no sign of break-in, the interior lights wouldn't turn off, no matter what I tried. Any insight or possible causes/fixes would be wonderful.

RaevynCarrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 06:32 AM   #2
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Check ajar switches on doors, liftgate, and liftglass. Possibly bad switch or out of adjustment.
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 05:54 PM   #3
RaevynCarrion
1996 ZJ 

Jeep dealership says it's a broken wire based on the information I gave them. Appointment tomorrow to patch it up. Thanks!
Unread 03-27-2013, 06:11 PM   #4
RussellZJ98
1998 ZJ 

NOOO! Don't go to the dealer for this! It's a door ajar switch. a quick clip and a screw. Get one, then guess and check on the four doors until you find the right door. Plug it in, hold the switch down, then arm your alarm. If the lights stay on, try another door.
RussellZJ98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 06:44 PM   #5
RaevynCarrion
1996 ZJ 

Given that I can see where the break is in the wiring harness, and the other issues I'm having, I'm going to get the wiring checked out. The price he gave me is very reasonable, and if that doesn't fix it I'll hit a junk yard and get switches for all the doors.
Unread 03-27-2013, 06:47 PM   #6
misfit77
1996 ZJ 

Report back...I would love to hear good news from a Dealer situation.
misfit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 06:56 PM   #7
RaevynCarrion
1996 ZJ 

Will do. My particular dealer is very nice. They quoted $100 for this fix, which is much better than the $400 I was ready to pay for a new alarm system. Appointment is early in the AM, so I'll post after it's done.
Unread 03-27-2013, 07:13 PM   #8
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

from what i saw the door pin switches are different lengths for each door just so you are aware. Swapping the drivers and passenger switches does not work.
xcaliber81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 07:25 PM   #9
RaevynCarrion
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcaliber81 View Post
from what i saw the door pin switches are different lengths for each door just so you are aware. Swapping the drivers and passenger switches does not work.
If it comes to switching the pins, I'm going to do all four doors and the lift gate. But thanks for the heads up
Unread 03-28-2013, 08:09 AM   #10
RaevynCarrion
1996 ZJ 

Turns out it was the driver side switch, as originally suggested. They didn't do any unnecessary work or anything like that, and all said and done it was a bit cheaper than they quoted me. Definitely a DIY if it happens again, but I'm happy with how it turned out today.
Unread 03-28-2013, 08:11 AM   #11
misfit77
1996 ZJ 

Good to hear. Not very often you hear the fortunate stories.
misfit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 05:36 AM   #12
RaevynCarrion
1996 ZJ 

It's the second time I've taken her to this dealer, and they've been awesome both times considering the normal horror stories you hear. The first time was for a recall issue, and they fixed that in just a couple hours.

I think they might be better than most dealers because they have a business contract with the local custom truck shop, so they're getting business on the new and used ends a lot more now.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.