air filter box - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > air filter box

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-06-2003, 06:42 PM   #1
pygocentrus

air filter box

on my 98 grand cherokee, on my air filter box, theres this cold air tube that connects to the grille. can i take it off? it seems skinny and not supplying enough air. should i remove it? it seems easy to remove.

[color=darkgray]mods:[/color][color=gray] 3 chamber magnaflow[/color]

[color=darkgray]upcoming mods: [/color][color=gray] throttle body, intake, and headers, 3" lift, tires, and system [i](if I can save enough $)[/i][/color]
pygocentrus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2003, 09:08 PM   #2
Joseph Humphrey

tell you what you can (and rightly should) do:

just take the air box out of the engine, grab your drill and a large bit and a saws all or jig saw and cut out the sides of the box leaving enough on the corners to support the filter on top. basically a poor man's cold air intake. as long as you have a high flow filter like the k&n's it will work out just fine.
The Almighty 2" BB Jeep Club Member #34 (no more BB)
----------------
[B]Silver 98 ZJ 4.0 I-6[/B]
K&N FIPK Gen II
JKS Adjustable Track Bars F and R
JKS Adjustable Control Arms
JKS Quicker Disco's
Kevins 3.5" Lift Kit w/ MX-6 Shocks
US Wheel 15x8 10 spoke black Steelies, 31" BFG AT KO rubber
Joseph Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2003, 09:39 AM   #3
PC_96_GCL_ZJ_OZ

I am just going thru this procedure myself, I have a 96 ZG GCL 4.0 and have just fitted extractors and a SS 2 1/4" hiflo cat and exh, bored the throttle body and fitted the K&N flatpad. How resitrictive is that pipe at the front of the air box! You will note that in that part of the engine bay that it gets very hot, I am going to build some sort of wider cold air intake ideally wider and with no bends into the box. My most likely fitting will be some sort of PVC round pipe pointed right up to the front grille.

This engine bay gets so hot that I have even seen some 4.0's with thermal lagging around the pipe from the box to the throttle body!

Maybe what is really needs is a WRX style bonnet scoop!
PC_96_GCL_ZJ_OZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.