Ac compressor & siezed clutch analysis - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Ac compressor & siezed clutch analysis

Ford Explorer 8.8 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Kit C Clip ElimStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 05-20-2013, 05:16 PM   #1
angry_trucker
1998 FSJ Cherokee 

Ac compressor & siezed clutch analysis

So after "jumping" the switch as seen here:
I arrived to the conclusion, that the clutch is seized, since the clutch plate inside the pulley wouldn't spin...
Today I decided to take the clutch plate off to see what is in there...

I pried the plate off by using 2 screwdrivers and a lot of swearing...
The plates are a bit rusty, but don't look too bad...
I sprayed bunch of brake parts cleaner to get the clutch dust out of there and wiped everything clean...

When I put it back on, I didn't realize, that when the plate came off it dropped under the Jeep and a little washer/spacer came out...this made the clutch plate spin, because now there was no space in between the plates...
I took advantage of this and tried to run the AC with it spinning, but still no cold air...

Would it be reasonable to assume that based on my description of events, not only the clutch is seized, but it is also low on freon?

angry_trucker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 08:31 PM   #2
Afdude88
1993 ZJ 

Uh, yeah. That or your compressor is shot.

1993 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.0L AW-4
Afdude88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2013, 09:32 PM   #3
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

After jumping the AC with the paper clip method, is it ok to leave the paper clip in there as a temperary fix until I figure out why the compressor isnt kicking on... Which could be a long time
StPaul59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2013, 10:56 PM   #4
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Anybody?
Unread 07-03-2013, 11:02 PM   #5
jm8881
1996 ZJ 

It is not ok to leave the jumper in there. That switch is there for safety reasons.
jm8881 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2013, 03:04 AM   #6
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Agree not a good idea to leave that jumper in there. I'd make sure your horn works and then switch your horn relay with your AC relay in the PDC. If clutch clutch/compressor still doesn't kick on it not that hard/pricey to put a can or 2 of 134a, one with UV dye, in there. Autozone and/or Advance has loaner sets of manifold gauges you can borrow to get the pressure correct.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2013, 08:13 AM   #7
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Thanks! I'll get some r134 in there. Relays work fine...
Unread 07-04-2013, 10:29 AM   #8
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

No problem and the way the loaner manifold gauge deal works is you pay full price for the gauges ($100-$150), can keep for 90 days, and return for a full refund. Some just buy a can of 134a with the hose/gauge attached but I don't trust those gauges and those things are pricey. You can buy a brass valve for using on just the can for $10-$12 then connect it right to the middle suction line on the manifold gauge set. I also bought a pair of yellow glasses with UV pen light set at Autozone for $11 so you can see where the UV dye is coming out easily. But if the leak's in the evaporator in the dash sometimes you can see the dye come out of the drain tube/frame, quite a job to replace, and I've done 2.

I just replaced most of my AC parts, did the evaporator a couple years ago, and thought I got a heck of a deal at carparts.com. Brand new Denso AC compressor was $200 and Denso accumulator (filter/dryer) with hoses attached was $70. Know that seems like a lot of $ but real high-quality parts. Depends on how bad you want AC if your compressor is toast. Maybe not as hot/humid up in MN as it is here and I need AC! Good luck!

Unread 07-04-2013, 12:30 PM   #9
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
No problem and the way the loaner manifold gauge deal works is you pay full price for the gauges ($100-$150), can keep for 90 days, and return for a full refund. Some just buy a can of 134a with the hose/gauge attached but I don't trust those gauges and those things are pricey. You can buy a brass valve for using on just the can for $10-$12 then connect it right to the middle suction line on the manifold gauge set. I also bought a pair of yellow glasses with UV pen light set at Autozone for $11 so you can see where the UV dye is coming out easily. But if the leak's in the evaporator in the dash sometimes you can see the dye come out of the drain tube/frame, quite a job to replace, and I've done 2.

I just replaced most of my AC parts, did the evaporator a couple years ago, and thought I got a heck of a deal at carparts.com. Brand new Denso AC compressor was $200 and Denso accumulator (filter/dryer) with hoses attached was $70. Know that seems like a lot of $ but real high-quality parts. Depends on how bad you want AC if your compressor is toast. Maybe not as hot/humid up in MN as it is here and I need AC! Good luck!

It gets pretty warm here! I put a can of r134 in there and it took the whole can to get it somewhat cold and the compressor kicks on without the wire I had shoved in there. The gauge is on the middle half of the green, so a little more should make it colder. I might look into a more accurate gauge but for now I am doing the happy dance and the moon walk!
Unread 07-04-2013, 12:41 PM   #10
jm8881
1996 ZJ 

Start looking for leaks, mine worked great for about 2 days but then didn't have the pressure to work after that.
jm8881 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2013, 01:52 PM   #11
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaul59 View Post
It gets pretty warm here! I put a can of r134 in there and it took the whole can to get it somewhat cold and the compressor kicks on without the wire I had shoved in there. The gauge is on the middle half of the green, so a little more should make it colder. I might look into a more accurate gauge but for now I am doing the happy dance and the moon walk!
Good deal and glad it's working now! Hope it holds up and like was just mentioned look for leaks. My AC compressor was still working but one of the reason's I replaced it was because was leaking out of the front seal which became progressively worse and couldn't find a way to get it repaired. POS NAPA Cold Power compressor I paid $300 for and started leaking 2 months out of the 1-year warranty. Both the local NAPA and Cold Power wouldn't do crap so they lost all of my business!

Unread 07-04-2013, 06:55 PM   #12
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

I've added one can of freon in mine in the last 15 years. On a 100* day, max air, you could hang meat in 20 minutes.

looking for some wood to knock on...
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2013, 04:40 AM   #13
coralman
new wrangler prototype

1998 ZJ 

I've been looking at a delphi for 200, denso still offers the V8 comp,but not the one for the 6. Delphis ususally go for 260 up I think. Mopar only has rebuilt.

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2013, 10:17 AM   #14
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Strange coralman that I was able to find a Denso AC compressor for my 96 4.0 a couple months ago but can't find a Denso which fits a 97-98 4.0. Found one for a V8 but not the 4.0 as you said.

One lucky dude Zee in not having any AC problems! Stay cool and I'll also knock on wood for you.

Unread 07-05-2013, 12:20 PM   #15
coralman
new wrangler prototype

1998 ZJ 

Have you seen under Zee's hood? A lovebug wouldn't land on that stuff cause its too clean. I'll bet he doesn't have any rust on the accumalator.

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.