AC leak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > AC leak

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Artec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!

Unread 06-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #1
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

AC leak

tried recharging the system the other day. well it leaked out in minutes literally. when i turn off the jeep i can hear it hissing out; its coming from the front of the jeep (not evaporator inside the cab) on the front passengers side. gonna grab a black light tonight and see if i can see any residue from the two cans of dye i put in last weekend. i'm guessin its the condensor though.

question is for a leak that big, it worth putting that stop leak crap in and a few more bottles to recharge it?

i'm tempted to replace the condensor, but i'm even more tempted to set up OBA

05' WK Hemi limited ~ family hauler

RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2012, 03:51 PM   #2
SJZ
Victim of Hope & Change

1998 ZJ 

Location: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . A shining city upon a hill
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyZJ View Post
tried recharging the system the other day. well it leaked out in minutes literally. when i turn off the jeep i can hear it hissing out; its coming from the front of the jeep (not evaporator inside the cab) on the front passengers side. gonna grab a black light tonight and see if i can see any residue from the two cans of dye i put in last weekend. i'm guessin its the condensor though.

question is for a leak that big, it worth putting that stop leak crap in and a few more bottles to recharge it?

i'm tempted to replace the condensor, but i'm even more tempted to set up OBA
It sounds like you answered your own question. You want the OBA!.
I wouldn't screw around with leak stop, especially if the leak is so great you can hear it. A condenser is relatively easy to change. Of course you will need to evacuate, add the proper amount of oil, and recharge.
'98 ZJ Laredo 5.2 Selec-Trac (249 to 242 swap)
'05 KJ Limited 3.7 Selec-Trac
'94 ZJ Limited 5.2 Q-Trac- sold, after 17 years
'67 International Harvester Scout 800; 345ci V8,T18 4spd, Dana 20 TC
'06 Chrysler 300C SRT8 6.1L
SJZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2012, 04:28 PM   #3
vonericsen
1995 ZJ 

I had a much smaller leak than that and stop leak didn't help it. It would be money down the drain trying it.
Fix it by replacing leaking parts, or OBA.

Moss Green 95 5.2l zj- 3in lift (2" BB + Upcountry coils), 255 75 R17 BFG M/T on JK Moabs, Durango Airhat, Mopar ECU, Mopar Tire Carrier
vonericsen is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.