AC Drain Tube - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > AC Drain Tube

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 05-05-2006, 02:19 PM   #1
tek2977

AC Drain Tube

Hello,
For some time now I am getting a musty smell when i turn on the AC.....Read about the TSB to correct a clogged drain tube since it sounds like what I may have. I followed the directions on this website(http://home.sc.rr.com/janet/TSB/24-06-96.htm) When I drilled through I stuck a wire hanger about 2 feet in and didnt feel anything, there was no water leaking out of the hole a drilled. I began to drive the wire up towards the top of the dash thinking my plug was above there.....debris began to come through the hole and out of the vents ( I had the AC on high). Still no water coming out of the hole.....???? I have been running the AC all day long and I have not noticed water coming out from under the car.....when I drive though, I can hear water sloshing from that area......HELP!

tek2977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2006, 06:13 PM   #2
sgarlic

You can spray half a can of lysol in to the intake cowl vent near the windshield on the outside with the a/c on full blast. That will kill mildew/bacteria growing on the evaporator core.
96 5.2 Ltd - Flame Red - Every factory option except engine block heater, [URL="http://www.sgarlic.com/jeepsite/dccfan.html"]Taurus Electric Fan / Delta Current Controller[/URL], removed silencer, 15% tint.
sgarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2006, 10:19 PM   #3
Colorado 5.9
1998 ZJ 

Usually when the drain hole is plugged, it will drain into the cab instead of outside. If all's your getting is the smell then I would do the Lysol thing.
ZJ 98 5.9 LTD. Lots of mods. 7" T&T's Long Arm Lift ,BFG KM2"s,35X12.50x16's,4:56's, Vanco brake upgrade, M1intake,Holley52mmTB,MikeLeach Headers,, Arb'ed HP D30,Aussie Locked rear,Procomp MX6 Shocks,Arb front,RearTR bumpers,ECT.ECT.

Latest Pics
Colorado 5.9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2006, 05:12 AM   #4
tek2977

Any idea what to do about the water sloshing???? I find it odd that running the AC on all day produced no water under the truck
tek2977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2006, 08:17 PM   #5
OneGravenKiss

I have water coming out on the outside and i notice today that i had a lake in my passenger side floor board,could it still be the heater core even though i disconnected the hoses in the engine and bypassed them?I am totally stumped on this one and i am growing tired of the water coming in. Pleas help!!!!
OneGravenKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2006, 08:40 PM   #6
zjhitman

If the water is clear, it's condensation from the A/C. Do the fix listed in the beginning of the thread. If you did not have your heater core bypassed, and the water was green like anti-freeze, you would have a different problem.
Unread 05-08-2006, 09:09 AM   #7
OneGravenKiss

well the heater hoses are already by passed becuase i thought the water would be coming from the heater core leaking so i disconnected them buuuutttt there is still water coming in and here is the good part,the a/c drains from the bottom of the car were its suppose to. When i pulled back the carpet and i felt the black enclosure where the coils are i noticed it was wet and there is this black piece that goes through the fire wall that has a sponge like material between it and the fire wall and when i put my finger between that alot of water comes out.
Unread 05-08-2006, 11:38 AM   #8
zjhitman

Just because some water comes out underneath, does not mean the drain is entirely clear. Do the fix in the first thread. That should fix your problem.
Unread 05-09-2006, 07:51 AM   #9
OneGravenKiss

thank you
Unread 05-09-2006, 10:36 AM   #10
OneGravenKiss

oh another thing where would i find the plug needed for the hole that you drill? home depot or something like that?
Unread 05-10-2006, 02:35 PM   #11
sgarlic

Just use black RTV to fill in the hole. Much easier to find.
96 5.2 Ltd - Flame Red - Every factory option except engine block heater, [URL="http://www.sgarlic.com/jeepsite/dccfan.html"]Taurus Electric Fan / Delta Current Controller[/URL], removed silencer, 15% tint.
sgarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2006, 08:39 AM   #12
OneGravenKiss

i rather use both so i dont have another leak
Unread 05-11-2006, 10:59 AM   #13
JamesEric

Lowes has 1/4 plugs in the specialty fastener drawers in the hardward section.
JamesEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2006, 02:07 PM   #14
OneGravenKiss

Thanks james!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.