Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Aftermarket controlarm mounts D35

569 views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  Pierre_r 
#1 ·
I was welding up some other damage and the rear left controlarm mount decided to give me the best surprise ever... or not.
The mount is completly destroyed with rust and there are alot of cracks around the trackbar mount...
Had to weld it up the best i could care to do as i was to tired to try to get it to look good.

Is there any company that do aftermarket controlarm mounts for the D35?
Or my only choice is to replace the axle?

#4 ·
Modify an 8.8 bracket kit? The tube diameters don't match, but at least you can get 8.8 kits. Something like the artec truss wouldn't be a bad starting point.

The uppers in the rear are ZJ specific, the only other jeep to even have rear uppers from this generation is the TJ and it has different mount points.

I would just take it as an excuse to swap an 8.8, but I don't know your road laws, and I have fords a plenty to pick one out of.

#5 ·
#6 ·
OP is living in Sweden, and the last time I checked there are PLENTY of suitable Ford 8.8 axles available.
On the other hand, if this is mostly a street Jeep and used with 31s or smaller, stick with a D35. Brackets are fairly easy to fab yourself, all one needs is box steel, an angle grinder, a few drill bits, welder and a 12-pack of beer :)

* UCAs are 51mm wide -> 60mm x 120mm x 5mm wall box steel is a good starting point for the rear UCA brackets, and the trackbar mount is easy to fab from the same stuff.
* LCAs are 67,5mm wide, so if you can find 80mm x 120mm box steel of 6mm wall, it can be used to fab the LCA brackets.

#7 ·
I have not looked for any 8.8 rearaxle but i guess there are a ton of them around at the lockal scrapyard that only do US vehicles.
There will also be a ton of D35,s there.
That kit looked good but i guess the shipping sill be about the same as the price is and everything included in it will have to be replaced on mine anyways.
The Jeep is more on the road then it is off the road but it has 33" most of the time exept during winter when it only has 31"
If the scrapyard dont want to much for an axle i will probably go that way and use my bad one while i am fixing the new.

Last time that 12pack of beer got involved it quickly turned in to rum,whiskey and vodka and i had no idea where i was and apparently the day after no idea of what i was doing as i had to redo it all again...

#8 ·
For 33's I would jump on the excuse for an 8.8, or maybe just a d44a?

#9 ·
Yeap, I'd probably jsut get a 3.73 LP D30 + D44a from the junkyard.

Or, a HP D30 from a 2.5 diesel XJ which are plentiful in the junkyards around here, and either regear rear axle or get a matching Chyrsler 8.25". Diesels use 4.10 gears, which would be a big upgrade over the 3.55s you currently have.

#10 ·
Dont really know what i want to do right now, considering buying another and park this one in a corner of the yard and use it for parts..
It has 3.73 gears in the axles.
Looking up some other companys to see if they have any mounts before i just make them myself.

I have looked up replacing it with a 8.8 but thanks to a stupid law it will not pass inspection if i just do that because the 8.8 uses discbrakes instead of drums.
I must change 3 things on it then have it inspected and re registered as a modified vehicle and that inspection is alot of $..
The lift does not count as a mod as it is to small of a change from stock...
If i go that route i will have to redo the entire brakesystem, do something big to the engine and then some other thing..

#11 ·
You can't upgrade from drum brakes to disc brakes in Sweden? That sounds absolutely retarded.. and I thought the vehicle modification policies were much better in Sweden that what they are in Finland.

We've got zero issues using disc brakes instead of drums, and it's really a bolt-on-and-go-for-a-drive- type of thing to swap an axle to a vehicle equipped with solid axles (as long as width isn't increased by more than 100mm, and the gross axle load rating for the replacement axle is the same or better as original).
Vehicles like ZJs that were only available with ABS brakes are a bit harder, because you gotta keep the ABS system functional. With the Ford 8.8, it should be a fairly easy job.

#13 ·
Yes it is stupid, i mean why wuld you not be alowed to replace brakedrums that are not that great to discbrakes that are much better.
If i were in charge of those rules it would not be a problem for anyone who wanted to do it, better brakes cant be a bad thing on a 2ton vehicle..
On my jeep i am able to almost whatever i want as long as i dont mess with some systems as the brakes,abs, airbag and modify the engine to much.
Factory installed saftey equipment must still be installed and work.
Now if i had a 98 and up i would not be allowed to change anything from stock thanks to some eu regulation, i think you have the same overthere.

Wow, that, that totally blows.

The 8.8 still has a mechanical parking brake (uses the inside of the disc as a drum, just like the rear disc jeeps), that's the only thing that matters for road legal here, not that they check.
Its not the parkingbrake that ruins it, its the fact that you are replacing the servicebrakes from drums to discs, they dont care about the parkingbrake. As long as it is mechanical it can be inside the drums/discs, extra caliper on the discs just for the parkingbrake, it can even be on the driveshaft as some old land rovers used to have it.
If its mechanical it can be anywhere on the vehicle as long as it is able to hold it.

#12 ·
Wow, that, that totally blows.

The 8.8 still has a mechanical parking brake (uses the inside of the disc as a drum, just like the rear disc jeeps), that's the only thing that matters for road legal here, not that they check.

#15 ·
Yes i am, i talked to a guy who works at the place that inspects vehicles and asked him about replacing the drums to discbrakes and he said that i am not allowed to replace them and then pretend like i dont know about it (which was my plan if i did that)
All because the papers on mine says it has rear brakedrums, if papers had said nothing about the brakes i could get away with it.

Then they are a little better about mods on 98 and up in Finland, most of the time they dont care about it here to as long as it looks good its ok.
But if it is a new guy or one that takes his/her job to seriously they will fail a 98 and up for anything that is not stock.
I know of a few who have had their jeeps fail because there was not an "e"number on the indicatorlenses and that "they did not have the right orange color" even if they were factory lenses...

Anyways i think i am going to go with parts from rustys to fix it instead of replacing the axle as it will be faster and cheaper in the end.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.