Aftermarket Power Steering Pump? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Aftermarket Power Steering Pump?

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 03-13-2014, 07:47 PM   #1
Kingr98
1998 ZJ 

Aftermarket Power Steering Pump?

My power steering resevoir has been leaking around the cap. I checked the parts stores and none carried replacement caps. I went to the dealership and bought one for $23.

When I went to put it on the next morning, I found that it was totally different than the cap currently on mine. The new one was a smaller diameter and was a quarter turn to close type. My current one is a screw on with female threads on the cap.

I took my cap in to the dealer to show him and he told me it was an aftermarket pump. I went to Advance Auto and looked at a replacement pump and the resevoir used a cap like the one at the dealer.

For now, I found an O ring that fits onside my cap and I am going to see if that seals it up.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Kingr98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2014, 08:25 PM   #2
kensnelling
1998 ZJ 

I've not noticed an issue with the caps, but I have seen where an OE reservoir wouldn't fit an aftermarket pump anr bis-versa.

Ken
kensnelling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2014, 02:55 PM   #3
V65Ozzie
1998 ZJ 

Just installed a pump from Advance on my 98, the cap fit no problem. At least now I know what that sound was under the hood.
Grumble grumble, squeal squeal, BANG!

And the shaft fell out of the pump. Repaired in the parts store parking lot, by flashlight. Used a pulley loaner tool to swap the pulley. Luckily I had my basic toolkit with me, and for some reason, a welder that day.....didn't need that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.