Aftermarket audio system issue.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Aftermarket audio system issue..

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-02-2013, 06:43 PM   #1
steviep6
1998 ZJ 

Aftermarket audio system issue..

Ok well I put in some subs new speakers and a new headunit but also kept my amp hooked up. I did that by using the intergrated harness connecting rcas in the rear of my deck and sending the signal wire to the amp harness. My problem is that my speaker volume is like half of the volume that the stock deck was when installed using the stock amp. This is what I'm confused with it makes no sense. Any advice?

steviep6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 06:59 PM   #2
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Are you using the stock amp??

the stereo in mine was set up by the po, going from an aftermarket head to an alpine amp, which splits it off to the speakers and the subs. May need an amp with more power.

My 5.9 swap (in progress)

Want your zj to be doorless in 60 seconds?
Myusername1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 07:57 PM   #3
bigb229
1998 ZJ 

Make sure you sent power from your receiver amp wore to the stock amps feeder wire
bigb229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 08:11 PM   #4
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Remember the stock amp uses speaker level inputs. Not the RCA connections out of the aftermarket head unit.

I put a Sony head unit in mine. Blaupunkt speakers in the front, Pioneer in the rear, and a Kenwood home stereo 160W sub in the back powered by a Harbor Freight inverter.

It's headache inducing at 50% volume.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 09:15 PM   #5
Edwardmiller221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_D View Post
Remember the stock amp uses speaker level inputs. Not the RCA connections out of the aftermarket head unit.

I put a Sony head unit in mine. Blaupunkt speakers in the front, Pioneer in the rear, and a Kenwood home stereo 160W sub in the back powered by a Harbor Freight inverter.

Nice I have alpine head, 650 watt Rockford fosgate amp hooked up to two component fosgate speaks in front and mounted two fosgate 9x11 off the back trunk pillars. One 12 inch sub hooked up to a 1200 watt amp. Have not been able to turn all the way up yet. 18 is the highest I will go and at that level the hair on your head is ticking. You can feel the vibrations move through you. Petty amazing.
Edwardmiller221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 01:19 AM   #6
thetammon
1995 ZJ 

I have a Sony deck, and I bypassed the stock amp so my speakers run off the deck. Front and rear speakers are alpine sps 610 I think, then I have 2 12" jl subs that run off a Jensen 900 watt amp.

Sent from something using JeepForum
thetammon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 06:26 AM   #7
steviep6
1998 ZJ 

Well I'm using the stock amp still but without all this installed the stock deck was literally twice as loud with the stock amp. I'm thinking about wiring speakers right to the deck and say screw the stock amp after work td. The subs work amazing 2 jl w3 in jl audio box powered by arc audio amp.
Unread 04-03-2013, 06:45 AM   #8
sebian
1995 ZJ 

Stock deck, amp, and speakers are all 2 ohm. Aftermarket are 4 ohm, so to get better sound you will need to replace the stock amp.

List of parts not replaced yet:
sebian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 07:28 AM   #9
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Rca output voltage is less than the stock line level outputs. Effectively cuts the gain in half.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 04:49 PM   #10
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steviep6 View Post
Ok well I put in some subs new speakers and a new headunit but also kept my amp hooked up. I did that by using the intergrated harness connecting rcas in the rear of my deck and sending the signal wire to the amp harness. My problem is that my speaker volume is like half of the volume that the stock deck was when installed using the stock amp. This is what I'm confused with it makes no sense. Any advice?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_D View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
Rca output voltage is less than the stock line level outputs. Effectively cuts the gain in half.
We've answered your question twice already.

If you're using the stock amplifier, you won't use the RCA connections on the new head unit except to your sub amp. Disconnect the RCA connections from the stock amp and wire in the speaker outputs from your new head unit into the stock amp. In other words, wire up your 4 speaker outputs from the head unit into the stock harness in the dash, as if there was no stock amp there at all. The stock amplifier DOES NOT use RCA inputs. It uses speaker level inputs. I'm trying to word this as many diferent ways as possible so there is no confusion here.

That's what I've done and as I posted before mine is headache inducing at 50% volume on a ****ty 10 year old Sony Xplode head unit.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Unread 04-03-2013, 11:56 PM   #11
steviep6
1998 ZJ 

Yea the damn stock amp was resisting my rms badly. Just ran speaker wire directly into the deck and called it a day sounds so much better. This is my first jeep, one thing I learned td unless ur running a amp for speakers good luck running all the spkr wire behind deck NO extra room really in door door jams/dash..
Unread 04-04-2013, 10:57 AM   #12
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

I just used the original wiring from the factory. Got one of those Scoche wiring harness adapters and crimped it onto the aftermarket head unit. Left everything else the way it was.

I did have to replace my speakers as the passenger's front one and the driver's rear were both blown out bad. But again, used the factory wiring. Just crimped new connectors on the speaker ends and called it good.

No offense, but unless you're going in to audio competitions where you're running several hundred watts into your door speakers, the factory wiring is going to be more than sufficient. 18/20 gauge wire will handle more than anything a standard head unit can put out. Really, why re-engineer something the factory already did for you? And since the factory amp is already there, why not make use of it?

I've got 50W Blaupunkt speakers in the front and 55W Pioneer speakers in the rear. I can take my head unit up to just before the distortion point and all the speakers handle it just fine. To the point that even screaming at each other you're not going to have a conversation. Just ain't happening. The stereo is too loud.

Add in the 160W home stereo sub in the back and there's no way in hell you're seeing anything out of any of the three mirrors. They're just a blur.

Oh, and none of my levels are cranked. Bass is 50%, treble is about 80% and the sub is at 50% (with the gain on the sub at 50% and crossover at 100Hz). Bass doubler setting is off as is Loudness.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Unread 04-04-2013, 02:04 PM   #13
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

why run new wiring? because the factory wiring insulation is prone to becoming brittle and breaking on you.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.