Air Horn! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Air Horn!

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 04-10-2013, 01:50 AM   #1
KurtLynch

Air Horn!

Hello Fellow Jeepers
I have a Air horn on my 98 5.9 ZJ. Love it! I took the factory horn off and just ran the factory horn wire to the air Selinoid (thank I spelt that wrong) works good just like factory like I wanted. Problem is when I lock it from the remote it won't blow. It does but I don't thank the Signal is long enough. So I'm woundering if anyone knows how to make it hold the Signal longer?
Thanks Kurt

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

KurtLynch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2013, 01:52 AM   #2
KurtLynch

Meant Signal isn't long enough for it to open the valve all the way

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
KurtLynch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2013, 05:54 AM   #3
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

It's not supposed to sound long. Just a chirp. The timing can't be altered.

If you lived near me I'd probably want to kill you within a few days if it did.

Many states have laws about how loud passenger vehicle horns are allowed to be btw.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2013, 06:49 AM   #4
herqulees
1997 ZJ 

You would have to install a computer chip in line with the horn and a bunch of wiring for even a simple task like that, in basic a computer module that would see "Hey the horn wire got power for half a second, power the horn for 1second" or whatever the times are. IMO have a horn as loud as you want, OP doesn't even suggest it's an illegal train horn, just use it when it's needed meaning don't lay on it for every little squirrel that jumps in the road or idiot that cuts you off.
herqulees is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2013, 08:43 AM   #5
riot1987
Professional Wise Guy

1997 ZJ 

There was a guy who called into the radio the other day who said he put a train horn on his truck. Epic.

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2013, 10:16 AM   #6
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Truck air horns are OK in most areas, depending upon decibel levels. If it's just used as a warning device thats OK by me. But someone that has one sound when they lock their door every time would piss half the planet off, especially any time after 9pm.

Train horns are pretty much illegal everywhere. And if not cops will generally find something about your vehicle that will need a fine and fix it ticket if they hear it

I've never seen someone say they put air horns on to make it easier to warn others of danger on the road. Its almost always to be louder and more annoying to the random jerks they share the road with. Making them also jerks.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2013, 10:28 AM   #7
herqulees
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
Truck air horns are OK in most areas, depending upon decibel levels. If it's just used as a warning device thats OK by me. But someone that has one sound when they lock their door every time would piss half the planet off, especially any time after 9pm.

Train horns are pretty much illegal everywhere. And if not cops will generally find something about your vehicle that will need a fine and fix it ticket if they hear it

I've never seen someone say they put air horns on to make it easier to warn others of danger on the road. Its almost always to be louder and more annoying to the random jerks they share the road with. Making them also jerks.
For some reason the fact he's using an air horn for his alarm chirp would be highly annoying, never clicked in my head. Lol. So now I gotta agree, not the best idea, but because I'm a strong supporter of the whole air horns to wake up people on the road that are being extremely stupid, I'm not going to be arguing much. I live in Nashville, which is in the top ten for bad drivers, over 1200 deaths on the interstate last year, and my normal horn is frequently ignored while I get cut off every day on the interstate and having to slam on my brakes. Just saying IMO those horns are kinda an interstate only thing, why all big rigs have a electric city horn (pressing the steering wheel) and interstate horn (pulling the chain).
herqulees is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2013, 10:42 AM   #8
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

The circuit is pretty simple. Look up a 555 single fire delay circuit just add a relay and it should work.

I would find you and burn your house down if you built it in norcal.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2013, 10:53 AM   #9
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Relays with built-in off delay are fairly common. A quick google for 12v auto delay relay popped up some likely suspects. Should be able to find one under $30.

Of course whatever delay you dial in will also happen whenever you hit the horn.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2013, 08:52 PM   #10
BLacher
1998 ZJ 

I got an air horn too. Originally wired it up in series with factory horn. Not enough power, so I took the factory horns off. I then did not have alarm chirp. You need to use the relay (should have come with horn) and hook it in series with the horn wire as signal. Then they will both go off when you use your horn button, only factory will sound when your alarm chirps.
BLacher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.