AC issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > AC issues

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 08-25-2012, 10:40 PM   #1
Allstarmike2k5

AC issues

I checked and found that my jeep is full of freon, around 50 psi, the clutch however doesn't want to engage. If I take a hammer and give it a light tap the clutch engages and blows cold air, as soon as I turn the AC off and back on the clutch doesn't engage again, is there a way to tighthen the clutch since the tap gets it to engage? Or is there another fix other than replacing the whole unit?

Allstarmike2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2012, 08:44 AM   #2
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

AFAIK the only adjustment is with the shims that set the air gap. If your problem is a weak coil not being able to generate the necessary magnetism to engage the clutch, then removing shims to reduce the air gap might help the clutch engage... or it might do nothing.

TBH, if you're going as far as to get the pulley/clutch assembly off the compressor (which is what you'd have to do to fool with the shims), you might as well replace it with a brand-new one. JeepAir sells complete new assemblies - that's clutch, coil, pulley, bearing, shims and bolt - for $80. I'm going to be doing mine in the next few months.
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2012, 09:38 AM   #3
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Check the high pressure switch.
JS97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.