Adjusting the rocker arms on a 4.0 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Adjusting the rocker arms on a 4.0

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 10-15-2010, 01:51 PM   #1
klockdoc

Adjusting the rocker arms on a 4.0

Just replaced a head gasket in a 1993 4.0. Getting ready to assemble.

Excuse me for being a little naive or dumb, however you want to classify it, but I have done multiple searches (here and google) on the proper installation and settings of the lifters in a 4.0 and I cannot locate anything that I can decipher as a proper understanding method. My Haynes repair manual doesn't even discuss it thoroughly for me to comprehend.

Here is what I found....

Quote:
ROCKER ARMS AND PUSH RODS
This procedure can be done with the engine in or out of the vehicle.

REMOVAL

Remove the engine cylinder head cover.
Check for rocker arm bridges which are causing misalignment of the rocker arm to valve tip area.
Remove the capscrews at each bridge and pivot assembly Rocker Arm Assembly Alternately loosen the capscrews one turn at a time to avoid damaging the bridges.
Remove the bridges, pivots and corresponding pairs of rocker arms Rocker Arm Assembly Place them on a bench in the same order as removed.
Remove the push rods and place them on a bench in the same order as removed.
INSTALLATION
Lubricate the ball ends of the push rods with Mopar Engine Oil Supplement, or equivalent and install push rods in their original locations. Ensure that the bottom end of each push rod is centered in the tappet plunger cap seat.
Using Mopar Engine Oil Supplement, or equivalent, lubricate the area of the rocker arm that the pivot contacts. Install rocker arms, pivots and bridge above each cylinder in their originally position.
Loosely install the capscrews through each bridge.
At each bridge, tighten the capscrews alternately, one turn at a time, to avoid damaging the bridge. Tighten the capscrews to 28 Nm (21 ft. lbs.) torque.
Install the engine cylinder head cover.
Now, in the manual, it states to bring the #1 cylinder to TDC. After adjusting the rocker arm, it says turn the motor over 120 degrees and go to cylinder #5.

This is 1/3 rd of a revolution. Can I just watch the rotor or is there a simpler method?

Also, it doesn't complete the next steps, so I am figuring that this sequence follows the firing order...Correct?

It also seems in the above quote, that you just place the the head on the engine and alternately tighten the rocker arm bolts to 21 ft.lbs. with no regard for any positioning of the valves/cylinders. This just doesn't seem right.

Can some one explain to me in a step by step process of what I need to do.

Also, I did not keep the push rods separate when disassembling. Is this going to cause a problem?

Thank you.

klockdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2010, 01:57 PM   #2
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

looks clear to me
assembly lube on each contact point.
do each cylinder at tdc.
alternate turns between both bolts on each individual rocker assembly so you don't bind.
torque to 21ftlbs.

if you did not mark pushrods and rockers for each tappet. get new stuff. it can cause issues.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2010, 02:27 PM   #3
klockdoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
looks clear to me
assembly lube on each contact point.
do each cylinder at tdc.
alternate turns between both bolts on each individual rocker assembly so you don't bind.
torque to 21ftlbs.

if you did not mark pushrods and rockers for each tappet. get new stuff. it can cause issues.

Ok, do each cylinder at TDC. That's kind of what I thought, but wasn't sure. I think I will do a trial run with TDC on all cylinders with turning the engine over before I put the head on.

I left the rockers on their original positions, just didn't keep push rods separate.
klockdoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.