Adding a digital vic? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Adding a digital vic?

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 10-18-2012, 01:10 PM   #16
errorcode3
1998 ZJ 

lol. i think in the 4 years i have owned it. the VIC has only told the truth once. Coolant level low..
other that that, it would make the worst significant other ever. Deceitful and nagging constantly.

Unread 10-18-2012, 03:20 PM   #17
FAlfani81
1993 ZJ 

I actually had a good run with mine. It worked for about 5 years NO JOKE!!! It would randomly yell at me about 4wd switch but it was rare when it did. so it didn't bother me. Plus the motor I had in my jeep at the time burnt so much oil it was great for letting me know I was actually low!

Then it started to really freak out all the time. I noticed if I punched it, I would get a week out of it not bothering me. Then one day it literally set itself on almost fire! The display went black and as I was driving it started to cook itself. The screen was full of bright red lines and smoke started to pour out of the dash. I pulled over, shut the Jeep off and jumped out. When the smoke cleared everything was fine and I never heard ::BEEP::BEEP::BEEP:: ::BEEP::BEEP::BEEP:: ever again!

It's still in its spot. Maybe one day when I'm bored I'll take it out and open it up to look at the carnage.
FAlfani81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 02:58 PM   #18
Yoda95
1995 ZJ 

I was thinking about putting one in because I like more digital lights and stuff...but the beeping made me pause. Now I don't think I want one because of that great point: it isn't actually useful! What does it tell you, really? Does it have a cool 4WD display when you shift the xfer case, or does it actually do anything? Does it actually speak to you like those old 80's Lasers?

I think I will get one of those overhead compass consoles instead.
Yoda95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2013, 05:28 AM   #19
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

Man,,,,all this hating over a digital display. To the OP early style vic's had two plugs and I'm not real familiar with the 94 but you will need a wiring diagram probaly in section 8W of the fsm. If the plugs arent in the 94 cut them out of one that does have it and follow the wiring paths there. Another advantage of the fsm is that it will show you if you need any wiring tie in points to existing plugs. You can then cut them out of the donor as well, release those pins/wire from the donor plug, solder your new wire on to it and run the circuit, plugging the pin into your existing connector. Anyone seen Korea lately? All this wiring talk made me realise I haven't seen him in awhile.
Unread 07-03-2013, 05:58 AM   #20
exmilitary
1998 ZJ 

It also tells me my coolent sensor is bad.
exmilitary is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2013, 07:46 AM   #21
leftfield6
Where are my damn keys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmilitary View Post
Yep. Even though it's not, of course.

What it's really good at is getting this conversation started:
  • Passenger "Why is that orange box flashing where the engine is in your little display?"
  • Me: " Because the display thinks I have a bad coolant sensor."
  • Passenger: "do you?"
  • Me "No"
  • Passenger: "How do you know?"
  • Me: "Because I tested it, actually I have two of them, and I tested them both"
  • Passenger: "so you're sure you know better than the computer?"
  • Me: "In this case, yes, I do. Look it's a known electrical gremlin, it's really fine, don't worry about it"
  • Passenger: "okay, if you say so." (passenger now looks at me as if I'm an obstinate know it all bastard, which of course I am)

So, if that sounds like fun to you, sure go get you a JY VIC and have at it my friend.

(former) 98 Grand Cherokee Laredo
77 CJ-5
75 CJ-5
leftfield6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2013, 10:22 AM   #22
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

My friends 98 5.9 limited isnt too annoying.
xcaliber81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2013, 11:31 AM   #23
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

kill it! kill it with fire!
Unread 07-03-2013, 12:04 PM   #24
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Mine still works. Not for long though. I plan on hitting it with a sledge hammer one day soon.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2013, 05:02 PM   #25
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

Grab a beer one weekend, when you have absolutely nothing else to do or bored out of your mind, and solder the board so it works right. Of course I know from experience that its much easier to b***h than do something. Ask my GF, she's a pro.
Unread 07-03-2013, 05:17 PM   #26
unabashedpraise
1998 ZJ 

Mine tells me washer/coolant level low, time/date, maintenance mileage, drive train info,and door openings. I've had bulbs go out, but it's never alerted me. It's this different for a 98? Am I missing a lot of other cool and annoying things?

Help: Rear left lock doesn't lock using power locks, but will unlock. Any ideas?

-Born once, die twice. Born twice, die once.
unabashedpraise is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2013, 06:29 PM   #27
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

LOM tels you if any brake related bulbs are out. Really to me that one thing makes it worth it. I paid a hellified ticket for a bulb out. Trooper that has a rep for no warnings.
Unread 07-04-2013, 01:55 PM   #28
just_urd
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmilitary
I think they came like that from the factory just to let you know it's working properly. Mine isn't doing it, I should rip mine apart and find out why...
just_urd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2013, 03:07 PM   #29
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/c...-fixed-175207/
Unread 07-12-2013, 11:16 AM   #30
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Ok so this 93 limited parts jeep I bought has the vic and it seems to work so what am I swaping over to make the vic fully work in my jeep? Battery coolant washer fluid and lom? What about the doors open and other things? I am gonna swap it over as well as the over head console.
xcaliber81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.