Advice on first ZJ!!! Help me please - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Advice on first ZJ!!! Help me please

CurrieZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!

Unread 02-21-2012, 01:03 PM   #1
BRae_in_a_ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Advice on first ZJ!!! Help me please

today i will be taking home my first ZJ! i am excited but i really have a few concerns.
what are some problems i should look out for?
is there anything i need to check for?
how can i get this jeep in ship shape before my inspection?

any advice will help! even the little things. thank you so much!

Unread 02-21-2012, 01:15 PM   #2
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

-If it's a 97 with a 4.0 in it, go ahead and plan to spend $249 on a rebuilt PCM when it begins stalling in the middle of busy intersections during rush hour.
- Make sure the front trac bar bolts are tight. ( death wobble)
- When your front passenger side carpet gets wet while running the air, search for the drain clean out procedure here on the forums.
- Keep your battery terminals clean and tight ! This is especially important on Jeeps.
- You headliner is going to fall down. Deal with it and get it replaced. ( $160)
- Now, go run over some Toyotas !

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2012, 01:18 PM   #3
gactech
1998 ZJ 

Don't complain about the MPG
gactech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2012, 01:25 PM   #4
zeejay92
1996 ZJ 

Change your crankshaft sensor along with 2 rapid oil changes @500 miles a piece, transmission fluid (ATF-4 from dealer i suggest), transfer case fluid (from dealer also) and front and rear axle fluid (80w-90 for most). This is what I did on mine and no major problems thus far. Good luck with it!
zeejay92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2012, 01:30 PM   #5
Freestyle713
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gactech View Post
Don't complain about the MPG
x3829

And you have the nv249 transfer case, which means its in 4wd all the time, and if it hasnt already, the vc will fail sooner or later. Since you have a 97, you can find a 242 or 231 out of a 4.0 and swap it in directly if you find one with the right input shaft length. This way you have 2wd. Also, if you plan on lifting it, plan on swapping out the cv joint in the front driveshaft as well, because that is notorious for failing once you lift it.
[B]94 Grand Cherokee 5.2[/B] [SIZE="1"]33in. Federal Couragia M/T's on Procomp Steelies, np231 swap, IRO Hack n Tap SYE, Carolina Driveshaft, 4.5 in. lift, RE front upper/rear lower ca's, RC front lowers, Ironman rear uppers, IRO 4.5 coils in rear, 3.5 and 2" bb (no isolators) in front, Bilstein 5100's, Clayton/JKS adj. track bars, KOR rad support and SS, Magnaflow/Flowmaster exhaust, clear corners, custom light bar w/ Hella 500's[/SIZE]

[CENTER][COLOR="Yellow"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/zombie-outbreak-response-vehicles/"][COLOR="Yellow"]Zombie Outbreak Response Team[/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR][/CENTER]
[QUOTE=elcorvino;14544406]Yea... It's kind of like the fat chick who lives around the corner. You aren't trying to get caught with her, but you know she'd be a good time.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ScottD16;14460352]I had a dream my entire family was attacked by a giant polar bear. The crazy part was he attacked us with a giant spoon. Best dream ever.[/QUOTE]
Freestyle713 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2012, 01:58 PM   #6
ngould1
1996 ZJ 

Be ready to replace muffler and catalytic converter. Shocks are probably shot. My shocks had holes in them from rusting out. And possible steering linkage like sway bar links tie rod ends things like that. Good luck!
ngould1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2012, 02:19 PM   #7
gactech
1998 ZJ 

But even though all of this has been said it really is a great vehicle.
gactech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2012, 02:27 PM   #8
accord23
1998 ZJ 

Enjoy your Jeep!!! Suck a great toy..
accord23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2012, 02:36 PM   #9
Ket72
1998 ZJ 

I guess the number 1 thing is get ready to spend alot of time at your closest auto parts store.
Ket72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2012, 04:03 PM   #10
hdrocknroll
1995 ZJ 

Change all fluids ,Ft&RR Dif,Transfer (Case ATF+4),(Trans+ filterATF+4),Power Steering,Coolant,Oil,
New Air filter.Put some seafoam in your gas tank,right off the bat.
If you have a oil leak by the oil filter it is the, oil filter adapter O rings, 5 bucks at dealer.
I could make this list very long but wont.

Watch Out For The Air Hose Gone Wild!! Or Wear A Cup,: True Story

[QUOTE=rooster51;13297693] Whats the worse that can happen? Your jeeps already broke.

[/QUOTE]
hdrocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2012, 04:46 PM   #11
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

Since your jeep isn't stock, the previous owner has probably addressed some common concerns. It's really hard to say what it's going to need. Make sure all the lights work and nothing obvious is wrong and run it thru the inspection station. Go from there.

Good luck with it, always exciting to have a new vehicle.
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2012, 08:07 PM   #12
BRae_in_a_ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfrog View Post
-If it's a 97 with a 4.0 in it, go ahead and plan to spend $249 on a rebuilt PCM when it begins stalling in the middle of busy intersections during rush hour.
- Make sure the front trac bar bolts are tight. ( death wobble)
- When your front passenger side carpet gets wet while running the air, search for the drain clean out procedure here on the forums.
- Keep your battery terminals clean and tight ! This is especially important on Jeeps.
- You headliner is going to fall down. Deal with it and get it replaced. ( $160)
- Now, go run over some Toyotas !
I will make sure to do these things. good news for me the previous owner just put in brand new headliner. i will make sure to run over as many yotas as i can
Unread 02-21-2012, 08:08 PM   #13
BRae_in_a_ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeejay92 View Post
Change your crankshaft sensor along with 2 rapid oil changes @500 miles a piece, transmission fluid (ATF-4 from dealer i suggest), transfer case fluid (from dealer also) and front and rear axle fluid (80w-90 for most). This is what I did on mine and no major problems thus far. Good luck with it!
Thanks for the pointers! i will get as much done as i can with the fluids thats always a good idea
Unread 02-21-2012, 08:10 PM   #14
BRae_in_a_ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngould1 View Post
Be ready to replace muffler and catalytic converter. Shocks are probably shot. My shocks had holes in them from rusting out. And possible steering linkage like sway bar links tie rod ends things like that. Good luck!
its funny you said that cuz my shocks are obliverated haha thanks for the pointers!
Unread 02-21-2012, 08:12 PM   #15
BRae_in_a_ZJ
1997 ZJ 

thanks so much everybody! i already have my list of things to replace/refresh started thanks to this.

Tags
first jeep , tune up , zj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.