Adjustable control arms with rubber bushings and flex. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Adjustable control arms with rubber bushings and flex.

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail *VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-15-2013, 06:25 PM   #1
shackwrrr

Adjustable control arms with rubber bushings and flex.

how are the adjustable with the solid bushings at flex? Stock control arms are built so the metal flexes instead of the bushings, but when you go to a aftermarket with stock bushings they can't twist anymore.

I've thought about loosening the jam nuts when offroading to allow the control arm to flex and when Im done, just tighten up the jam nuts again.

shackwrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 11:08 AM   #2
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

i had solid rubber bushings on both ends of my lowers and iron man uppers, could stuff 32s on 5" of lift and it did not affect them
the jam nut idea is terrible, forget you ever thought about it
Unread 05-16-2013, 11:39 AM   #3
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Yeah, loosening the jam nut will damage the threads more than anything.
WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 04:21 PM   #4
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

never drive with loose jam nuts unless you like your arms to pull completely apart.

rubber in the stock control arms does flex before the arms do. rubber and poly bushings flex just fine for as much travel as you can realistically get from short arms.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.