Air vent speed problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Air vent speed problem

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 06-07-2013, 08:51 PM   #1
jeepycreepy96
1996 ZJ 

Air vent speed problem

So my vent, defrost, or ac doesn't work on anything but high. I was looking into it and people say it's the resistor for the blower motor. Could it be anything else or do I have to spend the 150$ for a new resistor?

jeepycreepy96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 12:20 PM   #2
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

You could try to see if the connections on the rear of the fan speed control in the dash are all good. Mine was just the opposite....High wouldnt work unless I hit the dash and jolted it. I opened it up and plugged everything up good and tight. Been working fine ever since. But I think your issue MIGHT be that resistor....although not sure.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 07:10 PM   #3
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepycreepy96 View Post
So my vent, defrost, or ac doesn't work on anything but high. I was looking into it and people say it's the resistor for the blower motor. Could it be anything else or do I have to spend the 150$ for a new resistor?
Definitely the resistor.

Where the hell are you getting charged $150.00?

It's like $35.00 at all the parts stores around here.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 09:26 PM   #4
AaronButler
1996 ZJ 

ya.. 150 with labor included? the part should be relatively cheap
Unread 06-08-2013, 09:32 PM   #5
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

It's two phillips screws, what labor?

It's just a ceramic/porcelain box next to the blower motor.

I actually got one for my friends ZJ from the junkyard.

Here's the Dorman one. With the $20.00 off $50.00 coupon it's right around $35.00 with tax.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...019%7CL3*15900
Unread 06-08-2013, 10:34 PM   #6
jeepycreepy96
1996 ZJ 

All the ones I see are for a zj with climate control and the ones with climate is around 150. Like I said I'm new jeeps so I'm still learning. Maybe I'm 100% wrong which i probably am, sorry dudes
Unread 06-08-2013, 10:39 PM   #7
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

You are right. I didn't realize the ones with ATC were different.

That's $131.00 at Advance! Still with a coupon it brings it to $81.00 plus tax

I would scour the junkyard.
Unread 06-08-2013, 11:04 PM   #8
jeepycreepy96
1996 ZJ 

Yea, I'm gonna have to call around and see. Thanks for the input guys really appreciate it
Unread 06-09-2013, 05:35 AM   #9
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Before going after a blower motor power module (resistor for ATC) if you have a multimeter you should be able to check/test it 1st. Set your meter to ohms and you should have continuity between the opposite pins on the resistor itself w/the plug/connector removed.

Could you please plug your year/model/other info into your profile so we can tell what you're working on? Would assume it's a 96 since it's in your user name and maybe a Limited since it has ATC? Thanks and good luck.

BTW, below is a test for the blower motor switch, it may be for a manual HVAC system, but may work on yours if the resistor is not the problem.
blower-motor-switch-testing-p.-24-23.jpg  

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 02:01 PM   #10
jeepycreepy96
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
Before going after a blower motor power module (resistor for ATC) if you have a multimeter you should be able to check/test it 1st. Set your meter to ohms and you should have continuity between the opposite pins on the resistor itself w/the plug/connector removed.

Could you please plug your year/model/other info into your profile so we can tell what you're working on? Would assume it's a 96 since it's in your user name and maybe a Limited since it has ATC? Thanks and good luck.

BTW, below is a test for the blower motor switch, it may be for a manual HVAC system, but may work on yours if the resistor is not the problem.
hey sorry its 1996 grand cherokee limited 5.2 . just got a new resistor and the problem is still there, i checked my blower motor fuse for ****s and giggles and its fine. idk what else it could be
Unread 06-17-2013, 02:37 PM   #11
gearheadnick
1997 ZJ 

On my jeep the problem was the opposite, every speed but high worked. The solution for me was the relay inside the climate control box. I would check that. Just get the box unscrewed from the dash and pop the tabs on top and bottom to unhook the faceplate. The relay is the only black box inside, about in the middle. It's not easy to pull, the terminals hold really well.
Unread 06-17-2013, 03:19 PM   #12
jeepycreepy96
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadnick View Post
On my jeep the problem was the opposite, every speed but high worked. The solution for me was the relay inside the climate control box. I would check that. Just get the box unscrewed from the dash and pop the tabs on top and bottom to unhook the faceplate. The relay is the only black box inside, about in the middle. It's not easy to pull, the terminals hold really well.
So it behind the knobs on the actual black box?
Unread 06-17-2013, 06:58 PM   #13
gearheadnick
1997 ZJ 

Yup. The knobs pull right off.
I got a few relays from the junkyard. I didn't buy new only because every single parts store has a 5 terminal relay listed as the correct part, yet I clearly had a 4 terminal relay in my hand
I believe I used a small screwdriver on the rear of the control box to slowly work the spades off the terminals while I was pulling on the relay. It tried not coming out. I convinced it otherwise
Unread 06-18-2013, 09:16 AM   #14
jeepycreepy96
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadnick View Post
Yup. The knobs pull right off.
I got a few relays from the junkyard. I didn't buy new only because every single parts store has a 5 terminal relay listed as the correct part, yet I clearly had a 4 terminal relay in my hand
I believe I used a small screwdriver on the rear of the control box to slowly work the spades off the terminals while I was pulling on the relay. It tried not coming out. I convinced it otherwise
So I took off the trim and removed the 3 screw that hold the hvac controls and box in the dash but I couldn't remove it from the dash. It felt like it was held in by wires maybe and I didn't want to pull on it. Is there a trick to remove this?
Unread 06-18-2013, 08:23 PM   #15
gearheadnick
1997 ZJ 

There's one more piece that has to come out of the way. I'm pretty sure the gray plastic trim on the bottom has to be moved. It has spring clips and one or two screws holding it in place, and it only has to come off of the spring clips to give enough clearance for the box to come out. The wires and vacuum lines have plenty of slack to disconnect them, which may make it easier to work with. If I'm wrong and it's not the lower gray plastic that's in the way, then it's the speedo gauge cluster trim that's in the way, and that's held in with a bunch of screws.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.