ac question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ac question

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 03-31-2013, 10:48 AM   #1
snappyjoe
1998 ZJ 

ac question

hello all. been a while since i posted on here. have a quick ac question. so i bought some 134 to test to see if my ac would work. hoping it was low on freon. well as i was adding a little at a time, one of the coupler line blew off. as i looked further i noticed that it did not have a secondary clip. so, my question is, can i do this myself? seems the line is bolted on and its the higher pressure switch line. or can i connect the line and put the secondary clip on and refill again? lmk. thanks

snappyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 10:52 AM   #2
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

You will need to have the system vacuumed down now that it's been exposed to air. Depending on how long the system has been open to the air, you might have to replace the dryer, too.

Don't forget the PAG oil.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 12:51 PM   #3
classicmetalman

Those DIY cans in stores I've found to be a bigger pain than it's worth. Without the "proper" gauges ( and yes I have n use ), better to take in to shop n let them do properly. An overfilled system is just as bad.....
I know it's an expense, but it"ll save ya a headache in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphydajeep View Post
I say you should still hit something just to let it know you mean business, or shake a hammer at it in a menacing fashion
classicmetalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 01:07 PM   #4
SDHarleydad

1994 ZJ 

like Mickey D said.... it has to be evacuated. But I have to say that I did have luck with the refill can. Mine was low when I bought it last year. It has been great for $34.
Unread 03-31-2013, 01:36 PM   #5
snappyjoe
1998 ZJ 

I gotcha. Well my next question would be where would I be able to find the secondary clip for the line? Went to my parts store and they couldn't locate one.
Unread 03-31-2013, 08:12 PM   #6
papitt
1995 ZJ 

..I'd say a trip by the wrecking yard should be in order. But also you may need a trip to the dealer since that's is such a speciality item .
..Yes your supposed to put a vacuum on them. But how many have just had 2 cans dropped into them & made another year. I'd rather spend 30 or 40 bucks and see if it'll work because when your do break down & take it to the shop in town It'll be $400.00 so the 30 you tried want hunt much.
papitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 08:18 PM   #7
snappyjoe
1998 ZJ 

Yeah thats what I was thinking as well. Bought a can for 14 and not even used a 1/4 of it.
But yeah, junkyard here I come. Lol. Thanks all.
Unread 03-31-2013, 09:37 PM   #8
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Even w/o the retaining clip the quick-disconnect coupling should have held the 2 lines together if working correctly. You best look in the end of the larger disconnect (female end) to see if the round spring for holding the line in is missing or broken. And don't put the connector together w/o 2 new green AC o-rings with a little lube (vasoline or dielectric grease) on them or you'll be sorry.

As mentioned before the correct method is now to evac the system. Next time you go to fill it you can get a loaner set of AC manifold gauges from Autozone and/or Advance. You have to pay full price ($100-$150), can keep for 90 days, and you receive a full refund on return. But if you evacuate the whole system you can get the spec on how much it holds and just put that exact amount in it from the small cans.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2013, 06:35 AM   #9
snappyjoe
1998 ZJ 

Thanks again for the info. And as I was reading the diagram yesterday, I saw the spring inside the male end.
Unread 04-01-2013, 07:36 AM   #10
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

YW and I was kind of surprised when I had one of those quick-disconnect round springs fly out when disconnecting the lines on my 96. Had to replace the evaporator, along with filter/drier, on mine and wife's 2000 TJ which are not fun jobs. I also made the big investment for a new compressor from NAPA on my 96 and the front seal started leaking at 1 year 2 months with a 1-year warranty. Neither the local NAPA or manufacturer would give me any type of credit on a replacement so I have to recharge the system a couple times a year. Grrr...

I should have mentioned in borrowing a loaner AC manifold gauge set from one of the auto parts stores one of the problems is you can't connect a small can of 134a to it. So I had to keep disconnecting the gauge line, fill with a small can, and then reconnect the gauge set to get the pressure just right for ambient temps which was kind of a pain. Believe you can buy a brass valve/adapter for the top of the small cans to connect to the manifold set for about $10-$15 but never made that investment.

Unread 04-01-2013, 10:05 AM   #11
snappyjoe
1998 ZJ 

I gotcha. Well let me ask everyone this. Is the spring is missing, can I just get another spring and then put the clip on?
Unread 04-01-2013, 11:02 AM   #12
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

If going to the jy for the clip you could probably also remove the spring from the quick-disconnect with a real sharp tool/small screwdriver and use it. Or measure the dia of the spring opening on the disconnect and see if the parts store can match it up. Some AC o-ring kits like the below one also have the springs included.

http://www.jeepair.com/air-condition...g-kit-1287.php

Unread 04-01-2013, 11:16 AM   #13
snappyjoe
1998 ZJ 

Hell, may just buy that kit instead of going to the jy. Thanks uni.
Unread 04-01-2013, 11:39 AM   #14
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Some of the auto parts places around here are starting to phase out their rental gauges and vacuum pumps. None of the Autozones have either and the other stores (around here at least) just give you a dumb look if you ask about loaner tools. I was tired of using my dad's old R-12/22 gauges with a rigged adapter on R-134 systems so I bought a new gauge set and can tap at Harbor Freight, already had a vacuum pump. Proper tools make AC work so easy.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2013, 11:51 AM   #15
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

YW snappyjoe and the only problem I see w/that kit is there is no retaining clip for the quick-disconnects included with it. I wouldn't doubt that company may carry them if you give them a call.

In searching the 94-96 parts list they are just listed as "Clip" and saw one OE 4596152 (which it takes 3) and one OE 4596153 calling for just 1. I believe this last one is really large which goes on the larger of the 2 lines at the firewall going into the AC evaporator.

So I would assume this is what you are looking for but I'm not sure this is the correct one for your 98? As can be seen it does have the same part # as the 3 mentioned before.

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/a-c-qui...p-4596152.html

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.