AC Compressor shot. Options...? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > AC Compressor shot. Options...?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 06-12-2009, 10:34 AM   #1
TomMD
1997 ZJ 

AC Compressor shot. Options...?

Hey everyone. Long time ZJ owner, first time writing. So I think my AC compressor is shot. The compressor pulley is locking up/sometimes not spinning at all. I don't use the AC and don't want to spend the cash to replace the compressor so I'm wondering what to do.

I've heard of people buying a dummy idler pulley to replace the AC compressor pulley but I believe I would have to buy a bracket as well as the pulley (also $$).

What I would like to do (not sure if it's possible) is to leave the dead compressor in place, buy a smaller serpentine belt, and run it, omitting the compressor pulley. I've looked and all the pulleys would still spin the proper way.

Has anyone done this? Know what size belt to buy?

Can I just leave AC compressor in place, or do I have to take it out. Or remove power supply?

Any help is appreciated!

TomMD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2009, 01:02 PM   #2
ZeJokee
1993 ZJ 

You can buy a smaller serpentine belt to just bypass the compressor. I would unplug the power from the compressor also. Some where on top of the radiator there should be a diagram on how to route the belt with out the compressor.
99 WJ Ltd, Blacked out, 4.7L, 242j Swap, 2'' BB, 245/75/16 Kuhmo Venture AT KL78, Flow Master Super 40, MagnaFlow high flow Cat, Akebono caliper upgrade, Addco rear swaybar, Westin brush guard, Moog Super Trail Boss, Rancho RS5000, Rola roof rack with dual kayak J hooks, PAC-AOEM-CHR, Sony Xplod 1200w amp, 2 Sony Xplod 12'' subs, 118,XXX miles (SOLD)
93 ZJ Ltd, Blacked out, 5.2L, Reman 46RH, Reman 242 Swap, 3.5'' IRO + 2" BB, 33x12.50r15 Mud Claw MTX radials, Bushwacker Flares, 216,XXX miles (Still parked in NC)
04 F-350 SD Crew Cab FX4 Lariat, 6.0 PSD SRW, Head studs, AFE Stage 2 SI Pro Guard 7 intake, Blue Spring mod, 150,XXX Miles

ZeJokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2009, 01:49 PM   #3
TomMD
1997 ZJ 

That's what I figured. Thanks. Anyone know what size belt would work?
TomMD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2009, 02:01 PM   #4
ZeJokee
1993 ZJ 

Advance or auto zone should be able to look you up one, just ell them what engine you have and you do not have AC.
99 WJ Ltd, Blacked out, 4.7L, 242j Swap, 2'' BB, 245/75/16 Kuhmo Venture AT KL78, Flow Master Super 40, MagnaFlow high flow Cat, Akebono caliper upgrade, Addco rear swaybar, Westin brush guard, Moog Super Trail Boss, Rancho RS5000, Rola roof rack with dual kayak J hooks, PAC-AOEM-CHR, Sony Xplod 1200w amp, 2 Sony Xplod 12'' subs, 118,XXX miles (SOLD)
93 ZJ Ltd, Blacked out, 5.2L, Reman 46RH, Reman 242 Swap, 3.5'' IRO + 2" BB, 33x12.50r15 Mud Claw MTX radials, Bushwacker Flares, 216,XXX miles (Still parked in NC)
04 F-350 SD Crew Cab FX4 Lariat, 6.0 PSD SRW, Head studs, AFE Stage 2 SI Pro Guard 7 intake, Blue Spring mod, 150,XXX Miles

ZeJokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2009, 03:33 PM   #5
reddevils
1999 TJ Wrangler 

mine locked up on mine a couple of yrs ago,come to find out someone had added toooo much r34,just a little me.ac man told mehe had never seen but a very few zj compressos lock up.have it checked out first

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.