Adding Remote Start to a WJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Adding Remote Start to a WJ

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Reply
Unread 06-26-2008, 03:49 PM   #1
FooK
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Tualatin, Oregon
Posts: 1,056
Adding Remote Start to a WJ

Okay, here goes...

I have a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L Quadradrive.

I want to add remote start to it. I'd like to do it as cheaply as possible, and I don't really care about gaining alarm features.

That said, I'd really rather not have two remotes to use, because I have my keyless entry too.

How should I go about it?

__________________
Jason Roy - Marketing Director at WP
Driver #1724 Team WP Jeepspeed
Co-Driver #36 ERS Rally Team
FooK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2008, 04:06 PM   #2
Windowsrookie
Registered User
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,822
I'd go with any made by Directed Electronics.

http://www.directed.com/Products/Security/Default.aspx

They are very difficult to install on your own though, requires splicing into factory wires.
__________________
2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.7L V8 Quadra-Drive
1987 Wrangler 4.2L
Windowsrookie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2008, 04:10 PM   #3
-Shoey-
Registered User
2003 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Harrisville, West Virginia
Posts: 1,675
A warning, mine had one at one point or the other, and someone removed it. However, they didn't remove all of it, or messed up when it was installed, because there is a wire from it that leads to the #3 injector, and somehow this shorted something or something (really not sure) but now I need a new PCM because of it.
__________________
2003 KJ Limited
USN Jeep Club #115
-Shoey- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2008, 04:31 PM   #4
FooK
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Tualatin, Oregon
Posts: 1,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windowsrookie View Post
They are very difficult to install on your own though, requires splicing into factory wires.
Installation is no issue. I have a friend that does that kinda junk all the time.
__________________
Jason Roy - Marketing Director at WP
Driver #1724 Team WP Jeepspeed
Co-Driver #36 ERS Rally Team
FooK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2008, 05:12 PM   #5
painted600rr
Registered User
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: maine
Posts: 277
wj catching on fire in 5. 4. 3. 2. 1
painted600rr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2008, 05:13 PM   #6
FooK
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Tualatin, Oregon
Posts: 1,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by painted600rr View Post
wj catching on fire in 5. 4. 3. 2. 1




Thanks for the useful post.
__________________
Jason Roy - Marketing Director at WP
Driver #1724 Team WP Jeepspeed
Co-Driver #36 ERS Rally Team
FooK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2008, 05:46 PM   #7
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler
 
gcjeeping's Avatar
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: -----Sacramento-----, USAF RETIRED 462X0
Posts: 3,541
I paid 60 something bucks for mine on ebay 7 years ago and its still working. It has 2 lcd 2way paging remote starts, glass tamper, 2 window kits, sonic something. I got the DEI key bypass (10 bucks ebay) and their alarm bypass (20 bucks ebay). With this setup I only have 1 remote that still activates all the originals functions and starts the jeep. It was easy to hook up except the wording for the DEI and remote start were worded a little different. I called the remote start hotline and they talked me through the 2 wires I was unsure about. Put it in on a sat, about 6 hours. A couple posts up the guy was talking about a wire to the injector. The kit I got had the option for current sensing or plug firing to detect engine run. Plug sensing requires you to hook a wire to an injector. I didnt do that part and it worked fine. I only had to splice into the start/acc wires under the dash and the break pedal switch. Other than that the alarm bypass hooked 1 wire up to the back of the computer test port by the driver left kick panel. Love my remote and has great range. Like I said it only uses the remote start to do all the original functions and the original remote still works too.

Good luck.

