Additives to improve performance? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Additives to improve performance?

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Steinjäger photo contest!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 08-19-2013, 10:01 AM   #1
JayRay08
1996 ZJ 

Additives to improve performance?

What procedure do you guys like to do to clean out and free up your engine to perform better? Seafoam, Marvel mystery oil, engine restore, lucas products, etc ,etc.... which do you guys perfer to do and in what order prior to an oil change?

JayRay08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 02:13 PM   #2
EBrunson
1996 ZJ 

Seafoam in the gas 1-2 times a year on long drving trips.
Seafoam in oil, drive it a least 20 miles then change the oil.
Infrequently run Seafoam through the Brake Booster while engine is running (smokes a bit). Change spark plugs as needed!
EBrunson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 03:24 PM   #3
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

I will sell you some snake oil!
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 04:37 PM   #4
StellaTheZJ
1996 ZJ 

I gotta say, I usually run Texaco gas in the ZJ (one of the cheaper stations around here), and when I swapped intake manifolds a few years ago, I was shocked at how clean the valve stems and ports were. I don't see how SeaFoam could do much better.

That said, I did run Sea Foam through the old girl just for fun, and even at 440,000kms, I didn't get the clouds of smoke I expected after reading about other people's experiences. In addition, I noticed no improvements in the way it ran (runs pretty well except just after a cold start). It was smoky for sure, but not like I expected.

Buy all the products (preferrably on sale!), and report back to us if anything actually makes a difference that someone else might be able to notice!
StellaTheZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 06:12 PM   #5
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Fuel line cleaning products sometimes help. Instead of oil additives, use good oil, which has a proper balance to begin with.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 08:51 PM   #6
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

When I buy a jeep , the throttle body comes off and it and the IAC get a good cleaning . Most times I use the remainder of the can down the TB after it's hot . Never seen the need to repeat the process more than once . I use Mopar combustion chamber cleaner only . It's just maintenance .

For additives , I don't use much at all . Just one . Lucas Octane boost . Stuff works . You won't save any money but it does feel like a tune up in a bottle . I tested it on the same trip , regular , regular + Lucas , Premium , and premium plus Lucas , all in my 2011 Ram Hemi . There was a 7 mpg difference and the truck felt so much better running the prem.+booster . I gained over 50 miles on a tank in my RV coming back up the mountains using this stuff (32' BBC 454)

I first used Lucas when I installed my perf. PCM in my Orvis . Just filled up the day it arrived . Sure enough , pinged like crazy . Stopped in a parts store and saw this stuff . Pricier than others , but , I needed it . Put it in the tank and instantly , no more ping . I was pretty surprised . Tested it out several times since and always a positive result .

I don't use or recommend anything else .
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 01:25 AM   #7
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

"Additives for performance"....

Hemi. That will do it.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 04:45 AM   #8
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

I've heard good things about mopar CCC, but also heard it was hard to find.Did you get it at a dealer newfie? About the only real way I can see the words "performance" and "4.0" going together was if you drove the jeep to a stage play.
Unread 08-20-2013, 04:52 AM   #9
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

lucas fuel treatment
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 05:16 AM   #10
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Snake oil > seafoam.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 05:59 AM   #11
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralman View Post
I've heard good things about mopar CCC, but also heard it was hard to find.Did you get it at a dealer newfie? About the only real way I can see the words "performance" and "4.0" going together was if you drove the jeep to a stage play.

Got it from the dealer

Heard it was hard to find also but that was a while back . It's not discontinued .

Best performance add on you can get for the 4.0 is a 5 speed trans . Equals about 10-20 more RWHP or 5-10 % less loss from the crank to rear wheels .
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.