AC making noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > AC making noise

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 10-23-2003, 10:35 AM   #1
pygocentrus

AC making noise

when i turn on the AC, it makes a funny noise,espcially if i close the vents. the fan is working too hard in my opinion. what can i do?

[color=darkgray]mods:[/color][color=gray] 3 chamber magnaflow[/color]

[color=darkgray]upcoming mods: [/color][color=gray] throttle body, intake, and headers, 3" lift, tires, and system [i](if I can save enough $)[/i][/color]
pygocentrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2003, 09:59 AM   #2
pygocentrus

anyone got a clue about this?

[color=darkgray]upcoming mods: [/color][color=gray] throttle body, intake, and headers, 3" lift, tires, and system [i](if I can save enough $)[/i][/color]
Unread 10-28-2003, 10:01 AM   #3
ccyoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by pygocentrus
anyone got a clue about this?
I haven't got a clue, but sometimes my A.C. sounds like its pulsating, like it runs faster, then slower, then faster again.
ccyoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2003, 10:52 AM   #4
Rooster77

I have a 2000 GC limited that I got only a month ago, I had the dealer replace the AC compressor because it was noisy. The noise was easier heard in the cabin versus the engine compartment. Try listening carefully to the compressor itself, if you can get like a broom handle or something put one end on the compressor and the other to your ear it should magnify the "grinding" sound. When I first heard it in the cabin, I thought it was axle noise or something until I realized that it went away when I turned the A/C off. Now to make matters worse, just a week ago, listening carefully to the engine again and looking at the new compressor I realized that the compressor was always engaged and not cycling off and on like it should. A trip to the dealer and a $33 dollar cycle switch that is located on top of the receiver-drier had the compressor cycling off and on like it should. SO I am convinced that the defective AC cycle switch is what burnt out my previous compressor and had I not caught the problem I likely would of had to put another compressor in the thing in a year or so cause it was simply working the compressor way to hard likely burning the bearings right out of the thing. That was my experience anyway may be worth a quick check in your case!
Rooster77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2003, 11:39 AM   #5
pygocentrus

thanks for that rooster

so i should have my AC compressor checked. the thing is, when i turn on my AC, it gets louder as i turn it stronger and colder. also when i close the vents, it sounds nasty and loud.

Unread 10-28-2003, 01:16 PM   #6
iroc22

So it gets louder when you turn the fan setting higher?
iroc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2003, 01:42 PM   #7
pygocentrus

yeah

im thinking it has to do with the fan, thats what it sounds like

Unread 10-28-2003, 03:45 PM   #8
iroc22

Yeah sometimes electrical devices like motors will whine or make unusual noises before they are about to fail.
Unread 10-28-2003, 04:13 PM   #9
pygocentrus

i havent a slightest clue on what to fix

Unread 10-29-2003, 12:21 AM   #10
iroc22

Well check out your blower motor first anyway...
Unread 08-16-2011, 05:05 PM   #11
jseligman02
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster77 View Post
I have a 2000 GC limited that I got only a month ago, I had the dealer replace the AC compressor because it was noisy. The noise was easier heard in the cabin versus the engine compartment. Try listening carefully to the compressor itself, if you can get like a broom handle or something put one end on the compressor and the other to your ear it should magnify the "grinding" sound. When I first heard it in the cabin, I thought it was axle noise or something until I realized that it went away when I turned the A/C off. Now to make matters worse, just a week ago, listening carefully to the engine again and looking at the new compressor I realized that the compressor was always engaged and not cycling off and on like it should. A trip to the dealer and a $33 dollar cycle switch that is located on top of the receiver-drier had the compressor cycling off and on like it should. SO I am convinced that the defective AC cycle switch is what burnt out my previous compressor and had I not caught the problem I likely would of had to put another compressor in the thing in a year or so cause it was simply working the compressor way to hard likely burning the bearings right out of the thing. That was my experience anyway may be worth a quick check in your case!
Ive heard that switch referred to as the pressure switch also. Does that cause the a/c to cycle when it is on? Or I guess Im asking, when is the a/c suppose to cycle????
jseligman02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.