AC to OBA Conversion... PRESSURE SWITCH - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > AC to OBA Conversion... PRESSURE SWITCH

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 07-23-2013, 12:14 AM   #16
congerz83
1996 ZJ 

Why do I get the feeling I'm completely wrong and the oiler goes on the inlet and the separator goes on the discharge hose?

congerz83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2013, 12:23 AM   #17
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by framanda View Post
3/8 is plenty big. Most all automotive mechanics shops run 3/8 air hose. The only place I have seen 1/2 air hose was in heavy equipment shops running huge impact guns
I am just relaying my experience. The 3/8" line restricted the volume of air to the point that a tire inflator could exceed the air handling capability of the integrated lines. Forget using an air impact. It would get two impacts then get starved for air.

I realize your fittings have smaller openings and orifices than a 1/2" hose. I understand that the hose you plug in is only 3/8". I am not a physics professor. I have no idea why it didn't work. All I know is it didn't.

Especially the lines from the compressor to the tank. If you're charging the tank while driving, let me know how your hearing is afterwards. I made that mistake. The high pitched SCREAM of the air being forced through that tiny (in comparison) air hose is deafening. The 3/8" line would actually restrict the air flow to the point that the pressure switch would chatter on and off.

I moved my pressure switch to the tank end of the line. Bad idea. I had two pressure gauges on my system. One in the dash that read at the output of the compressor, the other on the tank itself. Once I moved the pressure switch to the tank I broke my 150PSI gauge that was at the output of the compressor. Burst the internals. I estimate from the damage to the gauge I spiked the pressure to somewhere around 300PSI as immediately after the gauge blew up I burst a 250PSI line that ran right under my arse (I ran the line to the tank along the "frame rail" on my XJ.

That was a short trip as I had to turn around and go change my shorts.

That Sanden compressor could fill my twin 5 gallon tanks from dead empty to 120PSI in less than 30 seconds if I picked the engine off idle at all. If I was driving and could handle the scream, it would fill them up in around 10 seconds. Most people have absolutely no idea just how much air that compressor will move. There is no electrically powered compressor that can even come close. Electrical compressors are equivalent to kids tricycle. These A/C compressors are a drag race motorcycle. There's that much difference. I think the best Campbell Hausfield can do on a 45 gallon twin cylinder 220V compressor is about 12 or 15 CFM. I do believe the R134a Sanden compressor is quite capable of forcing out something like 100 CFM. And at MUCH higher pressures. Think about it - R134a standard high side pressures vary between 275 and 400 PSI.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2013, 03:14 AM   #18
framanda
1997 ZJ 

Filter, oiler, compressor, then separator.
framanda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2013, 03:34 AM   #19
framanda
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_D View Post
I am just relaying my experience. The 3/8" line restricted the volume of air to the point that a tire inflator could exceed the air handling capability of the integrated lines. Forget using an air impact. It would get two impacts then get starved for air.

I realize your fittings have smaller openings and orifices than a 1/2" hose. I understand that the hose you plug in is only 3/8". I am not a physics professor. I have no idea why it didn't work. All I know is it didn't.

Especially the lines from the compressor to the tank. If you're charging the tank while driving, let me know how your hearing is afterwards. I made that mistake. The high pitched SCREAM of the air being forced through that tiny (in comparison) air hose is deafening. The 3/8" line would actually restrict the air flow to the point that the pressure switch would chatter on and off.

I moved my pressure switch to the tank end of the line. Bad idea. I had two pressure gauges on my system. One in the dash that read at the output of the compressor, the other on the tank itself. Once I moved the pressure switch to the tank I broke my 150PSI gauge that was at the output of the compressor. Burst the internals. I estimate from the damage to the gauge I spiked the pressure to somewhere around 300PSI as immediately after the gauge blew up I burst a 250PSI line that ran right under my arse (I ran the line to the tank along the "frame rail" on my XJ.

That was a short trip as I had to turn around and go change my shorts.

That Sanden compressor could fill my twin 5 gallon tanks from dead empty to 120PSI in less than 30 seconds if I picked the engine off idle at all. If I was driving and could handle the scream, it would fill them up in around 10 seconds. Most people have absolutely no idea just how much air that compressor will move. There is no electrically powered compressor that can even come close. Electrical compressors are equivalent to kids tricycle. These A/C compressors are a drag race motorcycle. There's that much difference. I think the best Campbell Hausfield can do on a 45 gallon twin cylinder 220V compressor is about 12 or 15 CFM. I do believe the R134a Sanden compressor is quite capable of forcing out something like 100 CFM. And at MUCH higher pressures. Think about it - R134a standard high side pressures vary between 275 and 400 PSI.
Weird I run a York 210 comp and they put out some serious cfm as well I have had no problem running 3/8 line from the comp to the tank (tank is mounted inside rear cargo area)I only flip my switch on it idle, all I here is a quick whoose of air then I can't here the tank filling at all. I just watch my in cab gauge gain pressures takes my 2.5 gallon tank just under a minute to fill at idle. I don't know about off idle but I know at like 2500 rpm this thing can move some serious air. I posted a link to my build thread earlier in this thread you can see my set up on pg 4. Also I have ran a 1/2 inch impact of my set up. It was plenty sufficent for any trail repair.
Edit I did have a problem running my in cab gauge of the manifold right near the comp the needle would shake terribly while filling the tank i had to move the pressure line to the tank then all was well.
framanda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2013, 06:20 PM   #20
congerz83
1996 ZJ 

Should I put an in-line fuse anywhere in this setup?
Unread 07-23-2013, 06:31 PM   #21
congerz83
1996 ZJ 

Has anyone done a detailed write-up of the WIRING? Where can I tap power to the Delphi?
Unread 07-23-2013, 08:28 PM   #22
congerz83
1996 ZJ 

Two more quick questions...

Can I use the A/C button to turn the compressor on and off?

And do I need to preload the compressor with the tool oil?
Unread 01-15-2014, 10:55 AM   #23
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyn0mitemat View Post
My setup works fine for everything. Put an inline filter after the compressor and it's completely fine. Powering my zip lockers just fine. Got about $75 bucks in mine and it fills my 35s up just as fast as my 2 stage home compressor
So why wouldn't you be able to fill tanks?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.