Aftermarket stereo amp install question. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Aftermarket stereo amp install question.

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 03-31-2012, 12:22 PM   #1
greyhnd
1996 ZJ 

Aftermarket stereo amp install question.

Good day folks.
I'm snatching up a used MB Quart Discus DSC450 amp from a guy over on the NAGC forum. I intend to pull the factory Infinity amp and put the new one in it's place.

Can anyone recommend a good amp installation kit? There are a blue million of them online, but I'm not sure what I should be looking for when it comes to kit contents. I think the amp requires 4 ga wire, but other than that I'm a bit lost because I'm sure I'll forget something important.

The other question I have is this. If I mount the amp in the factory location, does anyone know about how much wire I'll need to go through the firewall and out to the battery? Also, would I be safe to run the RCA's from the HU under the center console to theamp or is there a better path to follow?

Sorry if this should be in the electrical/audio section, but I thought fellow ZJ'ers would be able to give me more specific answers.

Thanks in advance.

greyhnd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2012, 01:23 PM   #2
sebian
1995 ZJ 

I just picked up a Scoche kit from Walmart for about $35. It is 8 gauge pos and neg cable. Came with 17' for power, remote power from HU, and RCA cables. And I think a 2' ground cable.

I ran my power cable from the battery, into a small opening on the passenger side firewall near the hood hinge (no drilling required, but small hands or a cable puller will help...I used my friends 8 yr old son to pull the cable ), under the inside plastic piece that goes along the doors. I also ran my remote and RCA cables along the same path. There is just enough cable to use the factory amp location, but since I was missing my factory jack kit, I just used that spot instead. Fits in there prefectly, and unless you were specifically looking for the wiring, you would never see it.

I am using my amp to power 2 8" subs, and my HU to power my door speakers and tweeters. It sounds really good, and not over-powering.

List of parts not replaced yet:
sebian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2012, 02:14 PM   #3
greyhnd
1996 ZJ 

Cmense - was that really necessary? If I knew the answers to my "noob" questions I wouldn't ask them in the first place.

Sebian - Thanks for your response. I'll check out one of the kits at Wal-Mart.
Unread 03-31-2012, 02:51 PM   #4
KyleSekora
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhnd
Cmense - was that really necessary? If I knew the answers to my "noob" questions I wouldn't ask them in the first place.

Sebian - Thanks for your response. I'll check out one of the kits at Wal-Mart.
I got the scoche kit and I believe 12 gauge speaker wire off of amazon for just under 50. I needed the speaker wire to run to the two subs that I had bought the kit for. So im not sure if that would be necessary for the application your using it for.
_.(o)_)__(o)_)---)_)
KyleSekora is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2012, 02:53 PM   #5
KyleSekora
1997 ZJ 

Also I was going to run mine under the door panel trim. Just pop it up and shove it under the trim. Are you using it to power stock speakers?
_.(o)_)__(o)_)---)_)
Unread 03-31-2012, 02:55 PM   #6
KyleSekora
1997 ZJ 

Sorry for all the posts im on my phone and keep noticing things I should have said. But that amp is a AB type amp and they tend to run a little hotter so be sure that it wont overheat in the factory location.
_.(o)_)__(o)_)---)_)
Unread 03-31-2012, 03:50 PM   #7
greyhnd
1996 ZJ 

Kyle - I'm glad you mentioned that about the class A/B amps running a bit hotter. I've got 3 cooling fans out of some home stereo amps laying here, so they might finally come in handy for something if needed. That amp is rated at 50W x4 @ 4 Ohms so I don't think it will heat up too much. I'll be using the amp to power some MB Quart PVI-216 6.5" components and the stock rear door speakers as fill if I decide to keep using them.
Unread 03-31-2012, 04:26 PM   #8
sebian
1995 ZJ 

If you need a pic to see where I ran through the firewall, I can snap off a couple.

Unread 03-31-2012, 06:29 PM   #9
KyleSekora
1997 ZJ 

Also I couldn't see that amp needing 4 gauge wire. Mine only needs 8 gauge and its a 500.1. So I would go with the 8 gauge plus its cheaper. Go with the scoche. It came with everything but the speaker wire lol.
_.(o)_)__(o)_)---)_)
Unread 03-31-2012, 06:30 PM   #10
KyleSekora
1997 ZJ 

O and be careful with the rear speakers so you don't blow them out. I might get that amp to replace my stock amp.
_.(o)_)__(o)_)---)_)
Unread 03-31-2012, 08:50 PM   #11
bob_351c
2002 TJ Wrangler 

just a warning, watch where you buy your amp kit. Ive been ripped off twice with undersized wire. Bought a kit at a big name electronics store in town, they were selling it as an "alpine" kit but really all it says on it is type x. Its in the same colours and font that alpine uses so everyone assumes its alpine, even the store. Second kit i bought was on ebay, absolute worst thing ive ever bought online. The 8 gauge kit he sold me came with 14 gauge wire... 4x too small.

Anyways, i ran my rcas and amp turn on down the drivers side with all the other cable. Its was a major pain, i wound up taking the seat out to get the cables in. Going to do the power down the drivers side, i would just drill a new hole in the firewall for the cable, and dont forget to use a grommet
bob_351c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2012, 09:20 PM   #12
nickpequignot
1996 ZJ 

When I did mine I bought a 6ga kit. Came with everything needed. I didn't use it all cause I had some stuff in. And I bought a multi amp kit cause of the power splitter ran 6ga to splitter the 8ga to. My amps.
Unread 03-31-2012, 09:37 PM   #13
sebian
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_351c View Post
Anyways, i ran my rcas and amp turn on down the drivers side with all the other cable. Its was a major pain, i wound up taking the seat out to get the cables in. Going to do the power down the drivers side, i would just drill a new hole in the firewall for the cable, and dont forget to use a grommet
There is a nice hole on the passenger side of the firewall that is covered up with a rubber plug. It enters the cabin right next to the passenger side kick panel. You will need to fish it around a little bit to get it into the cabin, but I found it much better than drilling anything. I also didn't need to remove any seats in order to run any wire. Mine is tucked neatly under the floor trim.

Unread 03-31-2012, 11:15 PM   #14
greyhnd
1996 ZJ 

Sebian - If you can snap a couple pics without spending much time to do it that would be appreciated. Sounds like a straight shot into the passenger compartment and the trim along the floor looks easy enough to get out of the way.

KyleSekora - I was talking to one of my friends that also has a ZJ and she had the rear speakers replaced with 6.5" subwoofers. Not the mid-bass drivers but subs. She fired her system up for me and it sounded pretty darn good. She doesn't know all the details on her system, but it gets louder than I'd ever run one. I've got the name of the guy tht installed it for her.

As far as buying install kits online, when it comes to stuff like that I like to hold it in my hands and look at it instead of hoping I make the right choice. Especially when I'm buying something I have no experience with.
Unread 03-31-2012, 11:29 PM   #15
KyleSekora
1997 ZJ 

That sounds sick. Wish I had thought of that. Probably would saved me a little money. But hey im happy that I got 2 twelves on the way.

And yeah I know what you mean. I researched it a lot and def read all reviews before I bought. I wasn't so wary about buying however because it was with a gift card and not money I made lol.

Let us know how this all turns out for you. If it all goes well im most likely going to replace my factory amp
_.(o)_)__(o)_)---)_)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.