Aftermarket Stereo for 1995 Grand Cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Aftermarket Stereo for 1995 Grand Cherokee

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr

Unread 07-17-2006, 12:48 PM   #1
Shardon
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Aftermarket Stereo for 1995 Grand Cherokee

I have replaced the Infinity Gold system with a Pioneer DEH-P47DH head unit. My problem is there is one wire that comes out of the automotive harness that connects to the old Infinity Head unit at a connector labeled "Park". There is no provision on the Pioneer unit for hooking up this wire. It has power when the ignition is turned on. The Pioneer works fine after installation but I am concerned about this one wire that has no home. It has been suggested that it might be part of the security system that tells the system that the stereo has been removed but don't know. Does anyone out there have knowledge of this particular wire? Even the local dealer seems to be baffled.

Thanks to all.

Shardon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2006, 01:02 PM   #2
Zaphod
SACPOWERTV.com

1981 J-Series Truck 

What color is the wire

"The existence of flamethrowers is proof that someone,
somewhere, said to himself, "I want to set those people
over there on fire, but I don't feel like walking over there to do it."
Zaphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2006, 01:15 PM   #3
nekked_frogg_52

must be the one that is neon clear.......... cuz I have a 95 ZJ and have never saw that "Park" Wire

95 [COLOR="Red"]Red[/COLOR] ZJ
5.2 MSD 6AL, Custom CAI, Blacked out windows, waiting on lift kit, in process of doing spring swap to clear 31's. In dash DVD/Nav, 2 12" Sony Xplod's, Old school Rockford amp, Boston Coustic mids/highs[/B]
[url]http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2329170[/url]
nekked_frogg_52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2006, 01:32 PM   #4
eltj

Dont worry about it. The only seperate wire that you have to worry about on your model is the ground.
eltj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2006, 03:34 PM   #5
Shardon
1995 XJ Cherokee 

It is white with a blue spiral stripe on it. Jeep service center says it may go to park lights although heaven knows why they would be connected to the radio!!
Unread 07-17-2006, 04:04 PM   #6
Zaphod
SACPOWERTV.com

1981 J-Series Truck 

Question: With that "park" wire un-spliced and the stereo on, does your antenna go up?

Methinks you might be looking at the remote power-on lead for the infinity amp and also the wire that tells the power antenna to get an erection.

If not that then

Unread 07-17-2006, 07:22 PM   #7
Shardon
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Yep sure does. Actually everything seems to be working okay. I was just concerned since I have started having issues with the security system and thought maybe it was getting bad info from the wire not being hooked in and making the secrity system think the stereo has been stolen but am told this is not the case with this vehicle. Most likely the ECU has taken a dump and will have to be replaced. Anywhere from 300 to 700 dollars but tht is what happens when you buy someone elses problems. Jeep is so nice that I guess I can't kick too much. Just spend the bucks and fix it from my wife. 1995 Grand Cherokee Orvis Edition with all the bells and whistles and generally in a 9 plus condition with engine replace at 61000 miles and total of 87000 miles on it. Oh well off to dealer tomorrow I guess.
Unread 07-21-2006, 05:17 PM   #8
Shardon
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Unknown Wire

To all who have tried to help me with the unknown wire - I have found out that the wire is for dimming the lights in the factory installed Infinity Gold head. When you use the slider switch to dim the instrument lights the radio display also dims and when headlights are turned on the display dims also. Aftermarket stereos do not have the capablity of display dimmiong so wire can just be left disconnected and of course if the end is bare it should be taped or shrink sleeving used to make sure it does not shorr out. Hope this is informative for anyone else with the same question and thanks to those who provided input. This is a super forum and has helped me immensly.
Unread 07-21-2006, 07:19 PM   #9
haumana
kickin' it in the VOG!

2000 WJ 

Shardon - You were able to keep and use the Infinity system (amp & speakers)?

I checked with a few local audio shops and all of them are telling me that they would need to completely bypass the existing stuff and drop in a new wiring setup and new speakers... something about 2ohms vs. 4ohms vs. 8ohms. I don't know what the hell all of that means, but several shops have quoted about $500 for a new deck, and four new speakers.

Any thoughts from anyone out there? I've already contacted Crutchfield, but they were not able to answer the specific question as to whether or not I could just change the head unit and add a PAC-SWIX module while using the existing amp and speakers. They only told me that everything will fit and that they have 24/7 lifetime tech support.

http://midpacsolutions.com
haumana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2006, 07:52 PM   #10
Zaphod
SACPOWERTV.com

1981 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by haumana

I checked with a few local audio shops and all of them are telling me that they would need to completely bypass the existing stuff and drop in a new wiring setup and new speakers... something about 2ohms vs. 4ohms vs. 8ohms. I don't know what the hell all of that means, but several shops have quoted about $500 for a new deck, and four new speakers.
My friend, you have come across the lowest of the low when it comes to customer service and sales people. The LIAR.

The LIAR is an evil creature. He/she will tell you things that are not true, like how you have to bypass the stock amp and purchase 4 brand new speakers with your new deck. This, of course, is a load of crap. Aftermarket decks work just fine with the stock amp and speakers.

Don't go back to that shop... unless it is to give the LIAR a swift kick in the testicles.

All you'll need a shop to do is put in the new deck, and they'll wire it into the existing stock amp and speakers. Done and done

Unread 08-06-2006, 02:35 PM   #11
Shardon
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by haumana

Any thoughts from anyone out there? I've already contacted Crutchfield, but they were not able to answer the specific question as to whether or not I could just change the head unit and add a PAC-SWIX module while using the existing amp and speakers. They only told me that everything will fit and that they have 24/7 lifetime tech support.
Sorry was out of town so did not see your question until today. No I used all the existing system and everything works fine.

Good luck and any questions please shout and I will be glad to help if I can,

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.