Air Intake Noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Air Intake Noise

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comEliminate Hood Flutter!!!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-24-2013, 06:20 PM   #1
SAbbott812

Air Intake Noise

Ok crew,

After further investigation it seems that the woooof woooof woooof noise I have been hearing is coming from the air intake system. I did replace the TPS and AIC recently. It is a consistent and repetitive noise. You can only really hear it when stopped. Truck still runs great. Any ideas on how to fix it or what it might be?

1998 GC Laredo L6 with 192,000 miles

SAbbott812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 07:00 PM   #2
gearheadnick
1997 ZJ 

Just a guess, try doing a compression test. My reasoning is if you have a leaky intake valve, it would make noise in the intake system.
Maybe check for vacuum leaks with a can of carb cleaner?
Unread 04-24-2013, 07:25 PM   #3
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Did you take the intake tube off the throttle body and listen for the noise at/in the throttle body? I dont think I ever heard an exh manifold leak like you described but since its right under the intake and notorius for leaking, you might check that too.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2013, 09:38 PM   #4
SAbbott812

Ok, after further research, (I used the tube test.) you can hear the noise on the intake but there is no tick or knock. I cannot hear the noise on the butterfly. I found that the plastic piece on the power steering pump is the loudest source of this wooof wooof noise. Then it is slightly quieter on the metal part and quieter than that on the manifold. It appears to be a pump noise coming from the power steering. Odd but, my hearing is very good and I am constantly hearing noises that other people don't. Does this sound like a viable situation?
SAbbott812 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.