post #1 of Old 06-05-2012, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
JohnnyZJ
2007 JK Wrangler 

AC leak

tried recharging the system the other day. well it leaked out in minutes literally. when i turn off the jeep i can hear it hissing out; its coming from the front of the jeep (not evaporator inside the cab) on the front passengers side. gonna grab a black light tonight and see if i can see any residue from the two cans of dye i put in last weekend. i'm guessin its the condensor though.

question is for a leak that big, it worth putting that stop leak crap in and a few more bottles to recharge it?

i'm tempted to replace the condensor, but i'm even more tempted to set up OBA

07' JKUR rollin on 35s
post #2 of Old 06-05-2012, 03:51 PM
SJZ
Victim of Hope & Change

1998 ZJ 

Location: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . A shining city upon a hill
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyZJ View Post
tried recharging the system the other day. well it leaked out in minutes literally. when i turn off the jeep i can hear it hissing out; its coming from the front of the jeep (not evaporator inside the cab) on the front passengers side. gonna grab a black light tonight and see if i can see any residue from the two cans of dye i put in last weekend. i'm guessin its the condensor though.

question is for a leak that big, it worth putting that stop leak crap in and a few more bottles to recharge it?

i'm tempted to replace the condensor, but i'm even more tempted to set up OBA
It sounds like you answered your own question. You want the OBA!.
I wouldn't screw around with leak stop, especially if the leak is so great you can hear it. A condenser is relatively easy to change. Of course you will need to evacuate, add the proper amount of oil, and recharge.

-Steve
"Those who hammer their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not." -Thomas Jefferson
'67 International Harvester Scout 800; 345ci V8,T18 4spd, Dana 20 TC
'06 Chrysler 300C SRT8 6.1L
post #3 of Old 06-05-2012, 04:28 PM
vonericsen
1995 ZJ 

I had a much smaller leak than that and stop leak didn't help it. It would be money down the drain trying it.
Fix it by replacing leaking parts, or OBA.

Moss Green 95 5.2l ZJ- 5.5" IRO lift, 255 75 R17 BFG M/T on JK Moabs, Mopar ECU, Mopar Tire Carrier