AirCon recharge... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > AirCon recharge...

UCF Memorial Day Savings... Save 15% today!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRCV Axles at CCOR

Unread 05-10-2015, 10:06 AM   #1
JaimeZX
1995 ZJ 

AirCon recharge...

Hey gang. I was out of town this past week, and for the first time this year, we needed to turn on the A/C. Of course it did nothing. I figured "no problem, I can deal with this until I get home in a few days, because I have a gauge/filler thing in the basement."

Then it started raining, hard. The inside windows fogged up, and without a functioning A/C I couldn't clear them. So I pulled into a nearby AdvanceAuto. In the rainy parking lot I read as much as I could on JeepForum on recharging.

At first the compressor didn't come on at all; annoyingly I had to go in and buy another can of R134 and the hose/gauge thing.

Pressure was quite low; I put in about half the can and the compressor started turning on for just about one second, then it would go off again. Based on what I was reading in other threads, I expected that by adding more freon the compressor should run longer and longer... but no joy.

I gave up when the static pressure was over 100psi. I could watch when the compressor came on the pressure would drop to below 25 and it would turn off. Then the pressure would build back up to ~100 over 5-6 seconds and the compressor would come on... back down to 25... off... back to 100.

Unfortunately this meant the compressor only runs really 10% of the time. That was enough to keep the windshield clear in the rain, but not enough to cool the vehicle in the sun.

So.... HELP! Do I put more r134? How much static pressure can the system handle???

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Looks like this guy was filming over my shoulder, almost. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/s...video-3187577/

Unread 05-10-2015, 10:36 AM   #2
94cherry
1994 ZJ 

Did you have the control knob on defrost? If so it will only cycle once in a while. Try a vent or floor setting.
Unread 05-10-2015, 11:12 AM   #3
JaimeZX
1995 ZJ 

Hm. Yes, it was on defrost, but I feel like it should've been running more than it was. I'm happy to try again though! No concern with the guage at 100psi+ ?

Edit: went outside; tried again. Vents were on "head-foot." Also, based on another thread, I made sure to check the pressure before "squirting" in more coolant since some systems measure the pressure in the fill line.

Still the same issue; static pressure seems to be up to 125 now, the compressor still kicks on and sucks it down to ~25psi, then turns off. I can keep adding r134, but the needle is approaching the top of the gauge (0-150psi) and is well into the red.
Unread 05-10-2015, 12:02 PM   #4
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

The pressure always goes through the roof when the compressor shuts off.. You're probably still low. You may have shrader valves that are leaking. Mine were both crap and wouldnt keep a charge.
StPaul59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2015, 12:39 PM   #5
JaimeZX
1995 ZJ 

DING DING DING WE HAVE A WINNER!

According to The Internet™, the gauge is only accurate when the compressor is running. So I went back out and added more; the compressor stayed on a bit longer... a bit more and a bit longer... as expected. Finally I got it to stay on. Wouldn't exactly call it "ice cold," but I also wasn't moving. We'll see how it works driving around. Thanks!
Unread 05-10-2015, 02:50 PM   #6
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

Hope it works! A lot of things go into system charge. Condition of the evaporator, fan cleanliness, ambient temperature, ect. You most likely have a leak in the evap coil. If so, its major bucks if it you have a shop do it. Less so, if you do some learning and have the cash to do it yourself.
Unread 05-10-2015, 03:47 PM   #7
JaimeZX
1995 ZJ 

Certainly possible. I didn't seem to lose any pressure over a few days; I'll check again in a month or so and we'll see what happens.
Unread 05-11-2015, 06:21 PM   #8
Taz360ZJ

was there ANY refrig in the system before you started to add any? how many oz did you add?

if it were an empty system you would need to put the system under vacuum for 30-45 mins, let it sit under vacuum for 15, then recharge it. you CAN NOT just charge up a system that was empty with out putting it under vacuum first....you can't compress the air in the system.

I just did the AC in my stock 5.9 2 weekends ago, put a good used 5.9 evap core in that i pulled from a parts truck....it had pressure in the system. installed a new condenser, new liquid line, rebuilt discharge line (5.9 specific), drier. only used parts are the OEM compressor and the aftermarket good evap core. I chemically flushed the evap out, hooked everything up, dumped 6oz of oil in, 1/4oz of dye, vacuumed it for 30, sit for 15, put 24oz of 134A in it. good as new.
Taz360ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2015, 08:33 PM   #9
JaimeZX
1995 ZJ 

Well, I guess I'll need to look into that further - air wasn't cold today. Checked the compressor and it appears to be on about 50% of the time; so I probably have a leak. *sigh*
Unread 05-12-2015, 07:06 AM   #10
jeepjeepster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz360ZJ View Post
was there ANY refrig in the system before you started to add any? how many oz did you add?

if it were an empty system you would need to put the system under vacuum for 30-45 mins, let it sit under vacuum for 15, then recharge it. you CAN NOT just charge up a system that was empty with out putting it under vacuum first....you can't compress the air in the system.

