Accidentally dumped 5w-30 in the ZJ...Change? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Accidentally dumped 5w-30 in the ZJ...Change?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 05-04-2007, 12:07 AM   #16
gregs887
Up your butt Jobu

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasefingers
Yup me too. I use 5w-30 during the winter only and 10w-30 for the rest of the year.
Don't mean to hijack, but what would be the benefit of running 5w in the winter and 10w in the summer? Does the 10w not perform as well in colder temperatures?

gregs887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2007, 10:24 AM   #17
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Did the image from SJZ in post 5 answer that for you? It's a matter of viscosity (thickness or thinness depending on temp & other factors).

Generally, as temps get colder, liquids flow (or "peform" in an engine) less like water & more like syrup. The same applies to hot weather, but liquids flow more like water than syrup.

So... oil is designed to be used in "anticipated" temps with different ratings like 10w or 5w.

If that's clear enough to understand , the graph will help you from there...
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2007, 06:44 PM   #18
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

I run which ever is on sale...
Unread 05-05-2007, 07:43 AM   #19
cmonson

I personally run 5-30 in the colder months in the winter.

I run 10-30 all summer.

You will be fine in NJ with 5-30 though.
cmonson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2013, 03:57 PM   #20
DRUMatthias
1996 ZJ 

Thankyas for this thread. Was just about to pose the same question, cuz despite changing radiators, water pumps, Tstats, belts, brakes & other general multi-hour maintenance items on the ol'Blackbird, I leave my oil changes to coupons at Firestone or on rare occasion JLube. Wife had to take it in, as I had lost enough oil that it was barely on the dipstick (and pressure gauge is bouncing a bit...not a good sign I don't believe...another matter at 210K clocked over this week) & they put in 5w30 instead of the standard 10w. It was nice peace of mind to see that pic from the '98 manual about temps as a high temp between now & March is max at about 60*, so I guess they did the right thing, even though I've never had 5w ran in my ZJ before.

Ah well, no need to waste time goin back there or lose a min. of sleep over it now that I know it was kewl kool coolio coolbeans. Cool. Like winter :P
DRUMatthias is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2013, 04:23 PM   #21
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRUMatthias View Post
Thankyas for this thread. Was just about to pose the same question, cuz despite changing radiators, water pumps, Tstats, belts, brakes & other general multi-hour maintenance items on the ol'Blackbird, I leave my oil changes to coupons at Firestone or on rare occasion JLube. Wife had to take it in, as I had lost enough oil that it was barely on the dipstick (and pressure gauge is bouncing a bit...not a good sign I don't believe...another matter at 210K clocked over this week) & they put in 5w30 instead of the standard 10w. It was nice peace of mind to see that pic from the '98 manual about temps as a high temp between now & March is max at about 60*, so I guess they did the right thing, even though I've never had 5w ran in my ZJ before.

Ah well, no need to waste time goin back there or lose a min. of sleep over it now that I know it was kewl kool coolio coolbeans. Cool. Like winter :P
let me get this straight...you can change brakes, radiators, thermostats, etc, but you dont change your own oil?
Unread 11-07-2013, 04:45 PM   #22
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I have been using 5w-30 all year around. It's totes kewl.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2013, 05:29 PM   #23
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

Back in the day,lol, they sold reclaimed oil in my town in these pour spout glass jars. I don't think you knew what weight it was. It wasn't going to stay in the beaters long enough to matter.

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2013, 07:55 AM   #24
Snowfan2
1998 ZJ 

Thin oil carries heat away from bearings and friction surfaces faster than thick oil. 5-30 might be the best thing to run. I don't go by the owners manual chart viscosity, I go by my climate, use, condition of engine etc.
Snowfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2013, 08:16 AM   #25
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I use the 5w 30 because it's thinner at start up and gets the oil moving around faster in colder weather. It runs the same thickness as 10w 30 after it heats up.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2013, 09:40 AM   #26
4Slow9erHybrid
1997 ZJ 

I run Castrol 0W30 all year round. At operating temperature (210 F) its viscosity is on the higher end of the 30 weight range, at low temperatures it doesn't get as thick as either the 5W30 or 10W30 oils. Only disadvantage is its higher price.
1997 JGC Laredo 4.0 4x4 99900mi * 0W30 German Castrol since 75k * 225/75/R15 Firestone Destination AT on Ravine rims * winter 235/75/R15 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 * UC suspension * Monroe Reflex Monotube shocks * factory skids * KOR steering brace * rear Addco SB * Magnaflow cat and cat back system * complete 5.9 interior
4Slow9erHybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2013, 09:40 AM   #27
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

I think im running 5-20 cause it was free kewl hey lol. Ill probably be running 5-30 once I have to pay for it which will be soon.
Unread 11-08-2013, 11:43 AM   #28
ROFLwaffles
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRUMatthias View Post

So wait, you resurrected a 6 1/2 year old thread just to say "thank you"?
ROFLwaffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2013, 12:22 PM   #29
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
I have been using 5w-30 all year around. It's totes kewl.
Same here, I've been using 5W-30 full synth. all year long on my ZJ and used it mostly on both XJs. It usually doesn't get much hotter than ~80-85*F during summer, usually averaging in mid-to high 70s and during winter it's anything between -25 up to around 50*F. No problems at all with oil pressure.

I tried running 10W-30 and 10W-40 on the XJ, didn't really see any difference in oil pressures. That was during summer months though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROFLwaffles View Post
Pretty much looks like that's exactly what he did

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2013, 04:38 PM   #30
DRUMatthias
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnuccio View Post
let me get this straight...you can change brakes, radiators, thermostats, etc, but you dont change your own oil?
You got it straight. I choose to let someone else do it. Cheaper to pay for it to get done than the cost of materials alone for me here. Told ya it's weird but it's how I've rolled for years. Don't think I've changed oil myself in about 7 years or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROFLwaffles View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo_90xj View Post
Pretty much looks like that's exactly what he did
Yup! Got that right too. No need to get cursed for starting a new thread that was already answered & my Thank you reply generated a lot more responses that ultimately kept me from running back to Jiffy Lube & cussin em out for puttin the wrong oil in there, when they seemed to legitimately be going by outside temps as the reason for the 5w adjustment, so that was kewl too! Strength in #s
DRUMatthias is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.