airbag light - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > airbag light

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 09-13-2007, 10:22 PM   #1
MEinSoCal
2001 WJ 

airbag light

so this used jeep i just picked up already has a problem. the airbag light keeps coming on and a beep goes off like every 5 mins. what could be the problem here?

hopefully this is nothing major. that constant beep is very annoying.

MEinSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2007, 10:42 PM   #2
alivenkickin28
1995 ZJ 

unhook the battery and wait 10 min -- then reconnect to see it is coming.....
alivenkickin28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2007, 10:15 PM   #3
cavscout

A few things it could be is the clockspring in the steering wheel or the ignition cylinder.

If its either of them it will get worse.

IF you lose the horn or and other electrical controlls on the steering wheel its the clockspring.

If your windows, climate control go out its the ignition cylinder.
cavscout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2007, 10:56 PM   #4
adgjqetuo
2004 WJ 

Not to Hijack, but which is more expensive to replace? It looks like I might have the ignition cylinder problem you mentioned.

Mine once every 6-7 months goes haywire. The airbag light stays on, and the climate control doesn't turn off when the ignition is turned off. I also get some clicking in the relay box that lasts for 2-3 minutes. It'll do this for 2-3 days straight then never again until another 6-7 months or so. I've been looking for a solution for a while now.

13 Subaru Outback Limited - Current
04 Jeep grand Cherokee Overland - 23k ~ 71k - Sold
98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo SE - 73k ~ 150k - Sold
adgjqetuo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2007, 08:34 PM   #5
xjeepn
2005 TJ Wrangler 

So what was the fix?
05 X with 4.0 auto with 3" Full Traction Lift with 3/4 spacers up front, Warn M8000 winch, Hella 500 driving lights, Cobra CB with Wilson 4 ft antenna, 48" Highlift Jack, tow hooks on all corners, 2 fire ext, 4 ft shovel, some recovery gear, AEM cold air intake dry filter and riding on 33 x 12.5 Pro Comp All terrains.
xjeepn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2007, 08:39 PM   #6
gunthagunth
1997 ZJ 

I'm sure it was the clockspring.
97 ZJ 5.9L 242/4.5" RE Coils/1.75" Spacers/Clayton arms/Addco's/RE brake lines/35x12.5 bfg muds/Currie steering/K&N/Claytons Front Drop tracbar/Dropped pitman/Bilstein 5125's/JKS BPE/JKS loop conversion/JKS Sliders/ZJilla rear bumper/Clayton front winch bumper/durango steering box/warn 9000i/Hambek Customs carbon fiber cowl hood #2of16/Hp30-8.8 4.56/ARB f+r
gunthagunth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2007, 08:47 PM   #7
xjeepn
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Well my 02 GC is doing the same thing and I have looked everywhere trying to find out how to fix it. Is there some pics of this clock spring and how to replace it.
05 X with 4.0 auto with 3" Full Traction Lift with 3/4 spacers up front, Warn M8000 winch, Hella 500 driving lights, Cobra CB with Wilson 4 ft antenna, 48" Highlift Jack, tow hooks on all corners, 2 fire ext, 4 ft shovel, some recovery gear, AEM cold air intake dry filter and riding on 33 x 12.5 Pro Comp All terrains.
Unread 09-29-2007, 06:36 AM   #8
MEinSoCal
2001 WJ 

nope not yet fixed and whats a "clockspring"?
MEinSoCal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2007, 10:41 AM   #9
gunthagunth
1997 ZJ 

Clockspring is a part of your steering column right behind the steering wheel. You have to remove the airbag to get at it. I think the dealer charge is like 200 and some change for replacement. My buddy is still suffering with his airbag light dinging at him because I havent fixed it for him yet.
97 ZJ 5.9L 242/4.5" RE Coils/1.75" Spacers/Clayton arms/Addco's/RE brake lines/35x12.5 bfg muds/Currie steering/K&N/Claytons Front Drop tracbar/Dropped pitman/Bilstein 5125's/JKS BPE/JKS loop conversion/JKS Sliders/ZJilla rear bumper/Clayton front winch bumper/durango steering box/warn 9000i/Hambek Customs carbon fiber cowl hood #2of16/Hp30-8.8 4.56/ARB f+r
Unread 09-29-2007, 02:08 PM   #10
xjeepn
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Anybody point me to a pic of it. Maybe we can do this fix ourselves if we have the part.
Unread 09-29-2007, 06:17 PM   #11
gunthagunth
1997 ZJ 

Main reason people dont mess with it is the fact that you messing with your airbag could potentially end up with it blowing in your face if you mess something up. Last thing you want is to be hunched over your steering wheel, face up close inspecting something and boom. The airbag knocks your nose back into your face along with the phillips head that was in your hand. (Okay thats the worst case scenario). It is like a white plastic ring that goes around your steering column by your turn signal with wires hanging out of it.
Unread 09-29-2007, 06:50 PM   #12
gunthagunth
1997 ZJ 

This is from the 02-04's FSM but I dont see there being a difference in it. This is from a service bulletin for a creaking of the steering wheel.

1. Make sure the front wheels of the vehicle are in the STRAIGHT AHEAD position before beginning steering wheel removal procedure.

2. Open the hood and disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable from the battery.

WARNING :Wait two minutes for the airbag system reserve capacitor to discharge before beginning any airbag component service. Failure to do this could result in accidental air bag deployment and possible personal injury.

3. Remove the lower and upper steering column shrouds.

4. Remove the driver's air bag from the steering wheel. Disconnect the clock spring, speed control (if equipped), and radio control (if equipped) wiring connections.

5. Remove the steering wheel attaching nut.

6. Using the appropriate steering wheel puller, remove the steering wheel.

7. Disconnect the multi-function switch wiring connector and remove the multi-function switch.

8. Disconnect the clock spring wiring connector and remove the clock spring.

NOTE :When removing the clock spring, do not change the orientation of the clock spring inner wheel. If the orientation of the clock spring inner wheel is changed, the clock spring will have to be centered. Refer to the service information available on TechCONNECT, Refer to 8 - Restraints, Clockspring, Standard Procedure, Clockspring Centering.

===>Installation
24. Install the clock spring and its wiring connections.

25. Install the multi-function switch and its wiring connections.

26. Install the steering wheel and tighten steering wheel nut to 61 N.m (45 ft.lbs.).

27. Connect the clock spring, speed control (if equipped), and radio control (if equipped) wiring connections.

28. Install driver's air bag and tighten screws to 10 N.m (90 in. lbs.). RG/RS vehicles proceed to Step # 34

33. Install the steering column opening cover.

34. Install the upper and lower steering column shrouds.

35. Connect negative battery cable and close the hood.

NOTE :In the interest of customer satisfaction, reset the clock when the procedure is complete.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.