Also if you do a search on here and JU you will find several post on the subject.
__________________
__________________________________________________ _________

-GCJEEPING's build/mod thread-IT'S A GREEN THING...
gcjeeping is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2008, 05:54 PM   #8
FooK
Registered User
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Tualatin, Oregon
Posts: 1,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcjeeping View Post
I paid 60 something bucks for mine on ebay 7 years ago and its still working. It has 2 lcd 2way paging remote starts, glass tamper, 2 window kits, sonic something. I got the DEI key bypass (10 bucks ebay) and their alarm bypass (20 bucks ebay). With this setup I only have 1 remote that still activates all the originals functions and starts the jeep. It was easy to hook up except the wording for the DEI and remote start were worded a little different. I called the remote start hotline and they talked me through the 2 wires I was unsure about. Put it in on a sat, about 6 hours. A couple posts up the guy was talking about a wire to the injector. The kit I got had the option for current sensing or plug firing to detect engine run. Plug sensing requires you to hook a wire to an injector. I didnt do that part and it worked fine. I only had to splice into the start/acc wires under the dash and the break pedal switch. Other than that the alarm bypass hooked 1 wire up to the back of the computer test port by the driver left kick panel. Love my remote and has great range. Like I said it only uses the remote start to do all the original functions and the original remote still works too.

Good luck.

Also if you do a search on here and JU you will find several post on the subject.
Awesome do you have any links to examples of what you bought?
__________________
Jason Roy - Marketing Director at WP
Driver #1724 Team WP Jeepspeed
Co-Driver #36 ERS Rally Team
FooK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2008, 09:10 PM   #9
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler
 
gcjeeping's Avatar
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: -----Sacramento-----, USAF RETIRED 462X0
Posts: 3,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by FooK View Post
Awesome do you have any links to examples of what you bought?
Remote Starter. This is the closest one I can find to mine.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FM-2-...spagenameZWDVW

This is the key bypass. If you have two keys great, if you have one you still can make it work. I only have one. I got a plain blank cut and put the real chip key in the unit. After the jeep starts I put the copy key in and turn it 2 clicks (just before start). and step on the brake and everything is normal like the chipped key is in the ign.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-D...em200233367601

This is the data bus module
http://cgi.ebay.com/Directed-DEI-Jee...QQcmdZViewItem
__________________
__________________________________________________ _________

-GCJEEPING's build/mod thread-IT'S A GREEN THING...
gcjeeping is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2009, 06:36 PM   #10
JAC1502
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Lithia Springs, GA
Posts: 399
Do you know which ignition constant positive wire is on the 40amp fuse? Red or pink/black?
__________________
#1 1997 Jeep TJ HEMI, 6" lift springs, 2" body lift, semi long control arms front and rear, Adjustable front and rear track bars, Slip-Yoke elim, 8.8 locked, 10,000 winch, Tube bumpers and rocker guards, Light bar, Custom swing away tire carrier, CAI, Electric cooling fans, Custom exhaust, Mickey T 35*14.5 on 15*12 wheels #2 2004 Grand Cherokee SE 4.0L, header, full exhaust, CAI, Bored TB, Clarion 10, RC X series 4" + 1, teflon wheels 17s, roof rack, winch, etc.
JAC1502 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2009, 10:29 PM   #11
mosespaul
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Reynoldsburg
Posts: 33
Sorry for the late chime in......

Car Alarm, Car Stereo, Mobile Video, and Cruise Control Info for Installers for your wiring needs.

Stereo, Alarm, Remote Starter, Cruise Control, Navigation Wiring

DO NOT MINDLESSLY FOLLOW.(always double check)

This will help make testing the correct wires faster.


Quote:
Originally Posted by -Shoey- View Post
A warning, mine had one at one point or the other, and someone removed it. However, they didn't remove all of it, or messed up when it was installed, because there is a wire from it that leads to the #3 injector, and somehow this shorted something or something (really not sure) but now I need a new PCM because of it.
This was a tach wire ( some hook to tach some hook to injector to get a pulse to make sure the engine is running...called Tach mode.)

You will need a door lock module and follow the second link to get factory disarm wires location and re-arm wires as well (so you can use one remote)

Good luck
mosespaul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2009, 10:34 PM   #12
WiCkeDuDe
Web Wheeler
 
WiCkeDuDe's Avatar
2002 WJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Utah
Posts: 3,118
I bought two DEI alarms, I think they were both remote start - python 680xp and viper 791xv. I installed both at least 5 years ago with the passkey modules for the keys needed. Never had a problem with either.
WiCkeDuDe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.