Adjustable Track Bar vs. Front Tow Hooks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Adjustable Track Bar vs. Front Tow Hooks

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 06-06-2013, 04:28 PM   #1
JeepForever

Adjustable Track Bar vs. Front Tow Hooks

Hey Friends,
I need your input on a purchasing decision. Last year I installed bigger springs and gained about 2 1/2 inches lift. The axle is slightly off-center because I still have the stock track bar. Here's where I need your input. If I had $150-$200 to invest in my Jeep, which would be a better investment?
1. Adjustable front track bar
2. Front tow hooks or radiator support with recovery points
3. Save up for bigger tires
4. Feed my family
5. Do nothing because something else is likely to break and you'll need the $$$.

Thank you in advance for your wise counsel.
~Doug T.

JeepForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 04:33 PM   #2
Kreeper
1994 ZJ 

Adjustable track bar and lots of top ramen for the family

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Kreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 04:37 PM   #3
CatSplat
Derp.

1994 ZJ 

If you plan to take it offroad, get the OEM hooks/plates from a junkyard for $50 - most clubs won't even let you wheel without proper front and rear recovery points.
Unread 06-06-2013, 05:23 PM   #4
capcyclone

1998 ZJ 

Agreed. Get tow hooks installed and you can splurge and have hamburger in your Hamburger Helper this weekend.
Unread 06-06-2013, 05:24 PM   #5
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

If it's between tow hooks and feeding the family you may want to sell the Jeep....or put the kids up for adoption.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 05:29 PM   #6
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatSplat View Post
If you plan to take it offroad, get the OEM hooks/plates from a junkyard for $50 - most clubs won't even let you wheel without proper front and rear recovery points.
This.

But if "Feed the family" was serious, do that first.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 06:28 PM   #7
tucsonzj
1995 ZJ 

you can get bolt in tow hooks from a zj donor for cheap, and then get an adj track bar

[QUOTE=riot1987;15573985] I learned to tuck my stick....[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=kg6mov;19913617]Yeh, washing it inside and out is on my to-do, eventually, maybe, if I have time, OOOH angle grinder.[/QUOTE]

RIP Ratmonkey-5/27/13. You will be missed.
tucsonzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 08:26 AM   #8
JeepForever

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
This.

But if "Feed the family" was serious, do that first.
I chose to feed my family. Is there a support group for guys who wrestle with balancing Jeep time & expense with family obligations? I also need a support group for people who have no time for support groups. Perhaps a Christian Jeepers group would be able to help. Is say it in a humorous way, but I seriously do wrestle with stuff like this sometimes. For now I keep reminding myself that my jeep is "just a car". It gets me where I need to go and I know how to do roadside repairs when it decides to stop working...it's just a car.
Thanks for your support and encouragement. I'll check back every once in a while.
JeepForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 09:11 AM   #9
rooster51
1997 ZJ 

[QUOTE="JeepForever;15551350"]

Is there a support group for guys who wrestle with balancing Jeep time & expense with family obligations? ./QUOTE]

This is it.
Unread 06-12-2013, 09:13 AM   #10
rooster51
1997 ZJ 

My phone sucks for replying , btw.
Unread 06-12-2013, 09:28 AM   #11
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Don't use the factory hooks, they suck, get the kor support.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 09:47 AM   #12
a70eliminator

Curious as to what failed on your factory recovery hooks, mine has a slightly bent hook but the jeep was tugged on sideways by the wrecker to get it into position, then pulled straight up an almost 90 degree cliff, all by the front hooks, I was impressed they held up.
a70eliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 02:18 PM   #13
OldManTan
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
Don't use the factory hooks, they suck, get the kor support.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a70eliminator View Post
Curious as to what failed on your factory recovery hooks, mine has a slightly bent hook but the jeep was tugged on sideways by the wrecker to get it into position, then pulled straight up an almost 90 degree cliff, all by the front hooks, I was impressed they held up.
x2....?
KG6MOV...did your factory hooks fail? or did you reply like this because you currently have the KOR rad support and read somewhere that XXXXX hooks flew a million feet and blew someone's ribcage all to sht after a few tugs.?

curious because Mine have held up fine after a few hard tugs.
OldManTan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 03:52 PM   #14
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Location: In your attic, with the squirrels and wrapping paper
Recovery points could save you from having to replace your front axle/ control arms when they rip out from your jeep cause you had to tie off to the axle.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2qnkMWM7lTE?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

^build thread^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.