AC Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > AC Help

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail 99-04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Dark Headlights Clear Cor99-04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Chrome Headlights

Unread 06-04-2013, 08:38 PM   #1
RaevynCarrion
1996 ZJ 

AC Help

So, I put a hole in my A/C condenser last summer, and with temperatures already hitting 90+ this year, I need to replace it so I can keep the little one cool in the summer. I bought a new condenser, but was told I'd have to "Evacuate" the system, and can't really use the A/C Pro store-bought can stuff to refill it.

Any tips/how-tos/general directions?

Much appreciated.

96 ZJ Laredo
i6 4.0, Auto trans

RaevynCarrion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 09:01 PM   #2
deermjd
1992 YJ Wrangler 

You will need a refrigerant manifold guage. It will have low and high pressure gauges and fittings as well as a yellow hose for a can tap. You will also need a refrigerant vacuum pump that will attach to the guage set. The vacuum pump is used to pull a complete vacuum on the AC system to remove moisture and noncondensable gases. Unless you already have these items or have access to them you are much better off it to take it to a shop to evacuate and recharge your system.
deermjd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 09:03 PM   #3
deermjd
1992 YJ Wrangler 

But you can replace the condenser yourself assuming the system has no refrigerant charge.
deermjd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 02:41 PM   #4
zj97ltd
1993 ZJ 

A lot of places will also say if you're opening up your system, replace the receiver/dryer while you're at it.
zj97ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 02:53 PM   #5
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zj97ltd View Post
A lot of places will also say if you're opening up your system, replace the receiver/dryer while you're at it.
Yes, especially if you live in a humid climate. The receiver/dryer has a dessicant in it that removes moisture from the conditioned air to prevent mold build up and evaporator freeze up. Since your system has been open (hole in the condenser) for quite some time now, it is safe to say that your receiver/dryer probably won't function correctly if you re-use it.

Rock Auto has the receiver/dryer with hoses for right around $40 IIRC.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 04:39 PM   #6
RaevynCarrion
1996 ZJ 

How much should it cost to get the system evacuated?
Unread 06-05-2013, 04:54 PM   #7
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

Probaly an hour of shop labor maybe 30. 60 up depending on the shop. Strongly suggest replacing the reciever drier. A long vacumn will be needed to wrest the moisture out of thr dessicant in the drier if possible. If you have any vo-tech schools in your area the students will do it for a fee probaly cheaper than any other way.
Unread 06-05-2013, 04:55 PM   #8
a70eliminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples View Post
Yes, especially if you live in a humid climate. The receiver/dryer has a dessicant in it that removes moisture from the conditioned air to prevent mold build up and evaporator freeze up. Since your system has been open (hole in the condenser) for quite some time now, it is safe to say that your receiver/dryer probably won't function correctly if you re-use it.

Rock Auto has the receiver/dryer with hoses for right around $40 IIRC.
Your partially right as it does have a dessicant surrounded by a filter although it's purpose has nothing to do with conditioned air, it is part of the refrigeration cycle.
a70eliminator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 05:09 PM   #9
RaevynCarrion
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by a70eliminator View Post
Your partially right as it does have a dessicant surrounded by a filter although it's purpose has nothing to do with conditioned air, it is part of the refrigeration cycle.
So, is it necessary that I replace this? I'm partially repairing the A/C for the value of the truck, but mostly because I need it for the baby.
Unread 06-05-2013, 05:27 PM   #10
a70eliminator

It's my opinion that yes you absolutely should replace the reciever dryer, I have 4 years of HVAC school universal certified and have 20yrs of in the field of HVACR, standard practice is new dryer especially on refrigeration.
However, I repaired the condenser on my own jeep that got punctured and did not replace the dryer, I also replaced the orings in my wifes AC hoses and did not replace the dryer either, just purged them down to about 200 microns which took overnight to dehydrate, thats the beauty of owning a vac, pump and micron meter.
If I were a plumber I would be up to my neck in water too.
My AC's all work efficiently despite my backyard practices but would never recommend to anybody to not install new dryers.
Clear as Mudd!
Unread 06-05-2013, 05:30 PM   #11
RaevynCarrion
1996 ZJ 

So if it worked okay for you, that makes me a little less weary about not having the cash for the dryer. Do you think pulling one from the scrap yard would be safe?
Unread 06-05-2013, 05:40 PM   #12
a70eliminator

You'll probably be fine as long as your compressor didn't blow, It takes only 1 tiny molecule of moisture in a system to freeze and block the orifice of the suction line, tiny fragments of metal from a blown rod or wiped bearing in the compressor will get there too, there's just so many variables. Are you planning to take it to a speedy re-charge place? Without a vacuum pump your wasting money on cans of r134 from wally world.
A junkyard reciever is definately no, a new is about 40bux and comes with the assosiated o-rings and hoses, not bad.
Unread 06-05-2013, 05:53 PM   #13
RaevynCarrion
1996 ZJ 

Rock Auto actually has one for 30ish, so there's that. I don't know of any places, but I'm looking into it. I still haven't swapped the condenser, and the compressor was actually just put in last year and worked fine when I had it recharged then.
Unread 06-05-2013, 06:51 PM   #14
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

The pain will be getting the the hose connection loose from the evap connection at the firewall which requires an inexpensive tool available at parts houses. Sometimes the installation of the connection goes smoothly and sometimes it doesn't. The tugging involved starts another leak in the evaporator or the new hose doesn't mate properly. AC is a pain sometimes and often not cheap. BIG LOTS, a florida chain, currently sells 134A for $9 a pound. Eliminator is giving you good advice. On a side note, how did you come up with a nic that equates to crow road kill?
Unread 06-05-2013, 07:05 PM   #15
RaevynCarrion
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralman View Post
The pain will be getting the the hose connection loose from the evap connection at the firewall which requires an inexpensive tool available at parts houses. Sometimes the installation of the connection goes smoothly and sometimes it doesn't. The tugging involved starts another leak in the evaporator or the new hose doesn't mate properly. AC is a pain sometimes and often not cheap. BIG LOTS, a florida chain, currently sells 134A for $9 a pound. Eliminator is giving you good advice. On a side note, how did you come up with a nic that equates to crow road kill?
Nic? Crow road kill?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.