Air Intake - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Air Intake

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJK Vent Covers - NalinMFGRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba

Unread 08-14-2011, 04:51 PM   #1
maxwrt
1998 ZJ 

Air Intake

I was talking with my cousin and he was talking about how upgrading the air intake on his girlfriend's car not only produced a nicer sound but also increased the horsepower. I was wondering if such a product existed for the ZJ and if so, where would i find it?
(as always, if repost, apologies)

maxwrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2011, 04:55 PM   #2
Thexonexkid

1986 XJ Cherokee 

use search

or

read this

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/fa...intake-558437/
Unread 08-14-2011, 04:57 PM   #3
Thexonexkid

1986 XJ Cherokee 

the short answer is no it won't unless you actually do a real intake upgrade not just slap a cold air on it
Unread 08-14-2011, 04:57 PM   #4
jreyes0a39oz
1998 ZJ 

why waste money on that just get a supercharger like me and problem solve
jreyes0a39oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2011, 05:14 PM   #5
bobthecatkiller
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Yes it will give a nice sound and will increase horse power and possibly gas milage (if your light on the skinny peddle) but not much. gas milage maybe 1-2 more mpg and the k&n cold air intake only gives about 7hp at higher rpms. does it help? Yes does it sound cool? Yes is it worth the money? Depends... If you buy the k&n kit that's like $200 like me lol I'd say no it's not worth the $ but if you make your own with a k&n cone filter or any brand cone filter for that matter it's worth the $ they can be made for a fraction of what the k&n kit cost.
me: yaaaaa.
bobthecatkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2011, 05:15 PM   #6
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

There are plenty of options but they are expensive and don't produce much more than 1 or 2 hp. You are better of spending your money on other engine mods.

Those filters also let a ton of dust into the engine as well.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2011, 06:48 PM   #7
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Increasing gas mileage from what i've researched is generally not true. From my own experience im not sure if gas mileage went up or down. I do know there is now an awsome noise in the engine bay, and even if it didnt increase HP which it probably did a bit, the sound you gain itself is well worth it.

Here is a pic of mine, i made everything myself, cept the cone filter from spectre. I need to find a better air hat tho

Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.