Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Air Conditioning?

4K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  BLACKzj52 
#1 · (Edited)
Last year I purchased a '95 GC Laredo. Air ran warm, put in freon and it worked fine. This year when I tried the air, it blew warm again, so went to O'Reilly's and the guy went to put the freon (or whatever it's called) and said it was showing full. He then checked the relay and the fuse. Both were fine.

He said the compressor was stopping and starting and he showed me how the belt was going but the thing inside would start, then stop. It did that LAST YEAR too because I remember hearing the click when it would stop, so that is nothing new, but I still don't have air.

Windows won't roll down either. Got a trip next weekend going to Knoxville to take DIL for her Army Drill. Sounds like I"m looking at a hot drive, with a 10 month old baby no less.

Any other idea's other than a new compressor?

Oh, I'm about 10 miles away from turning over to 200K. :-(

#2 ·
yeah sounds like compressor
cant be toooo much to fix.. just unbolt and bolt it back up
but i think ull have to have somebody professional recharge the A/C system if im right
and i have no clue what all that involves
and sounds like u need new window motors or regulators.. that sux
just roll down ur windows

#3 ·
As long as the part itself (compressor) doesn't cost $1000K, I'm ok. Well, if it costs less than $200 I'm hunky dory. My son or ex can change out.

Was just looking at ebay for windows motors, regulators, etc. Can't remember what the guy said at the store. That there are two of something, and yes, while unlikely they would go out at the same time, he said that if there was some type of surge, one might go out and take the other with it. But can't remember now if that was regulators. I'm waiting on a quote from them for those parts, whatever they are.

I would be happy if I could just roll my windows down...at least for the spring months in TN. In August, I wouldn't be a happy camper with no air, tho. Thank you for your response. I'll go check motors and a compressor!

#6 ·
OWhatAThrill said:
Last year I purchased a '95 GC Laredo. Air ran warm, put in freon and it worked fine. This year when I tried the air, it blew warm again, so went to O'Reilly's and the guy went to put the freon (or whatever it's called) and said it was showing full. He then checked the relay and the fuse. Both were fine.

He said the compressor was stopping and starting and he showed me how the belt was going but the thing inside would start, then stop. It did that LAST YEAR too because I remember hearing the click when it would stop, so that is nothing new, but I still don't have air.

Windows won't roll down either. Got a trip next weekend going to Knoxville to take DIL for her Army Drill. Sounds like I"m looking at a hot drive, with a 10 month old baby no less.

Any other idea's other than a new compressor?

Oh, I'm about 10 miles away from turning over to 200K. :-(
Ac systems don't show full, it's all a matter of the temperature/pressure relation to the refrigerant being used, the ambient temperature, and airflow through the condenser and evaperator. the compressor kicking on and off is a function of the low pressure cut out switch and your more than likely just low on pressure. Take it to a pro and have the system evacuated and a new refrigerant charge weighed in.

#7 ·
a70eliminator said:
Ac systems don't show full, it's all a matter of the temperature/pressure relation to the refrigerant being used, the ambient temperature, and airflow through the condenser and evaperator. the compressor kicking on and off is a function of the low pressure cut out switch and your more than likely just low on pressure. Take it to a pro and have the system evacuated and a new refrigerant charge weighed in.
My son just said something along the lines of "it kicks on and off when it's low on pressure" when I told him over a choppy cell phone call. He finally got mad and said he'd call me back when he got back to his house phone. I had to wonder if the guy knew how to read the meter, as my son read it wrong last year. His Dad was here at the time and explained how to read it. Of course, the guy at O'Reilly's should know how to read it, but then again, you never know. I handed him 5 bucks just for checking all those things anyway.

Taking it to a pro before I swing for a compressor sounds like a good idea...but being female, let me say it's not a comfortable feeling. Many "snow" us just because they talk in a foreign language to us (me).

And ty pancake, I was wondering the same thing. :)

TY, 70. I just don't feel like it's the compressor because it was doing the same thing on the wheelie thing last year, but I know nothing. I just want air, at least we drive to Knoxville after I get off work at 5 PM and she doesn't get through with drill until usually 5, so not in the heat of the day...yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.