Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

AC refilling...

2K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  coralman 
#1 ·
i replaced my high pressure line and my condenser. i used a/c pro and recharged it. its in the green (borderline red). i left the car running on full blast for almost an hour and its still blowing warm air. did i need to refill it with something else or is the a/c pro all i need? please h

#4 ·
Best bet after changing parts is to vacuum out the system before you charge.

But see how it does driving, not sitting, you need air flow to really get things cooling. Also did you use Jus one can? If its low, it will show when cooling.

#6 ·
Yes; on Jeep, Do Pull a Vacuum
on my old ranger, i replaced a line, charged it up, while sitting / not running, it took a charge and ran cold air.
BUT the Jeep will not accept much coolant unless it has vacuum.
go to your regular repair guy, best bet for a cheap price, and all you need is the vacuum, but it is a good idea to have them flush it while your at it. :)

#11 ·
That's a serious issue.
I am assuming the compressor is cycling on and off?
If not....it's too low on r134 or maybe it's a goner. Check the fuses first.

Or....if it isnt cooling at all and you know it "took" the r134 you put in it....you either have a really bad leak, or you put too much r134 in it, causing excessive head pressure....and if that's the case....let a little out and try it. ( not the scientific method, I know...but it works)

#10 ·
Your best bet is to take it to an a/c shop and have them pull a vacuum (they'll also be able to determine if there's a leak at this point) and re-charge the system for you, unless you want to buy a pump. Also, MOST places will recommend that any time the a/c system is open, you replace the receiver/dryer and orifice tubes if it has any.

#12 ·
I know I should have vacuumed mine but I'm cheap and it's hot. I had a hose repaired and just filled it with r34a and mine is blowing ice cold after 7 months without the hose connected.

Check the relays if the clutch isn't cycling. Maybe switch one around with another. My clutch engaged shortly after I started recharging it.

#13 ·
Careful Old Frog, the walls have eyes,lol.If the OP didn't pull a vacumn then he is pi**ing in the wind.He now has a system with moisture and non condensables. He legally,lol, should have the refrigerant reclaimed, a vacumn pulled to test for leaks, the accumulator/dryer, and if I had replaced the condensor the orifice tube as well as 97zj said. The catch 22 in all this is if he has a leak{or heaven forbid the evaporator is leaking} a shop may not just "recharge" until he has the leak fixed.

So on a do it your self level, rent, buy a cheap HF vacumn pump, pull a fairly long vacumn making sure it will pull down 29.xx something or other inches and go from there. Recharge and see if the boat floats. If not take it to a shop, spend the fortune, and get it fixed right. Eventually, if the evap coil is leaking it will puke enough oil to take out the compressor anyways.

#15 ·
It was the entire switched line from the compressor to the condenser. The rubber hose started leaking at the ferule to the hard line when I moved it to fix the plenum. I blocked off the openings and had a shop fix it for 50 bucks. I had my fingers crossed the whole time. :shhh:

#17 ·
Well let mr redneck step in
Find the plug that plugs into the accumulator . Put a 4 inch piece of 16 - or plus wire into it to short circuit it. This's will keep the compressor on . Turn AC on high hook upload the AC Pro . Put 2 cans in it . Drive it like you stole it . If not cold take it to shop .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.