Advice on Installing Aftermarket Fogs on '93 ZJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Advice on Installing Aftermarket Fogs on '93 ZJ?

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-17-2010, 06:34 PM   #1
mofo13
1993 ZJ 

Advice on Installing Aftermarket Fogs on '93 ZJ?

Hey, all, I picked up a set of aftermarket fogs (Hella 550) and have the wiring all figured out and such. Now, I just need to figure out the best way to mount the suckers.

Anyone have any advice or ideas? I know this has been done before. Someone told me to just mount them to the bumper....but that doesn't seem like the best approach.

mofo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2010, 06:52 PM   #2
BlackDaddyZJ
1994 ZJ 

What i did on my 94 is take off the grille piece and look at the header panel and there will be 2 bolts evenly spaced. I fabbed up 2 brackets that have a 90 degree bend in them and then put a couple washers to make the brackets sit flush with the bumper. Then i put the lights on the bracket and reinstalled the grille to see how they looked. I wired them by buying a generice 30 amp relay kit and buying an aftermarket headlight switch with foglight switch so the whole thing is clean no extra switches in the cab. This is all with a foglight kit from walmart so idk if this helps but i tried
IRO 4.5" Lift
35x12.5 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ's

98 5.9
Restored and daily driven
BlackDaddyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2010, 07:01 PM   #3
mofo13
1993 ZJ 

Cool. Thanks. Any pix of the final result?

I changed the oil in the ZJ yesterday and it was draining out, I popped off the grill and made note of those 2 bolts as well. I bascially started thinking what seems to be your implementation. It seems to be a fairly easy way to do it.
Unread 01-17-2010, 07:05 PM   #4
BlackDaddyZJ
1994 ZJ 

no i dont have any pics of them yet, i dont have access to a camera right now. But yeah it was real simple. I only wished that the new switch had the original size knob cuz this one is much smaller but thats a minor detail.
IRO 4.5" Lift

98 5.9
Unread 01-17-2010, 07:09 PM   #5
mofo13
1993 ZJ 

No worries. It'll come out how it does and I didn't like it, I could easily reverse it and not have any any cut outs to hide or look at. Thanks for the input!

I picked up 2 different switches from O'Reilly Auto Parts. One is a slim, rectangular, non-illuminated rocker switch. The other is a round button in a square plate and has a small, green LED that would come on if the switch is in the ON position, but the whole switch would not be illuminated. I kinda like the latter, but its bigger and thereby presents more of a problem with finding a home for it. I'll just return whichever I don't use.....unless I find something better in the meantime.
Unread 01-17-2010, 07:20 PM   #6
BlackDaddyZJ
1994 ZJ 

yeah, i personally dpnt like having extra switches really. if you want to do it realllly clean you can run it through the fuse box under the hood using a 30 amp relay and if urs doesnt have the plugs from the factory fogs then a generic relay kit would be the way to go. it would be easier for shops to fix if ever there was a problem u werent able to fix. all the part #'s from o'reilly's are as follows:
relay: A715
switch: C1556
couldnt find the right relay kit though sorry
IRO 4.5" Lift

98 5.9
Unread 01-17-2010, 08:29 PM   #7
mofo13
1993 ZJ 

I don't think I have the factory plug for fogs, but I suppose I should check before making that statement. I'm guessing it'd just be tucked away somewhere behind the grill or thereabout?

I was kind of hoping to use my fogs as supplemental to the headlights so the OE-type switch panel wouldn't work. Or, stupid question, but using that switch panel, if fogs are selected, are the low beams still on? All the cars I've had always had a seperate button specifically for fog light on/off.

I'm not much a fan of odd switches being added in, but I don't think I can get away with it here....just have to find something not too gawdy or out of place looking.
Unread 01-17-2010, 09:07 PM   #8
MTBjunkie
1993 ZJ 

just installed a set of cheap baja lights on the front of my ZJ between the factory fogs. quick rundown. for the way i mounted them... i just took the angle grinder and fabbed up 2 brackets the shape of an (L) just like the factory brackets..... mounted them to the actual steel bumper with the shorter tab facing the front then just bolted on the new lights. i drilled a hole in the plastic bumper cover so that the bolt and wires would fit through. basically the plastic is the middle layer betwen the fabbed bracket and the actual bottom of the lights bracket.

now i took a shortcut with the wiring and just spliced the new lights in with the factory lights. thus eliminating the need for a new switch. but since you have a better idea of your wiring id certainly use it! only fault with mine is all 4 of my lights are on at once. great off road, not so nice on the hwy....

i have plenty of pics so i can throw a few on here upon request.
i know these arnt your lights but hope this helps a little with the mounting question.
Unread 01-18-2010, 06:55 AM   #9
mofo13
1993 ZJ 

I appreciate the responses. Pix would be great!

I have yet to take off the bumper. Any trick to getting off the plastic rivets without destroying them?
Unread 01-18-2010, 09:31 AM   #10
MTBjunkie
1993 ZJ 

im out right now ill post pics when i get home i just used a flatbar i have and a flathead to pop them out
Unread 01-18-2010, 09:52 AM   #11
BlackDaddyZJ
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofo13 View Post
I don't think I have the factory plug for fogs, but I suppose I should check before making that statement. I'm guessing it'd just be tucked away somewhere behind the grill or thereabout?

I was kind of hoping to use my fogs as supplemental to the headlights so the OE-type switch panel wouldn't work. Or, stupid question, but using that switch panel, if fogs are selected, are the low beams still on? All the cars I've had always had a seperate button specifically for fog light on/off.

I'm not much a fan of odd switches being added in, but I don't think I can get away with it here....just have to find something not too gawdy or out of place looking.
Yes when using that switch from o'reillys you move the knob all the way over and it turns the lowbeams on and the foglights on, when you turn the highbeams on though it automatically turns them off. The later gc had the knob and a seperate button for it but that headlight switch wont work for the 93-95 as it differs from the interior of the 96-98
IRO 4.5" Lift

98 5.9
Unread 01-18-2010, 07:25 PM   #12
MTBjunkie
1993 ZJ 

aight as promised.... my fab work with a coat of paint to protect it a little

close up with the lights mounted

with the newly painted grill

and just for kicks...one before the new lights and grill update

hope my crappy fab pics help out a bit
-adam
Unread 01-19-2010, 12:27 AM   #13
JesseOR
1993 ZJ 

My factory fogs were different than those as were the mounts.

But I used the same lights! GO WALLY WORLD!! Lol

Love the beem pattern!

www.facebook.com/jesse.whitehargrove
JesseOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 12:43 AM   #14
JesseOR
1993 ZJ 

Here's mine, sorry they're so small, taken with my phone.

As you can see, in the stock location. I had to use 6 washers each and they can't get tight enough. I think I'm going to drill a hole in the factory mounts and use the mounts that came with them.

On, good output. My stockers were 35w and these are 55w

www.facebook.com/jesse.whitehargrove
JesseOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2010, 01:47 AM   #15
mofo13
1993 ZJ 

Holy crap.....major PITA just to get the bumper off! The screw that holds in the front passenger side parking light will not budge so I couldn't get under the turn signal to undo the bumper clip. Anyways, finally got the bumper off and starting removing some of the dash panels to look for a spot to mount a switch.

Thanks for e-mailing those pix, Jay!

Anyone have an idea where I might mount the relay? The Hellas came with one with an inline 15A fuse. The relay has a screw hole through a tab atop it. Didn't really seem it was meant to go in the relay box so much as being screwing into the chassis somewhere(?).

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.