Added Curt roof rack (like all others) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Added Curt roof rack (like all others)

Rugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped OSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Building a Bumper?

Unread 09-20-2013, 08:35 PM   #1
lawsonej
At the bottom working up

1998 ZJ 

Added Curt roof rack (like all others)

Picked up this curt roof rack and through the big spare up on top. These brands and styles are all starting to look similar. Very happy with the fit and finish. I will enjoy having more space in the back to put stuff too. Im happy with it. $93.00 it seems pretty sturdy. i give it so far

rr5.jpg   rr1.jpg   rr4.jpg   rr6.jpg  
lawsonej is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 09:42 PM   #2
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

I like it. Also, your ZJ is the first one I've seen that can pull off the one piece headlights.

Speaking of spares on the roof rack, what the general consensus on that? Is it ok to do? I know on the WJ side of the forum some people don't think that's a very secure place for it.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2013, 08:29 AM   #3
riot1987
1997 ZJ 

Location: In your attic, with the squirrels and wrapping paper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
I like it. Also, your ZJ is the first one I've seen that can pull off the one piece headlights.

Speaking of spares on the roof rack, what the general consensus on that? Is it ok to do? I know on the WJ side of the forum some people don't think that's a very secure place for it.
It works. Its not ideal. Adds top weight and some say it kills mpgs a bit. I didnt like mine up top because its heavy and takes up all your rack space.

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2013, 10:21 AM   #4
sskilla

1995 ZJ 

I'm not against it, but I can't see myself lugging a muddy a$$ 33" up there if I get a flat lol.

But $93 bucks is a steal next to the $1000 for a rear bumper with a tire carrier. I say
'95 ZJ: 5.2 v8 / 249 > 242 > 231 Tcase swap / 46RH / 3.5" IRO + 1.5" pucks / IRO Adj Front Lower CA's / IRO Double Shear Adj Track Bar / 33" BFG KM2's / JKS Quicker Disco's / IRO rear end links / Kegger Mod / Super 44 Flowmaster / Novak Cable Shifter / Kevins Radiator Support / JKS Bar pin eliminators / Yukon Chromoly Rear Axles / IRO SS Brake Lines / Stillen cross-drilled rotors / Flowcooler water pump

It's got guts. Jeep guts. Jeep, the toughest four letter word on wheels. F@#% Yeah.

R.I.P. 2000 TJ
R.I.P. '95 YJ

sskilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2013, 10:53 AM   #5
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

make sure that tire is well secured up there. if you dont have the tire strapped down/mounted strong enough, and you were to get in an accident, that tire becomes a 80 pound missile
Unread 09-21-2013, 06:25 PM   #6
lawsonej
At the bottom working up

1998 ZJ 

Yea so far i like it. It does open up some space in the back of the zj for dry storage. I do plan on beefing up the strapping and stuff holding down the tire. i did some driving and checked for shifting. none yet but its not worth the risk in an accident.
My tires are only 31's and they werent too hard to put up there...im sure lugging the muddy 33 up there would be a chore lol. i still think it has a good amount of area to put stuff. You can buy the extension for this rack to...i think it adds like a foot in length.
Unread 09-21-2013, 07:37 PM   #7
chaZJones
1996 ZJ 

let us know about your mpg change too
Unread 09-21-2013, 09:48 PM   #8
jbsj33p
1993 ZJ 

Sorry to hijack your thread but I really like that paint job; how did you do it if you don't mind me asking? The paint on my jeep is disappearing more and more everyday and I figure I should get around to putting some back on it.
Unread 09-22-2013, 02:54 PM   #9
lawsonej
At the bottom working up

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsj33p View Post
Sorry to hijack your thread but I really like that paint job; how did you do it if you don't mind me asking? The paint on my jeep is disappearing more and more everyday and I figure I should get around to putting some back on it.
Appreciate the compliment. I actually just used the rattle cans. I started a few months ago and put on a few coats of plasti dip so i wouldnt have to worry about if i didnt like it or not, i could peel it off...Then i used the camo green color spray cans on top of the plasti dip. Then i made a decal to paint the freedom type star on the hood with a flex seal (did it so it had texture) and then i glossed the whole things with a few cans of clear coat gloss. It isnt perfect put i keep a can of plasti dip, green camo touch up paint and a gloss sealer to touch up in case something happens. Because it is all plastidip, i can still peel it off to original platinum color...just be a pain with the gloss on it...Im sure there may be better ways to paint it, alot of guys on here would probably know a better and more permanent methodology. i have to do one more coat of clear coat, as you can see, its a little blotchy....not noticeable when wet.

edit: btw make sure car is clean before each step. i had a sincere problem with suicidal bugs sticking to my paint.

and ill be sure to note all gas mpg changes when i drive it more often. Its no longer my dd so i wont notice a huge drop in mileage yet.
Unread 09-23-2013, 06:39 PM   #10
jbsj33p
1993 ZJ 

Thanks for the write up there. I ve been looking at options for painting my jeep because as much as its worth to me its not really worth having a professional paint it and then I would worry about scratching it up; so its between rattle can or roll on and either way it will look better than it does now. Olive drab or camo green is the color I want to go with because it doesn't seem like a real jeep without it haha.
Unread 09-23-2013, 07:36 PM   #11
lawsonej
At the bottom working up

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Thanks for the write up there. I ve been looking at options for painting my jeep because as much as its worth to me its not really worth having a professional paint it and then I would worry about scratching it up; so its between rattle can or roll on and either way it will look better than it does now. Olive drab or camo green is the color I want to go with because it doesn't seem like a real jeep without it haha.
my reasoning too bud.
Unread 09-23-2013, 08:39 PM   #12
Jake_A

Quote:
Here is krylon camo "deep forest green"
3 coats over top of the ugly *** factory dark red.

[/URL]

[/URL]

It was the base coat for this -

Word of advice, mask off all of the windows and lights, doesnt matter how careful you are, there will be over spray

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.