I just did the AC in my stock 5.9 2 weekends ago, put a good used 5.9 evap core in that i pulled from a parts truck....it had pressure in the system. installed a new condenser, new liquid line, rebuilt discharge line (5.9 specific), drier. only used parts are the OEM compressor and the aftermarket good evap core. I chemically flushed the evap out, hooked everything up, dumped 6oz of oil in, 1/4oz of dye, vacuumed it for 30, sit for 15, put 24oz of 134A in it. good as new.
Where did you get your vacuum pump n such? Ive got an R12 system I may be trying to fill back up (already have the R12) and I want to pull a vacuum on it to try and find any leaks.

How did you 'chemically flush' the system?

Why did you need to add oil if you used the OEM compressor?
jeepjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2015, 09:22 AM   #11
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

If the system goes dry you need to add oil as the OEM compressor on these is internally lubricated, unlike something like a york compressor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2015, 06:15 PM   #12
Taz360ZJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjeepster View Post
Where did you get your vacuum pump n such? Ive got an R12 system I may be trying to fill back up (already have the R12) and I want to pull a vacuum on it to try and find any leaks.

Bought the tools years ago when I was a tech. Mani, pump, disco tools.

Bought a can of AC flush, dispensed it in to one end of it in to the evap core, expired can, blew it out dry with shop air that has a drier system on it.

The system holds oil, I replaced the following with new components: condenser, drier, liquid line with orifice tube, rebuilt discharge line I sent off to a shop in California. replaced the evap with a good unit but I chemically flushed it out and dried it out so it contained nothing.
Taz360ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2015, 01:13 AM   #13
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjeepster View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz360ZJ View Post
Bought the tools years ago when I was a tech. Mani, pump, disco tools.

Bought a can of AC flush, dispensed it in to one end of it in to the evap core, expired can, blew it out dry with shop air that has a drier system on it.

The system holds oil, I replaced the following with new components: condenser, drier, liquid line with orifice tube, rebuilt discharge line I sent off to a shop in California. replaced the evap with a good unit but I chemically flushed it out and dried it out so it contained nothing.

Just to add some to Taz's input.

I bought a flush canister kit like the below one but a little better since it was NAPA brand.

http://www.amazon.com/FJC-2710-Syste...words=AC+flush

It doesn't come with the AC flush solvent which is pretty pricey at almost $20/qt. Believe I used about half of it in flushing out my evaporator (changed before) and OE condenser. All other parts were new including compressor.

Many parts stores have loaner AC vacuum pumps and that's where I borrowed mine. But if you have R12 fittings you're probably going to have to get some kind of adapters since the pumps are set up for 134a connections.

My 93 4.0 5-spd XJ is still set up for R12 and have a couple real old cans of it left over. Think I bought the last R12 can filler tube w/gauge in a parts store a couple years ago. As soon as the R12 is gone I have a couple conversion fittings to change it over to 134a.

While it may not be highly accurate I always liked the glass view port in my 93 at the line intersection which supposedly is green when charged. Good luck.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2015, 01:16 PM   #14
JaimeZX
1995 ZJ 

Well, I called one local shop and they quoted me $175 to squirt dye in the system. Seems excessive since I can buy a whole kit with light and goggles and 64 applications of dye for $125 on Amazon...
Unread 05-13-2015, 02:41 PM   #15
ShadowRaptor
1998 ZJ 

Somewhat related to A/C problems, I have a 98 ZJ with a replaced 4.0 and my a/c went out going down the interstate. Thought, "simple, just refill it." Turns out my compressor doesn't work, not because its bad (it was replaced before I bought the jeep) but it's receiving no power. Jumped the low-pressure switch , nothing, jumped high pressure, nothing. Checked with meter to see if power was coming into compressor and nothing. My AC button lights up but could the button be my problem? My other dd, 99 OBS Chevy k1500, had a similar issue but no power loss to compressor

TlR, no power to a/c compressor can the in dash button cause this?
ShadowRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.