AC compressor delete options? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > AC compressor delete options?

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 05-23-2013, 05:34 AM   #1
ErikTheRad
1993 ZJ 

AC compressor delete options?

The A/C compressor in my 93 parted this cruel world many years ago and I have no intention of replacing it. Its nothing more than a dead-weight idler pulley. What are my options to ditch it completely? Does anyone offer a pulley/bracket or other apparatus to mount in place of the deceased compressor?

ErikTheRad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2013, 05:57 AM   #2
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

Yes they do. It's a very common mod. Dorman makes one that's $28 + shipping from RockAuto. Look up "AC Compressor Bypass Pulley".
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2013, 09:06 AM   #3
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

2 options

remove the compressor and get the bolt in pulley and use the stock size belt or

remove or leave the compressor and use a shorter belt

if you want the motor to run way cooler, remove the condenser too

I removed the compressor and did a shorter belt
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2013, 11:29 AM   #4
AaronButler
1996 ZJ 

I dont know how the 93 differs from the 96 ZJs, but I ditched my AC, and AutoZone didnt have a belt that bypassed the AC (in their system anyway). Upon doing some research I found that a 79.5'' belt wrapped around everything MINUS the AC compressor. The pulleys were about 30-40 bucks from what I saw vs. a ~10-15 dollar belt.
Unread 05-23-2013, 05:36 PM   #5
ErikTheRad
1993 ZJ 

Aaron-- Are you absolutely POSITIVE on the length of the shorter belt at 79.5"?? I'd much rather just go to a shorter belt than have to use a do-nothing pulley. How is the belt tension and installation with the shorter belt?
Unread 05-23-2013, 06:23 PM   #6
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikTheRad
Aaron-- Are you absolutely POSITIVE on the length of the shorter belt at 79.5"?? I'd much rather just go to a shorter belt than have to use a do-nothing pulley. How is the belt tension and installation with the shorter belt?
Whoa whoa whoa. I don't think it's 79.5". My whole AC system is out and I'm running an 82.5" belt.

http://thespeedfreaks.net/showthread...-needs-belt-PN

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome
2 options

remove the compressor and get the bolt in pulley and use the stock size belt or

remove or leave the compressor and use a shorter belt

if you want the motor to run way cooler, remove the condenser too

I removed the compressor and did a shorter belt
I removed the condenser and put a PS and tranny cooler in its place.
On the Jeep:Hot intake, 52mm TB, Summit 8mm wires, catch can, 703s, insulated fuel rails, indexed Champions, Bilstein 4600s, Eibach lowering springs, Moog SS, Ironman mounts, Lotek 2GP, lots of gauges, sparkly paint.
In the garage: M1 4bbl
In the works: Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
McCloudsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2013, 08:47 PM   #7
ErikTheRad
1993 ZJ 

McClouds, not sure if it matters, but the thread you linked discusses belt length for a 5.9L. Mine is a 5.2
Unread 05-23-2013, 08:55 PM   #8
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikTheRad
McClouds, not sure if it matters, but the thread you linked discusses belt length for a 5.9L. Mine is a 5.2
It doesn't AFAIK.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using JeepForum
On the Jeep:Hot intake, 52mm TB, Summit 8mm wires, catch can, 703s, insulated fuel rails, indexed Champions, Bilstein 4600s, Eibach lowering springs, Moog SS, Ironman mounts, Lotek 2GP, lots of gauges, sparkly paint.
In the works: Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
Unread 05-24-2013, 01:49 AM   #9
jabba974
1996 ZJ 

I'm with AVR2...Buy the A/C eliminator pulley from Dorman products...That way you dont have to worry about having to remeber what belt you used when it comes time to replace it...and for the money they want for those, its not worth the headache to trying to figure out the correct length and routing of a different belt...and don't forget that if you do it that way, to make sure the water pump turns the correct way when your done..
jabba974 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2013, 03:28 AM   #10
ErikTheRad
1993 ZJ 

Removing the compressor shouldn't confuse anyone as to the routing of the belt, there would simply be one less pulley to wrap around. Everything else would go the same direction and wrap around the other pulleys just the same.
Unread 05-24-2013, 05:58 AM   #11
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

There's a picture under the hood showing the belt routing for no compressor... I have faith in you guys. You can figure it out.

Those dummy pulleys are terrible quality. They're flimsy and mine squeaked out of the box. I threw it away and got the shorter belt.

Unread 05-24-2013, 08:57 AM   #12
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCloudsZJ View Post
I removed the condenser and put a PS and tranny cooler in its place.
As did I!

Nice having a little room in that area isn't it? Summers are hot here tho is the downside.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2013, 10:10 AM   #13
AaronButler
1996 ZJ 

ah, sorry, i didnt see that you had the v8. Mines the 4.0 and Im positive mines 79.5''
Unread 05-24-2013, 12:14 PM   #14
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronButler
ah, sorry, i didnt see that you had the v8. Mines the 4.0 and Im positive mines 79.5''
Makes sense. The 4.0 does use a shorter belt.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.