Air Conditioner Recharge Fail - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Air Conditioner Recharge Fail

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-27-2011, 11:59 PM   #1
amonostereo
1993 ZJ 

Air Conditioner Recharge Fail

So when I bought the heep exactly 4 years ago, the A/C was blowing perfectly cold. Loved it. Over the next couple years is has progressively gotten warmer, and now to a point where I want to do something about it.

Today I bought a can of 134a with a guage on it; its one of those that has the dial which you set the 'ambient air temperature' and try to get the low line pressure to within a range. I hooked it up to what I am pretty sure is my low pressure line nozzle (on the V8 it is near the coolant reservoir, on the passenger side near the firewall, right?)

This is when I got scared. I hooked it up, car is running, A/C is full blast, compressor is on constantly (odd, because in the winter during defrost it is constantly kicking on and off every 10-15 seconds...). The pressure reads at 45psi. Perfectly within the 'acceptable' range. Then just for the hell of it, I turned the A/C, therefore the compressor, off. The guage jumps to somewhere around 125PSI!!!! That seems way too high, and it scared me too much to inject any freon into the system. Or really to do much of anything but run around the car to kill the ignition.

Is 125psi ok when the compressor is off?

Should I inject more refrigerant anyway?

What would you recommend doing to get my freezing air back?

Thanks a bunch!!!

'93 5.2L V8, Laredo, 242 TC swapped from a 249, 3" Coils up front and Front coils in the Rear, JKS Adjustable Track bar, K&N Cold Air Intake with Amsoil filter, Rear cargo area shelving, and KOR's Steering Gear Brace, IRO's Over-The-Knuckle Steering, Top Light Rail, Top Tire Carrier... for now...
OR If you prefer acronyms: 93 5.2 V8, 249>242, 3" FC, ~2" RC, JKS Adj. TB w/ KOR TB Bracket, K&N CIA w/ Amsoil filter, Shelves, KOR SB, IRO OTK HD steering
amonostereo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2011, 08:23 AM   #2
Midnightluckey
1995 ZJ 

You should go get the system evac'd and refilled at a shop if you want real cold air.

Also, your only supposed to fill it with the ac on and the compressor running.
95 Limited Chargold ZJ 5.2L -5.5" lift (IRO, Ironman, and RC parts), 33" BFG M/T's, 15x8 procomp crawlers, 242 swap, 2 12" subs, 1000w amp, cherry bomb, full skid package, Kevins rear stealth bumper clone w 3/4" D rings, Rlcwelding front bumper w 3/8" D rings, XRC-8, front tow hooks, 2 daylighter fairlead lights, 2 daylighter windsheild lights, 2 55w driving lights, OBA, Cobra 18 CB, dual 4' whips, RC disconnects, smittybuilt jack, optima yellowtop.
Built not bought #512
Midnightluckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2011, 08:39 AM   #3
AlphaLorde
1998 ZJ 

Dont trust the can gauges, they are cheap and just for reference.

On the low line side your should have a pressure ranging from 25 to 45 psi or so (I'm at 30 when the compressor cycles, w/ a 48 degree output). The high side (port is on the driver side of the compressor) you want 175-225 psi or so. After my evacuation yesterday I only put in 1.4 lbs of gas in.

134a molecules are smaller then the old r12. The 134a can even seep through the rubber hoses because the molecule is so small. That's why you lose some freon over time.

I think you need your system evacuated as well. Dont add any more gas
Unread 06-28-2011, 09:40 AM   #4
classicmetalman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightluckey View Post
You should go get the system evac'd and refilled at a shop if you want real cold air.
Unless you have the proper equipment and know what your doing, you can make it worse=$$. Too much R134a (NOT Freon) will also reduce cooling and possibly damage your system. Spend the extra cash and have it done right. I know easier said in this economy, but this is one of those things that will cost you more if done wrong, and if you enjoy riding in a nice A/C compartment, GET ER DONE....right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by z71tbi View Post
Dont trust the can gauges, they are cheap and just for reference.
X2

BTW, your compressor IS supposed to cycle with the A/C on. Something not right there and even more reason to take it in to a shop wrench.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphydajeep View Post
I say you should still hit something just to let it know you mean business, or shake a hammer at it in a menacing fashion
classicmetalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2011, 09:59 AM   #5
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

My A/C cycled constantly, every 5 seconds and the air wasnt cold or even slightely cold. I filled it up with 1 small bottle and while i was doing it the compressor stopped its constant cycling the pressure is at like 35psi or something, the A/C is cold, however my compressor like never cycles anymore, its just on all the time if i use the a/c. Not sure why it does that, dont have the money to get it looked at tho.
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2011, 10:43 AM   #6
tcar
2000 WJ 

Wow....

