air filter - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > air filter

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiBushed Sleeves & Poly Bushings!

Unread 01-02-2003, 07:33 PM   #1
rJEEP

air filter

I just ordered an open element cone filter. My only concern is water. Should I worry about it sucking water into the engine when I drive in rain?

Unread 01-02-2003, 07:59 PM   #2
Big Dumb White Guy

rain - NO. flood - YES.

A guy walks into the psychiatrist office wearing only Glad Wrap shorts. The shrink says, "Well, I can clearly see you're nuts."
Big Dumb White Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2003, 08:07 PM   #3
rJEEP

So lets say it is raining and I have to pop my hood for some reason-do I need to cover the filter or will it not be affected?
Unread 01-03-2003, 05:54 AM   #4
Big Dumb White Guy

i drove my old ranger thru a water hole - got water in it and seized it up. bent the rod enough to set the back side of the piston on the shaft. that sucked.

i've used a K&N cone filter for 2 years now. splashed thru many a puddle (big ones too). not a problem.

a few drops of water aren't a big deal. in fact there are water injection units you can buy. my guess is that it cools everything down (the fuel mixture). there again a few drop aren't going to hurt anything....... it's when you dunk the whole thing in the water that you might have problems. like driving thru a flooded river - up to the windsheild.

A guy walks into the psychiatrist office wearing only Glad Wrap shorts. The shrink says, "Well, I can clearly see you're nuts."
Unread 01-03-2003, 06:04 AM   #5
TroyBoyM
whatever

Here's a cheap addition you'll want to make if you drive in the dust.
TroyBoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2003, 06:08 AM   #6
Big Dumb White Guy

i am going to try that... looks good

Unread 01-03-2003, 09:00 AM   #7
Intrepidjeep

The entire point of switching to an open element filter is for more breathing and more power. Yet then you cover the filter with a plain paper pulp bag. Paper pulp media doesn't breathe very well, and the bag has no pleats, so it has vastly less surface area to breathe through. I'd say this is a step in the wrong direction. The paper bag probably breathes worse than the stock filter setup.

I'd say a better solution may be to make sure there's no air circumventing the media, and keep the media better oiled.
2005 Dodge Durango SLT 4.7L
Intrepidjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2003, 12:09 PM   #8
TroyBoyM
whatever

I have to respectfully disagree. Last time I checked, paper flows air better than plastic as in the stock airbox. I spend extensive time on dusty roads in the desert and while I keep my filter properly oiled, I've still found that it's pulling particles through. I'd rather use the bag when I'm in dusty conditions than risk sucking dust into my engine. My .02
TroyBoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2003, 12:31 PM   #9
rJEEP

What I am trying to do is this: just remove the top of the airbox and install the cone filter with the rest of the airbox there for protection from the elements.....Then I would like to put some kind of cover over the filter that will not let water and dust touch the filter.....any suggestions?
Unread 01-03-2003, 01:32 PM   #10
Big Dumb White Guy

rubber band some gauze over it. don't worry about a little rain. unless you're in a hurricane.....

Unread 01-06-2003, 05:46 AM   #11
Intrepidjeep

Since the K&N is mainly helpful at wide-open-throttle and high-rpms, you probably won't notice much difference in normal driving either way.

You changed to the K&N filter because the synthetic media breathes much better than paper pulp media, and hopefully you also got some additional square inches of media surface area to breathe through in the process. But the paper bag negated all of that, and probably hurt breathing as compared to even a stock setup.

Each pleat has two inclines meeting in a V shape. If each incline of the V is 1"x 8", the surface area of two inclines of one pleat is, let's say, 16 square inches, then multiply that by the number of pleats (perhaps 32?) and you've got 512 square inches of media. (Measure the pleats to find out the real surface area.)

Even if your paper bag is 9" long bag by 6" diameter, then you're looking at only 169 square inches of flat paper pulp media. (Pi x diameter x length)

So when you stick the paper pulp bag over the top, you've negated all the extra surface area that all those pleats provide you, plus you've put poor-breathing paper pulp on top of your synthetic media. (Unless those bags are synthetic media, which at 50cents a bag I'm guessing they're not.)

I'm suggesting that there's a high probability that the factory setup would probably breathe better than putting a paper bag over your K&N filter.

Hopefully you're using a 9" cone, not one of the short cones? If it's a shorter cone than the problem is all the worse.

Last edited by Intrepidjeep; 01-06-2003 at 06:19 AM..
Unread 01-07-2003, 01:29 AM   #12
Need4Boost

You'll be fine, a few drops wont hurt anything. I've ran around with no grill, headlight and filter...sounds great and responds like a mean SOB.
[b]Green Jeep Club Member #13[/b]
Need4Boost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2003, 08:23 PM   #13
rJEEP

Thanks everyone, I just got the filter in the mail......its nice, it is 76mm and it has the hole though the middle for extra flow. I'm going to put in on tomorrow the way it is with no prefilter. If it fits, I am going to leave the bottom of the airbox on to protect it.
Unread 01-09-2003, 08:46 PM   #14
rJEEP

Installed it today......Can't say I notice a power difference yet, but the sound is amazing! It sounds normal until I get on the gas....then you can here me coming a mile away.
Unread 01-10-2003, 02:08 PM   #15
Intrepidjeep

The mod would help at high rpm where the airflow of the K&N can come into play -- just what ya need to help you at the stoplight drags

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.