AC Drain Tube - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > AC Drain Tube

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 05-05-2006, 03:19 PM   #1
tek2977

AC Drain Tube

Hello,
For some time now I am getting a musty smell when i turn on the AC.....Read about the TSB to correct a clogged drain tube since it sounds like what I may have. I followed the directions on this website(http://home.sc.rr.com/janet/TSB/24-06-96.htm) When I drilled through I stuck a wire hanger about 2 feet in and didnt feel anything, there was no water leaking out of the hole a drilled. I began to drive the wire up towards the top of the dash thinking my plug was above there.....debris began to come through the hole and out of the vents ( I had the AC on high). Still no water coming out of the hole.....???? I have been running the AC all day long and I have not noticed water coming out from under the car.....when I drive though, I can hear water sloshing from that area......HELP!

tek2977 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2006, 07:13 PM   #2
sgarlic

You can spray half a can of lysol in to the intake cowl vent near the windshield on the outside with the a/c on full blast. That will kill mildew/bacteria growing on the evaporator core.
96 5.2 Ltd - Flame Red - Every factory option except engine block heater, [URL="http://www.sgarlic.com/jeepsite/dccfan.html"]Taurus Electric Fan / Delta Current Controller[/URL], removed silencer, 15% tint.
sgarlic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2006, 11:19 PM   #3
Colorado 5.9
1998 ZJ 

Usually when the drain hole is plugged, it will drain into the cab instead of outside. If all's your getting is the smell then I would do the Lysol thing.
ZJ 98 5.9 LTD. Lots of mods. 7" T&T's Long Arm Lift ,BFG KM2"s,35X12.50x16's,4:56's, Vanco brake upgrade, M1intake,Holley52mmTB,MikeLeach Headers,, Arb'ed HP D30,Aussie Locked rear,Procomp MX6 Shocks,Arb front,RearTR bumpers,ECT.ECT.

Latest Pics
Colorado 5.9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2006, 06:12 AM   #4
tek2977

Any idea what to do about the water sloshing???? I find it odd that running the AC on all day produced no water under the truck
tek2977 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2006, 09:17 PM   #5
OneGravenKiss

I have water coming out on the outside and i notice today that i had a lake in my passenger side floor board,could it still be the heater core even though i disconnected the hoses in the engine and bypassed them?I am totally stumped on this one and i am growing tired of the water coming in. Pleas help!!!!
OneGravenKiss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2006, 09:40 PM   #6
zjhitman

If the water is clear, it's condensation from the A/C. Do the fix listed in the beginning of the thread. If you did not have your heater core bypassed, and the water was green like anti-freeze, you would have a different problem.
Unread 05-08-2006, 10:09 AM   #7
OneGravenKiss

well the heater hoses are already by passed becuase i thought the water would be coming from the heater core leaking so i disconnected them buuuutttt there is still water coming in and here is the good part,the a/c drains from the bottom of the car were its suppose to. When i pulled back the carpet and i felt the black enclosure where the coils are i noticed it was wet and there is this black piece that goes through the fire wall that has a sponge like material between it and the fire wall and when i put my finger between that alot of water comes out.
Unread 05-08-2006, 12:38 PM   #8
zjhitman

Just because some water comes out underneath, does not mean the drain is entirely clear. Do the fix in the first thread. That should fix your problem.
Unread 05-09-2006, 08:51 AM   #9
OneGravenKiss

thank you
Unread 05-09-2006, 11:36 AM   #10
OneGravenKiss

oh another thing where would i find the plug needed for the hole that you drill? home depot or something like that?
Unread 05-10-2006, 03:35 PM   #11
sgarlic

Just use black RTV to fill in the hole. Much easier to find.
96 5.2 Ltd - Flame Red - Every factory option except engine block heater, [URL="http://www.sgarlic.com/jeepsite/dccfan.html"]Taurus Electric Fan / Delta Current Controller[/URL], removed silencer, 15% tint.
sgarlic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2006, 09:39 AM   #12
OneGravenKiss

i rather use both so i dont have another leak
Unread 05-11-2006, 11:59 AM   #13
JamesEric

Lowes has 1/4 plugs in the specialty fastener drawers in the hardward section.
JamesEric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2006, 03:07 PM   #14
OneGravenKiss

Thanks james!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.