Go to a shop that knows what they are doing... have them pull a vacuum for an hour or two; see if there are any leaks.

Have them recharge your system.
95 Limited V8
tcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2011, 10:56 AM   #7
amonostereo
1993 ZJ 

How much should I expect that to cost??
'93 5.2L V8, Laredo, 242 TC swapped from a 249, 3" Coils up front and Front coils in the Rear, JKS Adjustable Track bar, K&N Cold Air Intake with Amsoil filter, Rear cargo area shelving, and KOR's Steering Gear Brace, IRO's Over-The-Knuckle Steering, Top Light Rail, Top Tire Carrier... for now...
OR If you prefer acronyms: 93 5.2 V8, 249>242, 3" FC, ~2" RC, JKS Adj. TB w/ KOR TB Bracket, K&N CIA w/ Amsoil filter, Shelves, KOR SB, IRO OTK HD steering
amonostereo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2011, 12:18 PM   #8
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

I did some searching. The compressor doesnt cycle when at idle but if its cycles when your driving its fine. If the pressure is lower then the ambient air temp at idle then you need more refrgerant. My pressure is only 30psi idle which is 74 ambient, its 95f outside so its suppose to be around 45psi. When i open the hood and rev the engine a tiny bit to around 1-1500rpm the pressure goes to 50psi then the compressor turns off and it starts to cycle up and down. No wonder the a/c seemed colder when i was driving

Only if the compressor doesnt cycle when your driving you should be worried.. So im going to get another bottle and refill my system until im at 45psi

So many people on this thread acting like its end of the world and go ot i proffesionally checked if it doesnt cycle... If it cycles on idle your low on refrigerant... its suppose to cycle when driving not when your idle.
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2011, 12:30 PM   #9
Dodgeram1989
1976 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by amonostereo View Post
How much should I expect that to cost??
Full service Evac and Recharge ( new oil and dye also ) we charge $149.95 at my shop.
Dodgeram1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2011, 02:34 PM   #10
AlphaLorde
1998 ZJ 

For me, o-ring replacement and a/c oil, a complete evac and then recharge w/ 1.4 lbs.......

FREE
Unread 06-29-2011, 03:00 PM   #11
Ninesvnsicks
1997 ZJ 

I just tried to charge mine today too but I don't think the compressor is engaging the outer disc on the pulley does not spin.
Ninesvnsicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2011, 03:07 PM   #12
Soldierfoley
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I recharged the A/c in my YJ a few months ago with one of those cans and it works fine. I had a similar experience as you with the 125lbs DANGER ZONE! It turns out the nozzle was not engaging on the inlet valve quite right and the gauge was reading the pressure in the can. Try the process again, letting the AC compresser kick on and off twice before you attempt to fill it. Then push the nozzle HARD against the low pressure vale. You should feel the hose getting cold if it is filling the system. Just try to not blow yourself up in the process. But if you do, take some video please.
Soldierfoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2011, 03:07 PM   #13
Midnightluckey
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninesvnsicks
I just tried to charge mine today too but I don't think the compressor is engaging the outer disc on the pulley does not spin.
Did you add freon with the ac running? What's the pressure looking like? It could possibly be the compressor clutch, they do go bad.
95 Limited Chargold ZJ 5.2L -5.5" lift (IRO, Ironman, and RC parts), 33" BFG M/T's, 15x8 procomp crawlers, 242 swap, 2 12" subs, 1000w amp, cherry bomb, full skid package, Kevins rear stealth bumper clone w 3/4" D rings, Rlcwelding front bumper w 3/8" D rings, XRC-8, front tow hooks, 2 daylighter fairlead lights, 2 daylighter windsheild lights, 2 55w driving lights, OBA, Cobra 18 CB, dual 4' whips, RC disconnects, smittybuilt jack, optima yellowtop.
Built not bought #512
Midnightluckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2011, 03:17 PM   #14
Ninesvnsicks
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightluckey View Post
Did you add freon with the ac running? What's the pressure looking like? It could possibly be the compressor clutch, they do go bad.
Yea I had the AC on and on max waited 3 mins before filling like the can said and I filled it to around 37psi as the ambient temp was around 65-70.
Unread 06-29-2011, 06:52 PM   #15
Ninesvnsicks
1997 ZJ 

Ok update on my problem I added more and the compressor started to cycle it would build up pressure to about 45psi then the compressor kicks in and the psi drops to around 25 psi then the compressor turns off and it builds back up to 45 and starts over. The more I added the longer the compressor would stay on each cycle but i've added almost the entire can and its still not staying on. The air seems to be cold but its not that cold. With the Jeep turned off the psi is about 65 psi which the gauge says is in the warning zone although idk if that's when on or off.

Tags
a/c , a/c compressor , air conditioning , refrigerant

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.