After tune-up, MPG PLUMMET!?! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > After tune-up, MPG PLUMMET!?!

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 07-17-2011, 11:01 PM   #1
congerz83
1996 ZJ 

After tune-up, MPG PLUMMET!?!

I just changed my plugs (CHAMPION Copper) Air filter, fuel filter, wires, cap and rotor and put some Lucas injector cleaner in the tank. My MPG went from 16.5 to 13.9! My best was 18.1. I've also noticed that my tank capacity seems to have dropped as well. I normally fill up shortly after the ligh comes on. My last fill ups were, 22.26/17.7/18.13/19.33. Is this a common problem with the ZJ?

I did notice my plug gap was smaller than the plugs I removed. Could improper gap cause such a drastic drop? The old plugs seemed to be the same Champion Coppers as the ones I put in. Is there a better plug anyone reccomends?

It's a 4.0 with 153,000 on it.

congerz83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2011, 01:42 AM   #2
Crazy4Wheelin
1975 FSJ Wagoneer 

I lost mileage in my zj as well... not sure why. I believe I pulled coppers out as well and we are slowly loosing mileage. I'm thinking that my next tune up i'm going to try different plugs. Maybe platinum or bosch +2s? Anyone know how they run in ZJs?

Idk about the smaller gap especially if its the proper gap the vehicle calls for. I know on most cars, the smaller proper gap causes the car to run better and get better mpg.... but then again, we are talking about a jeep. Lol

I figured it was just my motor since it has about 210k on it. After I did this tune up, the family and I took it to NYC for a week and dealt with some harsh and hot driving conditions. Figured that had something to do with it as well.

Thanks for posting up. I oddly like when someone has the same problem I do. :-) if I find anything I will deffinately post up.

☮ 75 Waggy ~Nadia~ Slightly built 401/TH400/BW1339 w/part time kit
☮ 96 ZJ ~Weebo~ Stock 4.0L with 31/10.50/R15
Crazy4Wheelin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2011, 03:19 AM   #3
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

I bet you didnt gap the new plugs did you? Never just put plugs in from the package.

Also, reset the ecu any time you do a tune up.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2011, 04:15 AM   #4
mudruna
1994 ZJ 

yup reset the ECM by pulling off the negative cable so it can relearn it's new parts. And also you should check your spark plug gap, they all need to be the same and within spec to make your ignition system happy.
Unread 07-18-2011, 07:51 AM   #5
congerz83
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudruna View Post
yup reset the ECM by pulling off the negative cable so it can relearn it's new parts. And also you should check your spark plug gap, they all need to be the same and within spec to make your ignition system happy.
I did neither. Can you save me the search function and let me know what to gap them?
Unread 07-18-2011, 08:04 AM   #6
timmay5309
1998 ZJ 

You need a guage to gap them, most auto parts stores have them right on the checkout counter. There should be a sticker on your radiator support that will tell you the spark plug gap that shows the emissions info. Always check the gap before installing them. They are banged around in shipping, by the parts people, etc... Unhooking the ECM and gapping should do the trick. How frustrating to do a tune up, and have it do the opposite effect, grrr!
timmay5309 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2011, 08:53 AM   #7
congerz83
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmay5309 View Post
You need a guage to gap them, most auto parts stores have them right on the checkout counter. There should be a sticker on your radiator support that will tell you the spark plug gap that shows the emissions info. Always check the gap before installing them. They are banged around in shipping, by the parts people, etc... Unhooking the ECM and gapping should do the trick. How frustrating to do a tune up, and have it do the opposite effect, grrr!
Especially being that the #1 plug was a complete PITA. I'm reading it's .035. How long do I need to leave the cable disconnected?
Unread 07-18-2011, 08:56 AM   #8
1stblack97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by congerz83 View Post
Especially being that the #1 plug was a complete PITA. I'm reading it's .035. How long do I need to leave the cable disconnected?
10 minutes or so
Plenty of lights
1stblack97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2011, 12:36 PM   #9
congerz83
1996 ZJ 

Ok, gap set, computer re-set. I'll post results.
Unread 07-18-2011, 03:47 PM   #10
timmay5309
1998 ZJ 

I know what you mean on that # 1 plug. I cracked the new plug putting it in there on my first tune up. I didnt realize it till removing everything i put in, that being the last thing of course. Frustrating on how after doing a tune up, it runs worse that before...
timmay5309 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2011, 04:42 PM   #11
ctak24
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Wheelin View Post
I'm thinking that my next tune up i'm going to try different plugs. Maybe platinum or bosch +2s? Anyone know how they run in ZJs?
Copper conducts electricity better then Iridium or Platinum.
Also, the +2 and +4 plugs are more hype than anything. They still utilize only one ground electrode.
ctak24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2011, 04:47 PM   #12
Crazy4Wheelin
1975 FSJ Wagoneer 

Thanks for the info. I ran bosch +4s in my saturn and the burned to hot... started frying the rings so I put platinums in instead of the standard copper and it ran perfect.

I checked the gap on mine before I put them in and they were correct. Always reset computer and still have same problem. Any other suggestions besides what has been mentioned?

Sent from my motorola flipside using JeepForum App!

~Weebo~ 1996 ZJ 4.0
~Nadia~ 1975 Waggy built 401 BG1339 w/ pt kit

☮ 75 Waggy ~Nadia~ Slightly built 401/TH400/BW1339 w/part time kit
☮ 96 ZJ ~Weebo~ Stock 4.0L with 31/10.50/R15
Crazy4Wheelin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2011, 12:18 AM   #13
gothchick
1998 ZJ 

Might want to also make sure the plug wires a firmly seated on the plugs and the cap... And from the cap to the coil. Might be arcing somewhere..

Finished 4x2 --> 4x4 conversion.
gothchick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2011, 09:28 AM   #14
Derph
1994 ZJ 

Check firing order.
Derph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2011, 09:31 AM   #15
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

I use chamion platnuims, and saw an increase of 3mpg over standard copper. And they last much longer.

Throw some fuel injector cleaner every time you change the oil keeps the junk from bulding up. Proformance and economy will remain steady in between tune ups.
JS97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.