Air Conditioning - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Air Conditioning

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 08-26-2003, 07:36 PM   #1
Willie1470

Air Conditioning

About six weeks ago, I had the air conditioning system recharged. Recently it has been producing only slightly cool air. Any suggestions where I might look first.

Thanks for anticipated help,

Willie

Willie1470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2003, 04:31 AM   #2
whitevette

Take it back and *****.
'77 Corvette L-48
'74 Land Cruiser FJ40
whitevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2003, 05:23 AM   #3
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Exactly,

if you have already paid for it, make them recharge it again.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2003, 09:32 AM   #4
automan25

All the complaining in the world won't make your A/C system work any better, no matter how many times they recharge it. It sounds to me like you have a leak in your system. Chances are when your system was recently recharged your mechanic put a UV dye into the mix to help identify potential leaks. Take the vehicle back to your mechanic and get him to use a UV light to try and detect the leak.
Unread 08-27-2003, 06:40 PM   #5
Stocker

Yup... and since they just charged it 6 weeks ago and didn't find the leak (I know, no dye in it then, but they might have leak detection equipment), play on their sympathy and ask if they'll give you a break on the second recharge.
Unread 08-27-2003, 06:48 PM   #6
automan25

There is obviously a leak in the system somewhere. This needs to be fixed before you recharge the system again.
Unread 08-27-2003, 06:53 PM   #7
JEEPTECHNICIAN

First of all, do not take it back and *****. That will get you nothing but a goodbye and dont come back. Just because someone charges your A/C they should be responsible cause it leaked out. If it is leaking in a place wher you cannot see a visible leak you cant hold the garage responsible. They did not put the leak there. Second what year is your GRAND? And I will tell you what to do. And also how many miles are on it?
JEEPTECHNICIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2003, 08:27 PM   #8
Willie1470

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPTECHNICIAN
First of all, do not take it back and *****. That will get you nothing but a goodbye and dont come back. Just because someone charges your A/C they should be responsible cause it leaked out. If it is leaking in a place wher you cannot see a visible leak you cant hold the garage responsible. They did not put the leak there. Second what year is your GRAND? And I will tell you what to do. And also how many miles are on it?
Thanks, My Grand is a '98 with 55,100 miles.
Unread 08-27-2003, 08:29 PM   #9
whitevette

Quote:
But it is their job to detect the leak in the first place. Pressurize the system with nitrogen until you find the leak. Fix said leak, evacuate, recharge and collect your money.
'77 Corvette L-48
'74 Land Cruiser FJ40
Unread 08-27-2003, 09:03 PM   #10
JEEPTECHNICIAN

No its there job to do that if there is no visible leaks found under a normal a/c recharge. And why would you pressurize a mobile a/c system with nitrogen. Thats what tracer dye is for, a none misdiagnosis leak detection system. sniffer's suck. Tracer dye dont lie. and lord help the technician who uses a sniffer where someone has put hotshot in a a/c system and he finds the leak.
cause there might be a slight explosion. and FYI what you are talking about is a repair not an a/c service. If I done what yuou are talking about just to leak check it would cost you 1.4 hours labor to evacuate and recharge and .5 hours to leak test and 30.00 dollars for freon and in our dealership that would cost about a total of 170.00 dollars.

Last edited by JEEPTECHNICIAN; 08-27-2003 at 09:07 PM..
Unread 08-27-2003, 09:13 PM   #11
JEEPTECHNICIAN

Willie1470 if you have a ZJ Ym's- 93-97 and some 98's it is about 95% the evaperator coil, wich dye or anything else would do no good then. But chrysler extended the warranty 0n them YM's to 7yr 70k mile warranty on the evaperator. And anybody who has paid to have this fixed while it was still under warranty and have the proper paper work to prove it can send it to chrysler and request a refund.
Unread 08-27-2003, 09:21 PM   #12
Willie1470

Quote:
Willie1470 if you have a ZJ Ym's- 93-97 and some 98's it is about 95% the evaperator coil, wich dye or anything else would do no good then. But chrysler extended the warranty 0n them YM's to 7yr 70k mile warranty on the evaperator. And anybody who has paid to have this fixed while it was still under warranty and have the proper paper work to prove it can send it to chrysler and request a refund.
Thanks, JeepTechnician. I'm bringing my Grand to Jeep tomorrow and the tech who charged it is going to work on it (he is a friend of the family and I'm sure that he'll do right by me) I'll keep you posted.

Willie1470
Unread 08-28-2003, 06:37 AM   #13
whitevette

Quote:
No its there job to do that if there is no visible leaks found under a normal a/c recharge. And why would you pressurize a mobile a/c system with nitrogen. Thats what tracer dye is for, a none misdiagnosis leak detection system. sniffer's suck. Tracer dye dont lie. and lord help the technician who uses a sniffer where someone has put hotshot in a a/c system and he finds the leak.
cause there might be a slight explosion. and FYI what you are talking about is a repair not an a/c service. If I done what yuou are talking about just to leak check it would cost you 1.4 hours labor to evacuate and recharge and .5 hours to leak test and 30.00 dollars for freon and in our dealership that would cost about a total of 170.00 dollars.
Gotcha.
<-- Blurred the lines between a full blown service and a simple recharge. Working for a fleet instead of private individuals, procedures change as nobody *****es about what we do, so we do everything. If the freon has leaked out, we find out why instead of just refilling it.
'77 Corvette L-48
'74 Land Cruiser FJ40
Unread 08-28-2003, 09:20 AM   #14
JEEPTECHNICIAN

you don't have me. there is a big difference between a fleet service and a repair shop. fleet companies have contracts with there customers. so there going to get paid regardless. let a paying customer go into a shop and say I want my a/c charged up and you take it back there and come back and tell them they owe you 170.00 for finding a leak and another 75.00 - 100.00 for the repair on the leak. they will tell you I did not authorize that repair all Iwanted was the a/c charged up. call it a service or charge but it is defined the same way. charge the system, test the performance, look for visible leaks, if there are none seen have a great day. the way you describe it works in a fleet shop, you dont have to wait for authoriztion you all just fix it under the contract you have with your customer. kinda like warranty for us we dont need authorization to fix anything under warranty we just fix it. you have a misunderstanding on what goes on in a real repair shop where the customer pays out of there pocket. of course a real technician would know what a visisble leak is and address it at the time of service to the customer. real technicians do not charge it and see a visible leak and let it go with out explaning to the customer that they have a known leak and that we are not sure how long the freon will stay in the system but it's there call on wether they want to fix it or let it ride and see how long it last. it may last a week it may last 3 months. but here is the cost of the leak repair and if you do not want to fix it here ya go hope it last for you. so now you see the difference betwen fleet and repair shops. maybe you guys call it a simple recharge, but that was back in the 70's. there is no such thing as a simple recharge anymore. a real shop has a 12 and 134 machine that does the work for them. there is not a set of old tyme manifold gauges in our shop. by law you are required to have a recycling machine both 12 and 134. i have never seen a full blown a/c service that you evacuate and recharge an a/c system. you want be doing many services for around 200.00 bucks.
Unread 08-28-2003, 10:49 AM   #15
Willie1470

Quote:
I went ot Jeep and they diagnosed it as an evaporator coil and the cost is $750 to replace. Is there some where you can guide me to see if my car is under the extended warranty? Could you also tell me ZJ Ym's are? Thanks a lot, you are making this whole thing into an adventure.

Willie

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.