aftermarket bump stop help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > aftermarket bump stop help

Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-27-2014, 05:24 PM   #1
Zack96

aftermarket bump stop help

I just got a 3.5 rough country lift and I need new front and rear bump stops. What should I get? And where do you get them?

Zack96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2014, 07:23 PM   #2
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

hockey pucks...dicks sporting goods
Unread 05-27-2014, 07:53 PM   #3
GR8_YT
1996 ZJ 

Get hockey pucks and slide them inside the spring. Save your money.

I didn't listen to this advice and bought these bump stops for the front http://www.quadratec.com/products/16311_43X_PG.htm
Got the 3" ones thinking they'd be good. Turns out the ZJ has 3" bump stops stock! So these do nothing if you replace the stock bump stops. I thought of leaving them floating with the stock bumpstops in place as well but they roll over sideways in the spring. I eventually replaced the stock front bumpstops that were shot with these and will be adding hockey pucks.

PS: I know you're supposed to drill the axle and bolt those bump stops to the bottom, leaving the stock ones at the top, but I don't like putting holes on my jeep, especially in the axle.
Unread 05-27-2014, 10:04 PM   #4
Zack96

I'll probably do the hockey puck but I also want to put the original back in. So what brand is good? I can not find the rear ones either
Unread 05-28-2014, 06:53 AM   #5
GR8_YT
1996 ZJ 

You can buy the OEM style bump stops at Autozone or other similar parts store (NAPA?).
Unread 05-28-2014, 07:11 AM   #6
Zack96

I went to auto zone and they said they are not available. I will check Napa tho.
Unread 05-28-2014, 10:33 AM   #7
GR8_YT
1996 ZJ 

Worse case you can order the bump stops in my link above and use those on top in place of OEM, they are a direct fit. If you do that, use alot of WD40, those bolts holding the front bumpstop retainer cups are a PITA to take out. One of my bolts broke and it took me 6 hours to drill it out!

Then use hockey pucks to get the added bump stop length.
Unread 05-28-2014, 11:00 AM   #8
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

I have my bumpstops extended using 3 hockey pucks per side. I think I still need one more per side up front to stop my shocks from being the bumpstops. For the rear RE makes a kit. That's what I'm running and that's the only thing I've been able to find. I believe it extends them long enough to prevent my shocks from bottoming out.
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2014, 01:30 PM   #9
RWC

http://4x4.fatbobsgarage.com/jeep-gr...998-p6475.aspx

Complete set of bolt-in extensions. Works perfectly. One set of pucks is used up front, and two each for each rear bumpstop. These space out the buckets from the unibody, so your OEM stops go back into the OEM buckets. IIRC, the hardware was actually allen-head bolts.
RWC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2014, 03:35 PM   #10
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

$20. That's pretty cheap.
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.