AC problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > AC problem

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 07-06-2011, 07:07 PM   #1
Darman
1995 ZJ 

AC problem

So ive owned my 95 ZJ V8 for 7 months now and the AC has never worked while ive owned it. The blend door motor is broken so i have to adjust it by hand between hot air and not hot and my vent door motor is also broken so i have to move it by hand between vents and defrost/feet.
i went off roading the other day and the bugs were just killer which prompted me to try and fix my AC. i have no idea where to start other then from what ive read on here. i started up my jeep and turned the AC on and got out and looked. the serpentine belt spins but the center of the AC condensor doesnt. i can spin it by hand but it doesnt turn on itself.
i have a haynes manual but it just refers me to a heat and AC haynes that i dont have.
No idea where to go from here. any help appreciated.

Darman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2011, 08:11 PM   #2
vonericsen
1995 ZJ 

The compressor will only turn on if there is enough pressure in the system.
You could try recharging it yourself, but you will have to look for leaks in the system to see if it has a leak.
Thats what I started with and I have fixed it now.

Moss Green 95 5.2l zj- 3in lift (2" BB + Upcountry coils), 255 75 R17 BFG M/T on JK Moabs, Durango Airhat, Mopar ECU, Mopar Tire Carrier
vonericsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2011, 10:21 PM   #3
Darman
1995 ZJ 

where do you charge the system from? how do you know when its charged enough? how do you keep the vacuum in it when charging?
Unread 07-06-2011, 11:20 PM   #4
Blwn89gt
1998 ZJ 

if im not mistaken if there is no gas in the system the compressor wont spin, i think its a safety feature. I had to just replace my evaporator because my system was leaking from there. My father had checked to see if my system holds vaccum and it didnt. As soon as i got my dash all apart and pulled out the box, the old evap core was drenched from leaking. I replaced both the evap core and heater core. All in all the job wasn't really that bad but just very detail oriented. never realized how many electrical connectors have to come un-done lol
Blwn89gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2011, 11:21 PM   #5
Blwn89gt
1998 ZJ 

Also you need a set of AC gauges to charge the system, theres 2 ports the gauges hook up to ( hi and low pressure) If your not familiar with it i suggest having someone who is do it because you can break stuff fast lol
Blwn89gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2011, 11:58 PM   #6
vonericsen
1995 ZJ 

If you want to make sure it holds a vacuum before charging, you have to go to a shop.
I didn't do that last summer, just charged it...it worked for a little while and helped me find my leak.
After replacing parts I went to a shop, had them pull a vacuum and then charge it.
You charge it on the low pressure line which is on the metal line at the top of the engine bay on the passenger side. Little black cap over the port.

Moss Green 95 5.2l zj- 3in lift (2" BB + Upcountry coils), 255 75 R17 BFG M/T on JK Moabs, Durango Airhat, Mopar ECU, Mopar Tire Carrier
vonericsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2011, 05:18 PM   #7
Darman
1995 ZJ 

so i should look for a little black cap on a metal line on top of the engine that has a L on it? do i just unscrew the black cap and theres a valve or something i can charge the system through?
Unread 07-10-2011, 05:27 PM   #8
Corrupt
1998 ZJ 

If you've never done any charging of your A/C system before and want it to work correctly. You can overcharge a system which will mess up your compressor and that alone can turn costly. Your best bet is to take it to someone and have them go through the whole system. You can go through numerous bottles of R-134a if you just charge it and don't fix a leak. Fix it right the first time and save money. Also you may be able to go to the "stealership" or your local junkyard and get the actuator motors that open and close the doors. Might as well fix everything.

***RIP Ratmonkey!!***
Corrupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2011, 05:32 PM   #9
gcroswell
2000 TJ Wrangler 

To test the compressor you can take off the wire on the pressure switch which will be on the accumulator, just put a paper clip between the two terminals while the vehicle is running with the ac in the on position, the compressor should spin at this point unplug the paper clip as you dont want to run it like that long at all! Sometimes it just needs topped off which can be accomplished by getting a can of 134a from the local parts store however if it takes more than a can you better have it checked by someone with gages and a vacum.
gcroswell is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.