Air intake - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Air intake

1996-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelBead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearUCF Black Friday Sale

Unread 03-01-2007, 11:40 PM   #1
PaulZonChin

Air intake

Has anyone tried one of these intakes? Do you think its worth it?http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-01...89579214QQrdZ1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-04...90460007QQrdZ1

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFxuveBLv7Q[/url]
Awsome WJ Compilation
PaulZonChin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2007, 12:14 AM   #2
BigItalianBeast
1999 WJ 

i dunno how well air would get to the double intake....if you get either i would shoot for the second one. IMO
OME Steering Stabilizer, FMS40,Pioneer 4900 DVD, 15% Tint, Subs
BigItalianBeast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2007, 12:47 AM   #3
ForwardControl

Yeah the second one will give your 4.7 all the air it needs and there is probably an advantage to mounting the filter right in front of the air gap in your grill instead of right above and behind your hot *** engine. but, this is a debate that has grounded itself and will never be fully settled.

I will tell you that I splurged for a K&N FIPKII for my 4.0 and I'm very happy with it. It is of very high quality and they certainly did thier research. I don't care what the critics say, the thing DID increase my TR. I couldn't believe it...and I wouldn't go back!
2000 WJ Laredo (Champaign), 4.0L, 242 SelecTrac. [I]Added:[/I] Black front hooks. K&N FIPKII Intake. RB1 Navigation, Mopar iPod Integration. 31" BFG All Terrain T/A KO. Alpine audio upgrade (see link below). [I]Next:[/I] IRO 3" Lift, new shocks.

[B][COLOR="White"][URL="http://www.manvsbigmachine.com/users/mattlowery/misc/wjbaseaudioupgrade.pdf"]WJ Base Audio Upgrade[/URL][/COLOR][/B]

[B][COLOR="Green"][CENTER]I [I]HAVE [/I]A 4.0L In My WJ And LOVE It So *** Me Club Member #1[/CENTER][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR="Blue"][CENTER]Colorado Jeep Club Member #114[/CENTER][/COLOR][/B]
ForwardControl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2007, 12:50 AM   #4
BigItalianBeast
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForwardControl
Yeah the second one will give your 4.7 all the air it needs and there is probably an advantage to mounting the filter right in front of the air gap in your grill instead of right above and behind your hot *** engine. but, this is a debate that has grounded itself and will never be fully settled.

I will tell you that I splurged for a K&N FIPKII for my 4.0 and I'm very happy with it. It is of very high quality and they certainly did thier research. I don't care what the critics say, the thing DID increase my TR. I couldn't believe it...and I wouldn't go back!
X2...save your money and go for something that actually gives you performance....i had one on the car that i had b4 my jeep and i loved it
OME Steering Stabilizer, FMS40,Pioneer 4900 DVD, 15% Tint, Subs
BigItalianBeast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2007, 06:56 AM   #5
Ds4x4
1996 ZJ 

Hunter and Myself Both have the Turbo City Dual Intake..

I also have the Flowmaster 40 muffler so my engine temp is lower also.. The Old airbox location is open and the air dam is out of the way letting in cool air.... I'm sure it is somewhat warm air but at least if i hit some water my filters are out of the way!!

Take it for what its worth but i like it and have better throttle response and acceleration.. Hunter has had his longer so maybe he can add to it..
OME Stab.; Rustys 2" BB + shocks, xtreme hi-lift, Kennesaw Rear MultiCarrier
Proud To Be A FF/EMT/Police/Military Club Member #15
Ds4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2007, 07:38 AM   #6
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Maybe I should have cleaned mine and then taken the picture?

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2007, 07:56 AM   #7
Ds4x4
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1
Maybe I should have cleaned mine and then taken the picture?

Hunter
How come yours has a sticker on the top.. Mine didn't even come with the hardware and gasket.. I had to call to get that stuff from the factory..
It does look like your due for your filters to be clean... Did they start out Red?
OME Stab.; Rustys 2" BB + shocks, xtreme hi-lift, Kennesaw Rear MultiCarrier
Proud To Be A FF/EMT/Police/Military Club Member #15
Ds4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2007, 10:58 AM   #8
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

That picture was taken over a year ago.

Yes, they are red after a washing and re-oiling.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2007, 05:29 PM   #9
BlackShuck
2001 WJ 

I vs II

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForwardControl

Is the FIPK II a newer version? I am considering getting one for my 4.0 What is "TR?" And how much was it increased? Do you get any better gas mileage?
BlackShuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2007, 10:49 PM   #10
KJK
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShuck
Is the FIPK II a newer version? I am considering getting one for my 4.0 What is "TR?" And how much was it increased? Do you get any better gas mileage?
"TR" is throttle response.
KJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2007, 08:24 AM   #11
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

i have a "sealed" intake. airaid platic modular tube that fits from the throttle body to the stock intake box, with a true flow drop-in filter in the stock box. It works great. Most of your air restriction is in the stock resonator box. plus, there is an air duct in your grill that forces cold air into your stock air box (which is plastic), so heat is minimized, as opposed to metal heat shields that k&n uses.

If you're not into something like i have, I'd still reccomend looking into true flow filters. They are foam and filter much better than paper or cotton gauze filters. They make cone filters for use with full cai set-ups.

'02 WJ: 4.7L, 5", HP44/9", 231HD, tall & skinny KM2's
'99 XJ: stock
'99 XJ: stolen
'06 XK: sold
231HD build guide
skain8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2007, 12:10 PM   #12
93ZJbeast
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skain8
i have a "sealed" intake. airaid platic modular tube that fits from the throttle body to the stock intake box, with a true flow drop-in filter in the stock box. It works great. Most of your air restriction is in the stock resonator box. plus, there is an air duct in your grill that forces cold air into your stock air box (which is plastic), so heat is minimized, as opposed to metal heat shields that k&n uses.

If you're not into something like i have, I'd still reccomend looking into true flow filters. They are foam and filter much better than paper or cotton gauze filters. They make cone filters for use with full cai set-ups.
Id like to see some pics, i tried making this and ended up completly junking my stock air filter box lid.
93ZJbeast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2007, 12:41 PM   #13
Arkansas_WJ

I might get the second one and throw a different filter on it

that tube is nice lookin but i wish it was black.

2000 WJ Limited - 4.7l, 4x4, pioneer HU w/ ipod interface, upgraded front calipers, yakima lowrider system, uniden cb w/ 4 ft firestick, 3.5" tweeter upgrade
Arkansas_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.