Adding a Towing Package? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Adding a Towing Package?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 09-01-2003, 11:05 PM   #16
jplush76

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitevette
How big of a boat?
I'm trying to find out what I can safely tow before I actually get the boat. What I'm thinking is a boat between 17-22 feet, around 3000-4000lbs as a safe estimate. Something like a bowrider, walkaround, or a small cuddy cabin.

jplush76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2003, 01:01 AM   #17
whitevette

Something that size you'll have the power for, but gotta be careful about your traction. Go any heavier than 4k and I would make damned sure that the ramp is in decent conditon, and you keep your tires dry especally if an open differential. Anything lighter than 3k and you should have no problems barring temporary moments of stupidity. On questionable ramps, make sure someone else is there who can hook up to you, and yank your *** out if at all possible. Bring a strap just for this.
'77 Corvette L-48
'74 Land Cruiser FJ40
whitevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2003, 09:28 AM   #18
jplush76

Whitevette,
thanks for the info. I had a 4cyl 4wd jeep wrangler and used to tow a 18' trihull boat. Sometimes on the ramp I'd be spinning wheels trying to get the boat out.

Do you think maybe I should bring 10' strips of grip material to lay under the car tires so they dont spin? The back tire has to go in the water sometimes.
jplush76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2003, 03:57 PM   #19
whitevette

Wouldn't hurt to have them, just in case.
'77 Corvette L-48
'74 Land Cruiser FJ40
whitevette is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.