Adding a digital vic? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Adding a digital vic?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 10-17-2012, 07:59 PM   #1
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Adding a digital vic?

I've tried searching this and got no luck is this possible to do, i read something about a sensor ill have to add but im not sure how correct that was, anybody done this?

xcaliber81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2012, 08:12 PM   #2
Dyn0mitemat
1998 ZJ 

I believe I remember hearing that some of the wiring is there but you'll have to do some legwork figuring out whats missing and adding sensors and such back

You should be able to find one on here for cheap (or free) because quite a few people take them out
Unread 10-17-2012, 08:21 PM   #3
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

sweet, im good with electrical to some degree i heard that the laredo had that wire tucked behind the ac controls
Unread 10-17-2012, 08:28 PM   #4
cekmgreen
1998 ZJ 

my old 95 laredo had the wiring in it but the vic is junk i have had 3 limited sense then i have put new vics in and after a few months they are junk but i got them used unless you get an new one from dealer..... even with my discount i could see way better ways to spend that cash or hide it in the safe for the day the zj breaks down and needs parts.... lol
cekmgreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2012, 08:33 PM   #5
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

lots of things have been discontinued from the dealer that sounds like it would be one of them
Unread 10-17-2012, 09:31 PM   #6
cherox
2012 KK Liberty 

It probably won't be plug and play. At least on my 96, when I picked up a digital VIC, the connectors did not match. You need to get the wiring as well.

I was pretty disappointed as I like the idea of the digital VIC. Too much work for me though. I ended up finding the rare [at least in the Northeast] 2wd ZJ cubby and plopped that in there. So, no analog VIC, and no digital VIC.. Just an extra cubby!

Good luck if you do try to make it work.
cherox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2012, 09:54 PM   #7
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

did u get one from a 96
Unread 10-17-2012, 10:06 PM   #8
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

dont waste your time putting a VIC in, the novelty will quickly wear off after you hear the beeping it always makes.
dnuccio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2012, 11:40 PM   #9
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcaliber81 View Post
lots of things have been discontinued from the dealer that sounds like it would be one of them
Believe it or not the VIC is still available, even the early one from the 93-95. Downside is, list price is $1200, but online Mopar discounters can get that down to a bargain $850 or so. I think junkyards or eBay myself
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2012, 12:02 AM   #10
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR2 View Post
Believe it or not the VIC is still available, even the early one from the 93-95. Downside is, list price is $1200, but online Mopar discounters can get that down to a bargain $850 or so. I think junkyards or eBay myself
holy crap! hey, if anyone wants to buy mine, ill sell it for the bargain price of $500
dnuccio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2012, 11:24 AM   #11
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

It's not worth it, just put some gauges and switches there. The vic is silly.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2012, 12:47 PM   #12
OverlandZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherox View Post

I ended up finding the rare [at least in the Northeast] 2wd ZJ cubby and plopped that in there. So, no analog VIC, and no digital VIC.. Just an extra cubby!

Pic please...
OverlandZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2012, 01:00 PM   #13
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I seriously would have rather had a cubby than the vic taking up space. It's as useful as a football bat.
Unread 10-18-2012, 01:03 PM   #14
errorcode3
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
I seriously would have rather had a cubby than the vic taking up space. It's as useful as a football bat.
Exactly, that thing is always beeping, screaming and yelling at me. Now just to find time to do something about it.

And i happen to use my football bat all the time, works great at scaring the neighborhood hoodlums off my lawn..
Unread 10-18-2012, 01:06 PM   #15
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Do you really need a box to tell you that the door is open or washer fluid is low? Half the time it's telling a lie about rear lamp failure. It's a liar!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.