Air Conditioner 1997 Grand Cherokee not blowing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Air Conditioner 1997 Grand Cherokee not blowing

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 07-01-2013, 12:09 PM   #1
teddysmith1952

Air Conditioner 1997 Grand Cherokee not blowing

Hi all,

Well here's the issue I had today. Have had a tiny leak somewhere in the A/C system for several years. Every early summer I add one can of 134a freon to the system and that does the job until next year. Today I hooked up the can and gauge and as usual, it was down to about 20 psi (with engine running) before charging. I started the Jeep, turned the A/C and fan to high and proceeded to charge the system. It took the freon about 5 minutes to empty and the pressure on the low side went up to about 50 psi which is normal. I did notice that during the process the compressor would go on and off every 10 seconds or so and I don't recall if this has happened in the past. So I complete the charging and unhook the can/gauge. I go into the jeep and lo and behold the fan is not blowing air and there is no hint of cold air coming from the vents. Puzzled as heck!

Any suggestions on what just occurred would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

teddysmith1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 12:12 PM   #2
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Bang on the dash under the radio with your hand . If it still doesnt blow, check fuses. If fuse is good, it's probably the resistor.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 12:18 PM   #3
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

If the fan wasn't running when you charged it then you have probaly overcharged the system. If it had been running before then you may have iced up the evaporator with a low charge to the point no air could pass through. Run system on fan only and verify the fan is actually running. The evaporator could have reached the point it is pretty clogged with gunk as ZJ's do .

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 12:21 PM   #4
dellis
1998 ZJ 

When you say the fan is not blowing and no cold air, I'm assuming there is a typo somewhere (and you are saying the inside fan is blowing, but just not blowing cold air). Your charging experience seems normal ... except that's a long time to empty a can into a low system. But let me ask two questions:

(1) When the compressor was engaging, you were seeing the pressure on the low side drop from 50 to what? If it was 30-35, then you probably have enough refrigerant. If it was dropping to 20-25, then the compressor is detecting a low pressure situation and shutting off ... you would simply need to add another can of refrigerant.

(2) Now, assuming that #1 isn't your problem ... well ... I know this may come across like a computer help desk saying "do you have it plugged in", but was your temperature dial turned to hot?
dellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 12:48 PM   #5
teddysmith1952

Thanks for the replies and sorry for any confusion I created with my post.

Ok then. I started the jeep just prior to charging the A/C system. I turned the A/c to high and turned the fan to high as well. The fan was blowing air like crazy as usual and the air coming out was just moderately cold. The reading I was getting on my gauge while connected to the low side port was about 20psi when the compressor was engaged. When the compressor disengaged, the pressure was rising (as is should) towards the 60 psi zone but about then the A/C would engage again and it would start to drop. As the can emptied while going through this engage/disengage drill. the pressure while engaged, rose and steadied at about 50 psi when the can of freon was empty.

I can't answer when the fan stopped blowing during this whole process, only that it wasn't blowing when I completed the charging and went inside to test the degree of cold I was getting. The fan will not blow period now, when on A/C, heat or fan only. I did rap on the dash below the radio with no change. I'll go through the fuses to see if one blew. I also let the jeep sit for 30 minutes in case something had froze but still no fan. I'ts about 100 degrees here.

Thanks for your help all.
Unread 07-01-2013, 01:01 PM   #6
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Ok....now I understand. So it WAS blowing for a while, at least.
I dont place a lot of faith in those walmart gauges that come with the cans. It's possible that it froze up, but, depending upon the ambient temp. But I've never seen it. ( doesnt mean it cant occur) Let it sit, check fuse...and get back with us.

Unread 07-01-2013, 01:27 PM   #7
teddysmith1952

Just checked the fuses and they are ok. My wife just chimed in with a juicy tid bit I wish I knew earlier. She said the fan had been turning itself off and on (while in the on position) for a couple of week now when the A/C was on. I wonder if this event points to a specific problem. Thanks again.
Unread 07-01-2013, 02:05 PM   #8
dellis
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddysmith1952 View Post
Just checked the fuses and they are ok. My wife just chimed in with a juicy tid bit I wish I knew earlier. She said the fan had been turning itself off and on (while in the on position) for a couple of week now when the A/C was on. I wonder if this event points to a specific problem. Thanks again.
Intermittant sounds like a fan motor going bad or an electrical connection problem (ground or voltage wires). However, it could be a couple of other things. On the circuit that controls the fan, there is also (a) a resistor block and (b) a blower-on relay (or the blower motor relay on some models).

(a) The "high" setting on your fan bypasses the resistor block, so it is pretty easy to test that (the resistor block is bad if it works on "high" but has problems on other speed settings).

(b) Test for voltage on the output of the blower motor relay ... or listen for it clicking on. The blower-on relay is located inside of your AC Heater Control Module OR on the side of the blower motor (I'm not sure which version you have). See images below. The electrical schematic shows the relay inside the control module, and the diagram shows the design version that has the relay on the side of the blower. You will have one of these two designs.

Unread 07-01-2013, 02:20 PM   #9
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

This might NOT be your issue....and again...it might be :
Last year my fan didnt work at all sometimes. Mainly on High....but from time to time it just turned off. I'd slap the dash under the air controls and it would come back on, so one night I decided to find the culprit by taking the air control panel out. ( partially). I jiggled the connections ( mainly vacuum lines) and pushed them back up on the controls tighter.

It's never stopped working ever since.

Unread 07-01-2013, 07:49 PM   #10
dw2gtx

Fan motor problem

Just my 2 cents I had a similar problem with my 97 zj. Turned out to be a faulty connection in the electrical connector under the glove box. Check that.
dw2gtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 11:45 AM   #11
teddysmith1952

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing but just to complicate matters I started the Jeep up this morning to pull it in the garage to start my troubleshooting. The blower fan worked like new!!! I was going to pull the glove box out and start checking electrical connections and by process of elimination work my way to removing and checking the blower if necessary. Having a working blower is going to make this impossible. I'm sure it will keep quitting but I wonder when..lol. I wonder if it has something to do with the engine/inside temperature?
Unread 07-06-2013, 07:19 PM   #12
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

If it's an "iffy" electrical contact that's the problem, certainly... the ambient temps will affect it. I'd check behind the control panel first..and make sure it's all tight back there.

Unread 07-07-2013, 05:36 AM   #13
dellis
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing but just to complicate matters I started the Jeep up this morning to pull it in the garage to start my troubleshooting. The blower fan worked like new!!!
That's a bad thing. Intermittent problems are nearly impossible to diagnose while the component is actually working.

Quote:
I wonder if it has something to do with the engine/inside temperature?
Perhaps, but it doesn't matter - intermittent is intermittent, regardless of the environment that causes the failure. Did you check the items I noted above?
Unread 07-07-2013, 05:37 AM   #14
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

Sounds like a crispy fried fan connector to me.

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
Unread 07-07-2013, 05:50 AM   #15
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

I might have missed it when you joined dellis, but welcome to the forum. Looks like you are pretty sharp on the electrical end of zj's.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.