Ahx tow group 5.9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Ahx tow group 5.9

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 04-23-2013, 07:13 AM   #1
a70eliminator

Ahx tow group 5.9

Hi all, looking at my build sheet for the 5.9 I see AHX trailer tow group iv, I cannot see a tranny cooler in the usual spot in front of the ac condenser, it seems like trailer tow group would include it somewhere?
I do have an extra one pulled from a 4.0 zj I parted out, just wondering why it wouldn't have one on the 5.9.

a70eliminator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2013, 07:43 AM   #2
Scopez
1994 ZJ 

In 98, they redesigned the radiator and they thought it was more efficient to run the transmission cooler through the radiator too...so your trans cooler is built in your radiator. I suggest bypassing that one and installing your own like alot of people do to their niners and any 98 model ZJ.
Unread 04-23-2013, 07:53 AM   #3
a70eliminator

Oh thanks man, I was thinking of installing this factory one that I have off the jz I parted out in addition to whats there now?
Unread 04-23-2013, 08:35 AM   #4
Scopez
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by a70eliminator View Post
Oh thanks man, I was thinking of installing this factory one that I have off the jz I parted out in addition to whats there now?
There's a few write ups around here somewhere. I know PolkaPower installed one on his niner and he said he dropped his temperature 10 cooler.
Unread 04-23-2013, 10:31 AM   #5
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I bypassed the radiator actually. My transmission fluid runs at 180* measured after the torque converter. I put a Hayden plate and fin rated for 30,000 GVW. My motor temps went down too.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2013, 11:40 AM   #6
LouC
2007 WK 

The story about them making the rad and internal cooler is true, that's what I was told when I bought my 98 new. I put in a B&M Supercooler and the fluid coming out of it is cooler than what comes out of the internal cooler, by 20-30 degrees.
Unread 04-23-2013, 12:09 PM   #7
a70eliminator

are you routed into the radiator, then out of rad into aux cooler, then out of aux cooler to trans? I do plan to pull my 21" I/O with this jeep.
Unread 04-23-2013, 03:05 PM   #8
LouC
2007 WK 

I kept the internal cooler (I just replaced the rad in 2010 so it was pretty new) and ran the lines from the internal cooler in the rad, to the B&M aux cooler and then back to the trans. That is how B&M and most other aftermarket trans cooler companies say to do it. Here is a crude diagram...The reason why I did it this way (cut out the grill support pieces) is because it makes it much easier to remove the cooler if it or the lines leak one day out in the middle of nowhere....

I've towed a similar size boat with both the ZJ and the WK. Naturally the WK tows it much easier and has much better brakes but the ZJ can tow a load that size OK, as long as you have a good clean rad, good trans cooling, good brakes, and some help for the tongue weight. I used Air Lift airbags in the rear coils and they work great on the ZJ, no sag, no bounding because of the tongue weight. I also have Bilstein HD monotube high pressure gas shocks and LT 'C' rated tires. Make sure the brakes on the boat trailer work. The ZJ brakes WILL NOT stop that load safely if the trailer brakes do not work.

BTW, weren't you also on the Iboats bulletin boards, I recall that screen name from there.....
aux-cooler-lines-routing.jpg   jeep-trans-cooler-1.jpg   jeep-trans-cooler-3.jpg  
Unread 04-23-2013, 03:59 PM   #9
a70eliminator

Yea I was an iboats regular, had been towing with my 5.2 ZJ which I still have, the wifes Orvis was the 4.0 the little jeep that could lol, my daughter totaled it and insurance settled at 3500 and we bought the 5.9 last week with the ins. money, I put the new addition to the family in our gasrage and proceeded to take it apart for a thourogh cleaning and tune up.
Unread 04-24-2013, 06:36 AM   #10
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scopez View Post
In 98, they redesigned the radiator and they thought it was more efficient to run the transmission cooler through the radiator too...so your trans cooler is built in your radiator. I suggest bypassing that one and installing your own like alot of people do to their niners and any 98 model ZJ.
They've always had internal coolers on grand cherokees, the redesign was to make it larger.

Adding an auxiliary cooler is still a good idea.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.