AC Evaporator fixed. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > AC Evaporator fixed.

Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Savvy FREE SHIPPING!

Unread 08-03-2003, 10:30 PM   #1
nodkaGSR

AC Evaporator fixed.

I posted a while ago that I was planning to replace the AC evaporator. Well I finally go thte time and let me say it was a pain. I managed to find some guidelines on the net. Although it took half of the day and a lot of cursing and a few beers, It saved me almost $1000. AC has been cold for almost 3 weeks now. If anyone has a question just post it and I'll try to help. It is a pain in the neck, but it is doable for someone with some knowlege.
-Rob

nodkaGSR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2003, 09:23 AM   #2
Millican

Did you take any pictures while is was coming apart?
Millican is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-04-2003, 11:25 AM   #3
automan25

I, and I think most everyone else here, would be really interested in a detailed breakdown of the process. Also, how did you determine that is was your evaporator that was faulty? I suspect that my evap is the source of my A/C failure as well, but I'd hate to go through all the trouble of replacing it only to find that the problem lies elsewhere.

Last edited by automan25; 08-04-2003 at 11:28 AM..
automan25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2003, 02:02 AM   #4
nodkaGSR

I'll get a complete breakdown of the process, unfortunatly I didn't take any pictures because I just wanted to get it done. As for determining the cause, I had a leak test done on it and they couldn't find anything wrong with the hoses or compressor etc, so they said it was probably the evaporator. After some research I concluded that most of these Jeeps and Chryslers had this problem. When I finally got it out there was oil all over the place, and you could tell that it was leaking. I can't do much more tonight to fill everyone in, cause I have a physics final tomorrow.
Unread 08-05-2003, 02:07 AM   #5
nodkaGSR

http://home.sc.rr.com/janet/TSB/24-02-98R.htm

I didn't realize this was still in MY Favorites. These are the complete step by step instructions that I believe were published by Jeep. Any questions just let me know.
Unread 08-05-2003, 10:21 AM   #6
automan25

Do you suspect that the new evaporator will last longer than the crummy factory one?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.