the age old sub mounting dilema - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > the age old sub mounting dilema

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!ExtremeTerrain.com Now Carries Raxiom Off-Road Technology RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 05-10-2013, 05:23 PM   #1
AmishFury
1997 ZJ 

the age old sub mounting dilema

i don't want to spend big bucks on an enclosure or lose all my cargo space... not looking to rattle the windows just strengthen the bass a bit

i've been looking into some low profile units like this but recently picked up a couple 10" subs (mtx blue thunder) at a rummage sale for dirt cheap

i'd love to have mounted it between the back seat and the spare but going to a full size spare might not have left me with enough space

so i'm looking to see what options you guys would suggest for low cost and maximum cargo space or should i just sell these subs and make a couple bucks and go back to looking into the low profile option

AmishFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 06:07 PM   #2
MyKeyB
1997 ZJ 

If those MTX's are in decent shape I would roll with them. For a sealed box they probably ony need about .75 cu/ft of air space each and should not need a real large amp. I'm guessing 200-250 watts each. I have 2 12's in a small sealed enclosure (1-1.25 cu ft) tucked between my full size spare and the wheel well. Fits like a glove and I still have some cargo room. It's not winning any SPL contests but it's loud enough that I got pulled over and a ticket about 2 weeks ago! I'll try and get some pics and get them up.
Unread 05-10-2013, 07:58 PM   #3
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Somebody used to make a box that went in the space between the spare and rear seats, but I've not seen one for sale.

I run a boss bass 900 in my 96. Fits under the rear passenger seat (moved the jack and tools elsewhere). Plenty of kick and really rounds out the system.

We have the older version bass 600 in the mini cooper and have never had a problem. WHen I get an aftermarket head I will put the new one, bass 800 in my niner.

The post in the build thread is here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/n.../#post14516788

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 07:59 PM   #4
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Oh, found it.

http://www.acmejeepparts.com/products/74136_711.htm

Meh, I'll stick with the boss stuff.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 08:15 PM   #5
MyKeyB
1997 ZJ 

Nothing here to see.

Fits good.

Still leaves a little room.

You should be able to buy or make a box for 2 10's a little smaller than this box. I bought this one when Circuit City went out of business dirt cheap and got lucky because it fits perfect. If you have any ?'s on the subs you have, you could try and PM funkduck. He works at MTX and might be able to dig up some specs for you.
Unread 05-10-2013, 10:30 PM   #6
DevonsJeep
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Why dont you just use a truck style box? Im not sure if those mtx's will fit but truck style box would save tons of room.
DevonsJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 12:29 PM   #7
ROFLwaffles
1997 ZJ 

I had a downward firing box built to hold my 10" subs. It sound awesome, and it doesn't take up much room. Plus, I can still pack the back full of stuff and not worry about punching a hole in one.

ROFLwaffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 12:59 PM   #8
ZJNewbi3
1995 ZJ 

Since I don't have the privacy screen like MyKey I put my 8" sub in a custom build enclosure on the floor in-between the front and back passenger seats. Sure I cant fold it down or sit another person comfortably but it stays out of sight while I'm parked in the work lot and does the job. The amp is then under that seat. If this sub blows or I win the lottery I'll invest in a 10" kicker and truck box to put in the same place.
ZJNewbi3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.