aftermarket converter question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > aftermarket converter question

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-12-2002, 07:25 AM   #1
mkatchew

aftermarket converter question

95 JGC has an aftermarket catalytic converter on it that was there when I bought it used. Haynes manual says that converter should last lifetime of vehicle or be replaced by manufacturer under extended warranty. Want to know if this is something I can get replaced by the manufacturer with the correct converter. Any thoughts on this would be appreciared.

Unread 03-12-2002, 08:07 AM   #2
fitzer

Just because Haynes makes this suggestion does not mean that it is necessarily a good one. The factory/DC catalytic converters on GC's (at least on 93-98's, not sure about 99 and newer) are prone to go bad. They are not quality units.

My experience has confirmed this. I have a 93' GC with the 4.0L I6. My first cat (factory) started going in late 96'- finally replaced in early 98'. My second cat (from dealer, installed by third party) started going bad in late 99' - replaced early 01'. This time I went to Mieneke - no problems since, but only 1 year on the cat. Mieneke has a good warranty - 5 years if I remember correctly. My next move is to get an aftermarket cat (CarSound) and another new O2 sensor (Bosch) when this one goes. Just taking the oppurtunity to do a little upgrading.

If you are not having problems with the cat do not change it out but do verify that it is the correct one for your GC.

Peace......
Unread 03-12-2002, 08:35 AM   #3
motox77x

mkatchew

hows the car running...unless the cat actually falls apart on the inside causing an exhaust restriction, it should last a lifetime as long as there is not a driveability problem present. this would cause the cat to either not get hot enough or get too hot. whats wrong with it, restricted flow or failed smog?
Unread 04-01-2002, 03:26 PM   #4
estover

I too am having what I think is a problem with my cat. Everything is fine with the Z untill you go up a hill. It stops a 3grand. after the top of the hill it revs nicley to 4500 or so.
Any info on getting it replaced through Jeep?
estover is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.